Open Carried for the First Time Yesterday

fagfag Regular
edited December 2011 in Man Cave
So I don't yet have a ccw, but Im legally in the clear to own a firearm. Thankfully, I live in a place that allows for open carry of a sidearm. Due to this being a very shitty white trash area, and me being somewhat shall we say 'different', I tend to have a lot of haters here. One night, I was ambushed by about 15-20 of these fucks. Thanks to being prepared, I got away with just a couple bruises, and one of them ended up going to the hospital to get their ear reattached.

I had a few errands to run that afternoon, so I strapped up a fullsize M&P in a leather thumb break holster, grabbed my phone and wallet, and went out the door. It was surprising how very few people noticed, to say the least. I ran into a friend at the grocery store, and we chatted for 10 minutes or so, with no comment or even a sign that he noticed. The grocery store cashier happened to give an extended glance down to my hip as I was putting my wallet back, but didn't say anything. After a couple uneventful stops, I went to a friends' place to hang out for a bit. It was at least two hours before a single of them noticed.

Anyways, I guess the moral of this can be boiled down into:
1. America, fuck yeah!
2. People are highly unobservant.

Comments

• RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited December 2011
    I remember giving a speech in college advocating concealed carry on campus.
    For dramatic effect, I holstered an airsoft pistol on my right hip.
    That thing was bulky, a touch larger than the M&P .45 (good call, btw).
    No once noticed I had it on.
    I thought someone might.
    Had a loose fitting shirt on, but I was a little paranoid looking in the mirror to see a slight bulge on my side.
    Felt amazing, regardless.
    Think I freaked a few people out when I said "None of you seemed to have noticed I've been carrying the whole time I've been in front of you," and pulled the hunk of junk out.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2011
    For as long as there have been governments there have been those that seek to disarm the populace. Governments fear an armed population.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    I wish I could do this, I mean damn those guns are expensive here.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited December 2011
    DFG what are the gun laws in your home town??
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited December 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    DFG what are the gun laws in your home town??

lol "laws" ;)

So why do some states insist you conceal the weapon and other don't ? What's the reasoning behind that ?
  • fagfag Regular
    edited December 2011
    lol "laws" ;)

So why do some states insist you conceal the weapon and other don't ? What's the reasoning behind that ?

I don't think I can follow the train of thought that the lawmakers do. But I think that some states consider it to be 'brandishing' a weapon. Or that by having it on 'display' you're enticing some sort of gangbanger to ambush you. I think the opposite is true on the latter point. As for the former point, I think that people are so afraid of guns thanks to their upbringing/police/media/etc that they do in fact feel threatened when they see someone packing.
  • RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
    edited December 2011
    The logic behind it baffles the hell out of me, too.
    In NE, likely among a few other states, there are separate permits for open and concealed carry.
    It creates some admittedly grey area regarding firearm ownership.
    You don't need open or concealed permits to own a handgun.
    However, if you take a handgun to a range in your car (leaving it in a case of some sort), depending on the cop, you can be cited for carrying concealed without a permit.
    It's a legal issue only because there is a lack of definition in my state's laws.
    I don't fucking get it, man.