Any advice would be welcome

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited March 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Last night I was driving through Leeds and I was pulled up by the police. They were doing vehicle checks. I didn't mind too much, it's one of those things that keeps idiots that drive with dangerous cars or no insurance or licence off the roads. I smiled as I handed over my documents. Driving licence, insurance, MOT. I keep them all in the glove compartment for this purpose, it saves going to the police station the next day to produce them, although it's years since I've had to do this. Apparently they have it all accesible on computer now. Next thing I know, the officer informs me he is going to issue a seizure notice on my car. I'm like WTF? Apparently my driving licence was revoked 3 years ago. So I'm guilty of driving with no driving licence and as I have no licence my insurance was void. Now according to my licence it's valid till 2030 so at this point I'm totally confused. Apparently my licence was revoked because 3 1/2 years ago I didnt surrender my licence to have some points added to it. I never recieved the request due to moving house. So as the DVLA don't know my current address they sent all the information to my old address. It's my own fault because I didnt inform the DVLA of my change of address. Just one of those things that slipped my mind, I had a lot going on at the time.

So as it stands at the moment I have no driving licence, no insurance, no car, it's going to cost me almost £200 to get my car back. I can surrender my licence and get a new one issued no problem. But.... when this goes to court, I'm facing a years driving ban, up to £1000 fine and as it's a second offence of driving without insurance, a prison sentence. The offence I failed to surrender my licence for was also driving without insuance, as this was not really my fault the court was lenient, they just gave me the points and the minimal fine. My insurance company changed their policy on renewing the anual insurance from automatic to on request. I thought I was insured and I wasn't.

So now I face a big fine I'm not sure I can afford, a prison sentence, and no way to carry on my business so I will be unemployed.

Not a good day.

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited March 2012
    Sad to hear dude, all I can say is get a good lawyer.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited March 2012
    You think it's worth spending money on a lawyer?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    If you are looking at jail time it is worth getting an attorney.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    Wish I could help. But I will try my best.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2012
    Plead guilty, pay the fine, pay it weekly. You will not get jail, trust me on this. As you need your licence for your job, you will get 8 or 9 points or a 56 day ban. Get a good soliciter.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited March 2012
    Murder suicide its the only way out/ LOL just kidding.
    Get an attorney asap, better yet hire a jew attorney get the whole thing thrown out.;)
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited March 2012
    My advice is to find a solicitoi'm not sure where you frr who has a good reputation concern driving offences.
    A quick google gave me this not sure where in Yorkshire your from (all my family are around the Bradford area-ish) anyway that just the first one I found.
    Considering it's going to court I would definitely ring a few lawyers for quotes alone then weigh prison and loss of earning versus the cost of the lawyer.
  • edited March 2012
    ^ I think you messed up your post bro, you might want to check that again! :D
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited March 2012
    Got my car back today, cost me £190 so that was less than I expected. I have an appointment with my solicitor tomorrow.
    Thanks for the advice guys. I wasnt sure about the solicitor as I thought it was a foregone conclusion, but it would seem there are options. and thanks for the reddit thing DFG. interesting posts.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    chippy wrote: »
    Last night I was driving through Leeds and I was pulled up by the police. They were doing vehicle checks. I didn't mind too much, it's one of those things that keeps idiots that drive with dangerous cars or no insurance or licence off the roads.
    They don't do it to keep idiots off the road. It's all to do with revenue.

Our cops here had a revenue quota system they needed to meet before a given amount of time. They got found out, it made the news and now it's blatantly obvious to us.

I''m glad you may possibly have options and hope you & your lawyer legally fuck the system over....Rage against the machine!! . :thumbsup:
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2012
    dr rocker, kfc and trx are all UK users so they may be able to give an insight. All I would say is a lawyer and brown nose as well as expressing that you genuinely had no idea this was the situation, with the license. No need to anger the beast that is the legal system (or make them look like dicks, which they are).
    Also Dfg's Reddit link is handy. I'm starting to get hooked on Reddit now :(
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    I'm in to reddit hard. It was that neegra Dfg that got me hooked. :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    dr rocker, kfc and trx are all UK users so they may be able to give an insight. All I would say is a lawyer and brown nose as well as expressing that you genuinely had no idea this was the situation, with the license. No need to anger the beast that is the legal system (or make them look like dicks, which they are).
    bornkiller wrote: »
    I'm in to reddit hard. It was that neegra Dfg that got me hooked. :(

I enjoy Reddit myself, I use it to whore totseans and have fun and find new things and help people.