Fedora 16 is OUT!

DfgDfg Admin
edited February 2012 in Tech & Games
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/

The following are major features for Fedora 16:
  • Enhanced cloud support including Aeolus Conductor, Condor Cloud, HekaFS, OpenStack and pacemaker-cloud
  • KDE Plasma workspaces 4.7
  • GNOME 3.2
  • A number of core system improvements including GRUB 2 and the removal of HAL.
  • An updated libvirtd, trusted boot, guest inspection, virtual lock manager and a pvops based kernel for Xen all improve virtualization support.

[h=3]2.3. Hardware Overview[/h]

[h=4]2.3.1. Processor and memory requirements for x86 Architectures[/h]

The following CPU specifications are stated in terms of Intel processors. Other processors, such as those from AMD, Cyrix, and VIA that are compatible with and equivalent to the following Intel processors, may also be used with Fedora. Fedora 16 requires an Intel Pentium Pro or better processor, and is optimized for i686 and later processors.
  • Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium Pro or better
  • Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium Pro or better
  • Minimum RAM for text-mode: 640 MiB
  • Minimum RAM for graphical: 640 MiB
  • Recommended RAM for graphical: 1152 MiB

[h=4]2.3.2. Processor and memory requirements for x86_64 architectures[/h]

• Minimum RAM for text-mode: 640 MiB
  • Minimum RAM for graphical: 640 MiB
  • Recommended RAM for graphical: 1152 MiB

[h=4]2.3.3. Hard disk space requirements for all architectures[/h]

The complete packages can occupy over 9 GB of disk space. Final size is entirely determined by the installing spin and the packages selected during installation. Additional disk space is required during installation to support the installation environment. This additional disk space corresponds to the size of /Fedora/base/stage2.img (on Installation Disc 1) plus the size of the files in /var/lib/rpm on the installed system.
In practical terms, additional space requirements may range from as little as 90 MiB for a minimal installation to as much as an additional 175 MiB for a larger installation.
Additional space is also required for any user data, and at least 5% free space should be maintained for proper system operation.

Download: http://fedoraproject.org/

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    LoL. I've ner seen anyone get so excited over Fedora. Fedora has long since been everyone 6th choice.

I see they're replaced HAL which is a good idea. I guess they're using udev now.

One of the more interesting thing Fedora has done with this release (or maybe last release) is remove 'System V init' and put in systemd which is allegedly better. In a couple of releases they're going to change the entire file-system hierarchy for little reason.

They're overall a good server distro and in that regard provide the Linux community with excellent investment drive that only a commerical entity can muster.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2012
    I've never used Fedora but I know Hal sucks balls.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2012
    LoL. I've ner seen anyone get so excited over Fedora. Fedora has long since been everyone 6th choice.

I see they're replaced HAL which is a good idea. I guess they're using udev now.

One of the more interesting thing Fedora has done with this release (or maybe last release) is remove 'System V init' and put in systemd which is allegedly better. In a couple of releases they're going to change the entire file-system hierarchy for little reason.

They're overall a good server distro and in that regard provide the Linux community with excellent investment drive that only a commerical entity can muster.

What is the difference between the way calls to hardware were made with the old HAL and the new HAL?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited February 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    I've never used Fedora but I know Hal sucks balls.

I'm afraid I can't allow you to say that, bornkiller.
    256px-HAL9000.svg.png
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited February 2012
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2012
    What is the difference between the way calls to hardware were made with the old HAL and the new HAL?

It's not a backgrouond process anymore, udev is event triggered, so if you plug a USB it will run do its thing and exit. HAL was a bitch to set up right as well .Strange conf files and permission settings.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can't allow you to say that, bornkiller.
    256px-HAL9000.svg.png

I'm sorry .... :(
    What I meant to say is "As far as artificial intelligence goes HAL is most definitely artificial but lacks any form of intelligence. :D