Making a CV, any tips?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited February 2012 in Life
So everyone has this idea of a Curriculum Vitae, laying out all your qualifications and experiences over life but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with more exotic designs or a different way than just black text on a white page. I have no problem putting in my experiences and qualifications (including funky language to maybe bulk it out if need be).
Anyone been in this situation? It's easy enough, but I was thinking of giving it that extra flair. Google has been soemthing of a help with people who make ridiculously colourful and outrageous CVs, but just thought I could start a healthy discussion on ToTSEans' experiences with these little job-getters.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2012
    I have been using a an MS Word Template for about the last ten years.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Never really thought about the MSWord template. Dad swears by it. It's just that one of my assignments this year (yes, University assignments) is to write a CV. Thought I'd see if there are any funky tips out there. There were ones that were shaped in funny ways or with a subtle colour layout that caught my eye, but will start writing out the basics now. Don't even know how many GCSEs I got at school. Way too long ago to remember. Let alone College grades. I was just like "well, I passed" and remember getting straight A's in General Studies as I turned up stoned to every one and managed to blag it (General Studies = current affairs subject that you can't really revise for other than to read the news). The essay on Al Gore and Climate Change was a laugh. As were caveman art and whether or not art is a legitimate "thing" in our society.

Yeah, writing that stoned. I think I got 6 sides of A4 done. Oh those were the days.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Mate, everything you need to know under the sun is here: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/applicn.htm

It includes
    • C.V's
    • interview techniques
    • Application forms

And loads of other stuff too! :) I'd go around, collect your certificates and put them in a box so you know where they are for future reference.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    I my CV consisted on one page printed using MS Word without any templates, it didn't have much in the qualification area but it just said something that the guy hiring would be:
    A) Looking for
    B) Wanted to hear.

Team player.
    Good with computers
    Can think outside of the box.
    Can lead if required.

All pretty much true :).
    edited January 2012
    Cheers lads. I've pretty much completed it. I do have my qualifications which are lovingly kept at home in a dusty box by my over-protective Mother. I'm not sure what this CV assignment looks for (if it were a job then I know what to aim for), but under some of the headers I put "engaging with Pakistani, American and New Zealand co-workers" and the like.
    I've got a few legit things I put in it as I have work experience as well as volunteering, but I don't think "European contraband smuggler" and "being able to drunkenly navigate a moped across European borders" is a legit qualification.

Although I'm pretty damn good at it. Plus that's a damn extensive list of links there, GoingNowhere. ClickClickClick.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Cheers lads. I've pretty much completed it. I do have my qualifications which are lovingly kept at home in a dusty box by my over-protective Mother. I'm not sure what this CV assignment looks for (if it were a job then I know what to aim for), but under some of the headers I put "engaging with Pakistani, American and New Zealand co-workers" and the like.
    I've got a few legit things I put in it as I have work experience as well as volunteering, but I don't think "European contraband smuggler" and "being able to drunkenly navigate a moped across European borders" is a legit qualification.

Although I'm pretty damn good at it. Plus that's a damn extensive list of links there, GoingNowhere. ClickClickClick.

Highly versatile, team player, capable of socializing with different nationalities, extensive experience in online websphere, worked on social media projects, currently working on various Internet portals, well versed in Internet Terminology and creative content.

Can help with Internet marketing campaigns, currently workinf with soon to be launched Pakistani Magazine as an adviser and writer.

I mean bro sky is the limit.
    edited January 2012
    You will have to use IE (shudder) but here are the MS word templates.
    edited January 2012
    Oh I love you Dfg. I'm just gonna screencap that and put it in as my extra part of the resume/CV. Templates are very useful. Click and type :hai:
  • pixielandelightpixielandelight Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2012
    this is a reallly good resource for tidying up your resume: http://www.lifeclever.com/give-your-resume-a-face-lift/
    edited February 2012
    Good tip thanks for the link.
    edited February 2012
    Nice first post, welcome! And cheers for the link. Definitely checking that out.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2012
    Here's a couple of tips.
    LibreOffice - Use a presentation instead of a .doc, etc. (Sorry! I'm a dedicated Linux user) or a MS word piece of shit alternative. Make that limp dick stand out. .doc etc is so yestercentry. If you are really serious. Target the company you'd like to work for and buy the url that represent the business you're targeting. Sure you may not buy their "url" but aim for the owners name if you have to. You can go a step further and buy a google ad to represent your url. Just a drunken thought ya'll ....
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited February 2012
    My mate included a picture of a polar bear falling over next to a "warning slippery ice" sign.

He got two interviews
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited February 2012
    Spinster wrote: »
    My mate included a picture of a polar bear falling over next to a "warning slippery ice" sign.

He got two interviews
    That's the spirit! Thinking outside the box. .... :thumbsup:
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited February 2012
    I find it payes (excuse the pun) to not include anything like I am responsible, hard working etc. its unoriginal, the high school stuff. Its also to important to say what you cant bring THEIR company, its not about what they can do for you. I hate to say it but you really need to suck up, but at the same time if your too much it will put the interviewer off.

Like for instance I applied for a Job at McDonalds. before that i worked as a broom boy in a work shop. On my CV I didn't write.

Joe blogs workshop: broom boy

NO.... just no

I didnt lie, I pointed out what skills was involded in this job, outlined my responsilbilties. I explained to them why I was the guy for that job and how these skill will transfer to their business.

Like I didnt say I swept floors. this makes me a skillfull sweeper.

No.

Now remember how I said dont say your a responsible guy etc. That was incorrect, there is a way to say it slip it in there dont just state it.

I was RESPONSIBLE for employing correct safety strategy's cleaning up hazardous spills on floors. This was important because oil is slippery and people can fall and injure themselves. I had to effectively remove waste in an environmentally friendly manner.

This isnt a very good example, but It gives you an idea of the way you should write these things. You may have noticed I threw in lots of jargon too, this makes you sound smart, but its not a good idea to get to carried away or you might make your future boss feel stupid or he/she may get board of reading your CV because they don't understand what you are saying and just skim through.

also include what you enjoy doing in your spare time, If the interviewer shares a common interest, this is a good time to leave a lasting impression when Interview time comes around.

Make sure to include references. THIS IS IMPORTANT, make sure you ask permission before you leave someone's name and number on your CV. I have done it and it has bitten me in the arse big time.

remember you cant lie, but you can not tell the interviewer stuff (except criminal convictions).

Hope this info helps, Im hardly an expert and some of you may already know most of this, but I have never found it hard to find a job.

Sorry if any of the points I have covered already, i havent read the entire thread properly yet.

Oh spelling is a biggy too.
    edited February 2012
    Cheers for that Spinster :) yeah I worked in Kitchens as a Kitchen Porter for many years, and so I wouldn't put in the menial tasks I was allotted - rather what they were done for, like when you say about sweeping up. It wasn't the job that counted, but rather what I learnt through it. Patience, a respect for my work environment etc and the ability to get a boring task done to the best of my ability.
    You also just reminded me about referees/references. I left them blank but forgot about them. Have plenty to pick from, ranging from Army Staff Sergeant Chefs to Drug Barons.

Hmm, decisions, decisions ;) nah, I'll be serious as although it's a University assignment, I want to make a good effort - despite the fact it isn't graded.