How to generate UVC light?

fagfag Regular
edited November 2011 in Life
So I want to generate obscene amounts of UVC(about 260nm) lightwaves, in order to rapidly sterilize areas. Im talking like, when you turn this array on, you want to be wearing a welding hood and a lead shield over your groin(possibly a welding hood over your head too) It seems all these consumer air purifier things are anemic, overpriced, and fucking stupid. I want the light to have direct contact with surfaces, so an enclosed air intake with a UVC bulb isn't really an option.

UVC bulbs are available for fairly cheap, though I don't know what kind of fixture or power supply to use for them.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-G23-9W-PLS-POND-FILTER-UV-UVC-BULB-LIGHT-TUBE-LAMP-/110730844939?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item19c8129b0b

You know how a green laser is actually an IR laser with a filter to turn it green? Or how fluorescent bulbs are actually producing UV light that fluoresce another material in producing a visible wavelength? Is it possible to do the opposite to an ordinary bulb? Say for example, a high output halogen, heatlamp, or even an array of high-output CFL bulbs?

Then there is the LED option..But Im not really sure how many would be required, nor how to calculate it.

Comments

• juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    The bulbs you have in your link are just light bulbs. You need a socket to fight that bulb. You want to first figure out how big you want this contraption.

Try this site

The stuff on this site is used inside air conditioners. They can easily work out side of them also.
    I
    f they are 120 volts you can modify them to work off a wall socket. Just dont look at them too long or you will sunburn your eyes.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    jugg wrote: »
    The stuff on this site is used inside air conditioners. They can easily work out side of them also.
    I[/URL]f they are 120 volts you can modify them to work off a wall socket. Just dont look at them too long or you will sunburn your eyes.

Those things seem absurdly overpriced.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    You can get them for about 175 to 250 if you really shopped, or cheaper if you knew someone who can buy the equipment whole sale. One bulb will probably do what you need though.

The website if linked was just to give you an idea of the product that would work the best for you.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah..The bulbs themselves are cheap. But they seem to have a proprietary fixture, forcing you to pay out the ass for the overpriced power supply.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    When you buy the the lights I linked its kinda of like buying a car. They are the retail prices. If you shop around you can get them cheaper. Go to air conditioner suplly stores. Johnstone/gemair etc.. they carry these lights. They have lights that go on sale all the time too. If you have any friends that work as ac techs they get them at whole sale prices.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    fag wrote: »
    a lead shield over your groin(

Just wear pants. You don't need lead to block UV light. Gamma rays on the other hand...
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Just wear pants. You don't need lead to block UV light. Gamma rays on the other hand...

Im already wearing pants. And it doesn't help to fulfill my requirement of UVC light.
    edited November 2011
    Im already wearing pants. And it doesn't help to fulfill my requirement of UVC light.

I was talking about shielding. Anyway you can get fluorescent tubes that are just clear glass tubes without phosphor that produce UV light.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Of course. Was just messing with you. I realize wvc is pretty easy to circumvent..

Bulbs are probably the route Im going to take. They are easy to find. Just finding a proper fixture/p-supply is difficult..
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Its not that hard. Just find what bulb you want to use. Most light bulb model numbers are on the sockets. Once you get the bulbs you can goggle the socket type and find the device.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    OK! A brief update, if anyone cares. I ended up assembling my own version of the blueray thing jugg suggested. My impression was indeed accurate. They are overpriced as hell. It's just a voltage regulator and two 60w bulbs.

So I got my own ballast and a couple 60w 254nm bulbs from this place: http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com. Cost $200, vs $600. The only work to do was to attach a plug to the ballast and plug the bulbs in. Apparently it is a powerful enough unit to sterilize a 1000-4000sq ft building. So my 50sqft clean room should stay very clean indeed.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Ok I'll be the first to ask. Why do you need a 50sqft clean room that's sterile?
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    Ok I'll be the first to ask. Why do you need a 50sqft clean room that's sterile?

Well it wouldn't exactly be a clean room if it wasn't sterile, would it?
    edited November 2011
    Yes, but what do you need a sterile room for?
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Yes, but what do you need a sterile room for?

For undergoing tasks that a normal room is too unsanitary for, of course!
    edited November 2011
    For undergoing tasks

Such as...
    edited November 2011
    This thread is getting interesting now.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited November 2011
    I think maybe the op needs a clean room for some mycological testing.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah but 50 sqft doesn't give him mush room.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah but 50 sqft doesn't give him mush room.

Clever play on words.

But yes, he is right. 50sq ft is plenty of space. I've got an idea that will enable easy harvest of spores without fucking around with prints. It requires some very sterile conditions, though. Oyster mushrooms sell for as high as $25/lb fresh..Pretty good profit margin to be had.