Best C++ compiler?

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited June 2012 in Tech & Games
I was just wondering, as a past VB/VB.NET programmer for a few years, I am looking at getting into C++ as I need to keep my brain ticking over now that I have finished University and to be honest, it feels fucking weird not having any work to do.

I have chosen, alongside studying the basics of chemistry (as it was my favourite subject alongside History, but I was crap at maths back them) to also look at a programming language - settling on C++.
If somebody could enlighten me as to a good, GUI/n00b-friendly compiler that I could get started on that would be great. With VB and VB.NET it was pretty straightforward in terms of compiling suites, but it seems there are quite a few choices for C/C++

Also if you have any tips or resources, feel free to share. I've been torrenting a few ebooks and each night I spend an hour or so reading up on these subjects, so all input is greatly appreciated and will not go to waste.

Many thanks :hai:

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    I was just wondering, as a past VB/VB.NET programmer for a few years, I am looking at getting into C++ as I need to keep my brain ticking over now that I have finished University and to be honest, it feels fucking weird not having any work to do.

I have chosen, alongside studying the basics of chemistry (as it was my favourite subject alongside History, but I was crap at maths back them) to also look at a programming language - settling on C++.
    If somebody could enlighten me as to a good, GUI/n00b-friendly compiler that I could get started on that would be great. With VB and VB.NET it was pretty straightforward in terms of compiling suites, but it seems there are quite a few choices for C/C++

Also if you have any tips or resources, feel free to share. I've been torrenting a few ebooks and each night I spend an hour or so reading up on these subjects, so all input is greatly appreciated and will not go to waste.

Many thanks :hai:

code::blocks or microsoft's visual c++, the latter if you want to do gui programming especially.

I really recommend you start off with text programs before jumping into the gui stuff as it can be daunting without decent background knowledge.

nothing beats a good book for learning programming - check out the 'head first' series (EDIT: No Cpp book). also 'c++ primer plus' solely based on the merits of its C equivalent.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/hh388567
    http://www.codeblocks.org/
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply :) got a long night ahead of me and fancy some learning so will be giving it a go. Got the ebooks, so just need the compiler, so code::blocks, here we come :D
  • edited June 2012
    Does GCC work with C++?

Whenever I've been writing in C, I'll use GCC to compile my program. I haven't really used C++ before so I'm not sure if GCC will work, but it should do! Assuming you're using Linux, just try using it as it should come pre-installed :thumbsup:
    edited June 2012
    g++ is to cpp what gcc is to c. gcc has some support for cpp through extensions/bindings that run g++ in the background but if g++ is available...
    edited June 2012
    Already started on a text-based CMD survival game. This is fucking awesome. Visual Basic was alright, but this is so much more straightforward, plus the code is more "logical".
  • edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    Already started on a text-based CMD survival game. This is fucking awesome. Visual Basic was alright, but this is so much more straightforward, plus the code is more "logical".

That sounds pretty cool. Are you following a tutorial or working it out as you go along? Also don't forget that you can always post code here so that others can read through it and tell you where it's good or where it can be improved :thumbsup:
    edited June 2012
    I thought of making a community driven game, were we all either pitch story arch or contribute code..but implementing it would be a motherfucker.
    edited June 2012
    I'm just doing it myself - using parts of tutorials I learnt, such as cin and variables etc. It's quite fun. Each night I spend watching about 4 tutorials from this amazing guy, and then spending 10 minutes on my game using what I learnt, not forgetting the

//comments

And yeah Slart, that does sound a fucking good idea, but I see the problems you're pointing out. It could be a real sod getting it to work, so I'll post code in a thread and maybe do some tutorials as the things I learn via YouTube, I usually add more to.