Red Cross Forced To Deny War Crimes Laws Could Be Applied To Video Games

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited December 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This gave me a good laugh. In the process of researching and then finishing my essay on War Crimes I came across this rather retarded article. Imagine if you could commit a War Crime in a video game. No more Scud Storms, ini Nukes in Falout 3 or "No Russian" in CoD.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has been forced to explicitly deny that players of video games that simulate warfare could be guilty of committing war crimes.

The Red Cross recently discussed video games and their relationship with international humanitarian laws (IHL) at its 31st International Conference.

According to reports, the committee also discussed whether war crimes standards should apply to the virtual victims of war video games.

Don't make me laugh.

Source.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    The mere fact that they had the discussion is worthy of a :facepalm:
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited December 2011
    Only in Britain :facepalm:
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    Only in Britain :facepalm:

The red cross is based in Geneva and the conference was held there?
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited December 2011
    I assumed it was the British red cross with it being reported on the UK part of the Huffington Post.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2011
    Well, it does not really matter where they are, by them discussing it at all, it just goes to show they have too much time and too much money on their hands. They should be out there handing out blankets and difusing landmines, but instead decide to chat on the legalities of a kid playing a game. What next, are they going to be prosecuting children playing 'armies' because they did not respect the cultural diversity of the enemies they are engaging in imaginary fighting with?
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited December 2011
    For fuck sake this is ridiculous, the fact that someone even thought that it was an issue worth discussion is almost too much to be true.
    edited December 2011
    Can you imagine if the criminal justice system thought this way? Everyone who ever played GTA would be on death row.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Ah well if I were on death row for GTA-related crimes, I'd do a little dance, shouting "R1, R1, OH, R2, up down up down up down" to lower my wanted level :hai:
    edited December 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Ah well if I were on death row for GTA-related crimes, I'd do a little dance, shouting "R1, R1, OH, R2, up down up down up down" to lower my wanted level :hai:

That is to much like work, I would play it on the PC and just run the trainer.