How to Create a Stun Gun?

PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
edited December 2011 in Life
Awhile back I made a really simple stun glove that I ended up recently improving by increasing the capacitance, basically it's just a charging capacitor bank that you discharge by touching something. It's fucking crude and I'm not all that happy with it. I was thinking off adding an oscillating transistor to the circuit in order to get a cool whine as it recharges the bank plus actually charges properly. Hey, it's a big glove and it's already impractical as-is unless I want to give someone cardiac arrest.

But what I was also interested in was more of a proper stun gun effect for a second version which I'd like to make just for shits and giggles as more show, less go. I'm looking specifically at how electricity arcs across the contact points on a stun gun and would like to have this effect crackling across the contacts in the fingers of a glove. Do I just need transformers to step up voltage severely and the electricity will arc across the contacts as natural course or...?

Comments

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited December 2011
    You need to reach the breakdown voltage of the air between the contacts. This is usually about 33KV per cm in dry air. I hope your glove provides insulation in this voltage range or you will end up electrocuting yourself LOL
  • PsychlonicPsychlonic Regular
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, right now there's actually not a glove I had in mind to use as the platform. I was thinking about just getting a pair of good insulating lineman's gloves and using whichever side I thought would seem neat. It's a fairly pointless endeavor but I want it to be done "right" for what it is and be at least hypothetically usable. So I'm thinking the lineman glove with part of another glove over top of that to attach/hide the circuitry then transformers and power supply along the back of the glove on a chassis. And perhaps keep the amps really low at first just in case.

Edit - I'm going to need to tear through patents I'm thinking to figure out how the fuck they do it with stun guns without killing the other guy.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited December 2011
    You need high voltage and low current for it to be safe. A cap will give you high current discharge. What you need is a cap powering a voltage multiplier so you convert the current into voltage.

I found this but I don't think the voltage will reach the breakdown voltage of air.

http://stungunreviews.tripod.com/stun-gun-schematics.html

But this will hehehe.

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/marxgen.htm