Anyone else get absolutely useless knives given to them?

PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
edited November 2011 in Man Cave
Was joking with a buddy of mine earlier about useless knives so I had to bring up one that was given to me way back in high school as a gift that has to be the most pointless thing ever. Now it's the thought that counts and some decorative knives are useless too. But this isn't decorative, I think someone intended this thing to be used:

ZZGy0.jpg

Behold! Uber tactical kukri... thing. No heft, not much edge, crappy serrations, small, ugly, ????

Anyone else get stuff like this when someone catches wind that you enjoy knives but they're not too knowledgeable about it themselves? Bless whoever gave me the above abortion, really, but it's still pretty comical you have to admit.

Comments

• white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    that knife is for fighting theres a simial one in the middle of this video
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited November 2011
    That black one is absolutely nothing like mine. There is far more usable edge on it.

Edit - To be less contrite here, the one I posted has a saw back, small serrations, nonsense curves, and seems to be clearly intended as some kind of "XTREME!" survival knife. You can fight with any knife, some are better than others. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that picks that one. The one in the video is clearly intended as a fighting weapon and has a fully edged belly. It "knows what it is", it's not trying to do 50 things at once and failing at all of them. You could cite length, but if you gave the length of mine to the one in the video, it would make a lot more sense than mine. It's pretty obvious that whoever grinded mine down in China thought "Oh this looks cool someone will like it" with little regard to practical application.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited November 2011
    it has the tie almost the curve the teeth n yours are for disarming its used in the same way as the video
  • edited November 2011
    Haha, I'm far from a knife expert but even I can tell that it's a piece of garbage. The sad thing is, someone probably payed more than they should have done just to aquire this knife :( Glad it's foudn it's way to a good owner, even if it is comical.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited November 2011
    Don't think I've ever gotten something like that.
    I do have my share of useless gift swiss army knockoffs.
    Blades are shit, and I doubt their ability to hold an edge.
    Sometimes the tools wouldn't come out properly.
    Had a few break on me.
    Got a leatherman knockoff for christmas one year.
    It's such a piece of shit for the above reasons that it gets used only when I need a pair of pliers that I don't care about breaking.

Thinking about it, I've only been gifted two good knives.
    One when I was 10, an original model swiss army with black finish.
    The other, a CRKT Mini My Tighe. Great fucking blade.

So, yeah, Psych, I feel ya.
    Totally appreciate the gesture, but some research would have been appreciated as well.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    I had someone send me this piece of shit once.

Dark-Ops-Knives-IE-E-1-rw-8540-4286.jpg
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited November 2011
    Haha, oh man, I nearly choked on my coffee at that. I think that's actually a comb with a small blade function on it.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    There are some who think that it is the most elite bad ass knife on earth.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    You could always swing it and hit someone/thing? Failing that, a plug cord also works for that.