It's windy as fuck in England

edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Any fellow Britfags enjoying the awesome power of nature? I walked home from the pub earlier and there were bins overturned all down the street with old paper and other shit flying around everywhere, was a right laugh. Right now I think the conservatory roof is actually about to blow off though, the damn thing actually lifts up every time a gust gets underneath it. Makes for an interesting sound though!

Comments

• dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2012
    I live in Northern England. Much like Scotland, it has been too windy to do anything much for the last 6 weeks. Some days the wind is cold, some not so cold. I dug all the bits of my garden that needed winter digging in October and November. I go in my garden now to harvest some brussle sprouts, some kale, some cabage or bring onoins from the shed mostly. Its windy, but I get my rewards for it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    You know what you need to do, RECORD THE DAMN THING
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Aye, it's been terribly windy in Wales. I love it!! :D
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Put up a wind turbine. It should provide a good source of free energy.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    You know what you need to do, RECORD THE DAMN THING

A few videos. The second one is pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16424841

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16393280

But yeah, it made for a good time walking my puppy. Poor sod almost learnt how to fly.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    Quick, one of you buy a kite.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited January 2012
    It's not fun when you're on playground duty at work, and have to stand in the strong winds while you make sure the kids don't blow away.
    edited January 2012
    ^Put rocks in their pockets.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited January 2012
    ^ and keep them away from the floods.
  • NonmaeNonmae Semo-Regulars
    edited January 2012
    Here where I am located in England it's not so bad but it's still freezing as fuck when you walk in it and apparently a few trees have fallen down , I did see a rather heavy looking wooden fence that had been blown over the other day , all in all rather bloody windy I love it :3
    edited January 2012
    Nonmae wrote: »
    rather bloody windy I love it :3

Strangely enough, so did I. There's something about staying in on an inhospitable day, hearing the rain and wind batter your windows knowing you are warm indoors.
    A bit like the mix of slow Jazz and rainymood.com
    edited January 2012
    Cmon, not one of you got a kite?
    edited January 2012
    Sod kites, we have...flamingos!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    It's rainy as fuck here but I love it
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2012
    They winds have died off now. We were getting 90-100mph gusts here, was a little worried about my roof as the house was built in the 1890's and still has its original on - had the money saved to get a new one last year but with a kid in the way I thought I was better off holding onto the cash just in case. It will be getting done this year before it blows away.

My shed and greenhouse are fine, have not moved at all, although the bins in the back lane went over and my back yard ended up full of a load of rubbish. Cleaned it up today.
    edited January 2012
    I'm rebuilding the shed with my Dad as it needs a renovation (it's awesome as it even has a mains power outlet and is like another house in the garden) as I intend to carry out some Post-University projects in it.
    Unfortunately, it was slightly damp when Dad put the roof on and it landed in the garden next door. Down here it's mostly trees and trains. Living by the coast it's pretty gnarly with winds, but they are quite common.