Dispelling stereotypes and myths

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited April 2012 in Life
So I got thinking - there's a lot of stereotypes and myths surrounding different Nations despite the wonderful invention we call the Internet.
This thread is dedicated to asking a question and providing an answer to one. No particular order - just use the quote reply. Nothing is too stupid, well almost nothing, as long as you think it's a legit question.

If you put your Nationality and anything else (without giving too much away about yourself) then ask/answer a question, I think we could really get somewhere.

My Questions:
  • Are those red Solo cups that popular in the United States? I'd love some in the UK.
  • How did the myth of British people having bad teeth emerge? I hear a lot of Americans saying it's one of the things they first think of when they hear "British".

Comments

• imoscardotcomimoscardotcom Acolyte
    edited January 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    So I got thinking - there's a lot of stereotypes and myths surrounding different Nations despite the wonderful invention we call the Internet.
    This thread is dedicated to asking a question and providing an answer to one. No particular order - just use the quote reply. Nothing is too stupid, well almost nothing, as long as you think it's a legit question.

If you put your Nationality and anything else (without giving too much away about yourself) then ask/answer a question, I think we could really get somewhere.

My Questions:
    • Are those red Solo cups that popular in the United States? I'd love some in the UK.
    • How did the myth of British people having bad teeth emerge? I hear a lot of Americans saying it's one of the things they first think of when they hear "British".

US here...

They're quite popular for cheap parties/underage keggers, but these days I think they're being used less and less and getting replaced with fancy bottled microbrews and mini kegs with actual glasses. They've never really been popular for anything but professional events and getting wasted cheaply though.

I think it's more specifically english people, and cockneys/working class with that stereotype, and for that small percentage of the population I think it is somewhat true. It's just one of the two stereotypes our media uses to represent england, the other being rich, posh "lords".No idea what I would ask other than if those beans in tomato sauce from the UK are actually as tasty as they are popular, they sound sort of disgusting. :confused:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2012
    I disagree oscar, if you have teenagers those Solo cups are the bomb. Without them you would be stuck washing every glass in the house twice per day. Because teenagers never use the same glass twice and never do dishes.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited February 2012
    What exactly are these Solo cups you guys are talking about?

I'm from Canada, and most of the common things I encounter from Americans.

"You're from Canada? I used to working with 'insert name here'. Do you know him". Canada is bigger than the United States... What the fuck.

"Do you guys have igloos in Toronto?". We dot even have snow right now and it's I the middle of winter.

"Have you tried caribou/moose meat?". Though I haven't tried them, you can actually get them at specialized butchers. Though the local supermarket won't have them.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited February 2012
    Im a kiwi, I DONT FUCK SHEEP!!

we are not next to old zealand either, fuck you scrubs, ur gay

canadains r cool. I work with one he is cool. i want to go to canada someday.

question, do u all wear ice hockey shirtz.?
    edited February 2012
    So do sheep fuck ewe?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2012
    What exactly are these Solo cups you guys are talking about?

These bad boys. I remember the American Students bringing them over in my first year and I almost spaffed my pants in joy:
    Red-Solo-Cup-300.jpg

As for Canada, I have relatives in Red Deer and I can't believe people think you would know this one person. Then again I get that from some people, too.

What about post-earquake New Zealand? Is it not as bad as the media make out? I have mates there who say that after the main one (over a year ago now) the sewers are still fucked and houses are being condemned left, right and centre.
  • (nameless one)(nameless one) Regular
    edited February 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    Im a kiwi, I DONT FUCK SHEEP!!

we are not next to old zealand either, fuck you scrubs, ur gay

canadains r cool. I work with one he is cool. i want to go to canada someday.

question, do u all wear ice hockey shirtz.?

LOL aren't the Welsh known for the sheep fucking?

And contrary to the believe, while a lot of Canadians love hockey, not all Canadians follow it. I personally am a basketball fan. It's just a shame that the Toronto Raptors suck.

But yes, Canadians are cool. Why do you think Americans pretend to be Canadians when they're in Europe.
    These bad boys. I remember the American Students bringing them over in my first year and I almost spaffed my pants in joy:
    Red-Solo-Cup-300.jpg

As for Canada, I have relatives in Red Deer and I can't believe people think you would know this one person. Then again I get that from some people, too.

What about post-earquake New Zealand? Is it not as bad as the media make out? I have mates there who say that after the main one (over a year ago now) the sewers are still fucked and houses are being condemned left, right and centre.

Oh those cups. We call them beer cups around here. Awesome for beer pong.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited February 2012

Yeh that city is fucked, they are tearing down entire suburbs. alot of parts still have no running water or toilets. they wait a few months then start fixing it then another quake brakes more shit, people are leaving in droves. it not as bad a turkey or that big on in italy a few years ago. There was a big one in the middle east somewhere? dont forget Haiti either, but they had alot of old and mud brick houses lol
    edited February 2012
    Yeah the infrastructure tends to dictate the death toll. Look at Japan - eathquake ridden, yet their Cities (minus Fukushima as that was a Tsunami) are practically earthquake-proof, hence less deaths.
    Put someone in a mud hut and without proper awareness training, on top of poor infrastructure, and bam. More deaths, more fuckups and more media coverage.
    edited April 2012
    Any Americans care to define a "Soccor Mom"? The Internet has definitions but a response here would probably be more accurate and lulzy.
    edited April 2012
    A soccer mom is a trophy slut wife who married above her station, drives an SUV, has never seen a dirt road, and shuttles her kids from one activity to another (such as soccer league which is popular only among those who think they are upper class but are just at the top of middle class), and looks for a real dick while her little dicked husband with a fat wallet is busy earning money to pay all the bills for the things she insists the family can simply not do without.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited April 2012
    That's the best definition of soccer mom I have ever heard lol. I have a question for our resident British folks, does it really rain constantly there? That is the one thing I have consistently heard about the UK. I will go ahead dispel some of the most common stereotypes I hear about Arkansas and the south in general, I have never in fact had a sexual encounter with a relative, I do wear shoes in public, I don't own a Confederate flag, and I am not a racist, and southern accents are rarely as pronounced as you hear on TV and movies. Although I do conform to a few stereotypes I suppose as I do own quite a few guns and I do use both ain't and y'all in regular speech, although not constantly.
    edited April 2012
    I have a question about the word y'all. I have lived i the South several times. Many is the time I will be leaving a business and I am bid, "Y'all come back". ow I have hear this when i am the only other person in the store. So my question is this. Is y'all singular or plural.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited April 2012
    It depends really, correctly used it is plural but it is not uncommon to hear it used in the singular. I hear it quite a bit in stores as well, my theory is that in that context it's just habit, I say that because when I worked retail I did the same thing, out of force of habit I said "Y'all have a nice day" whether it was one person or ten. Typically speaking though it should be plural.
    edited April 2012
    Just to say - that is an awesome definition :) think it answered every question I had, including possible infidelity and the trophy aspect. Cheers :D

Also I did wonder if the "Y'all" thing was plural. Sweet :) the more you know!