Windows 8 Concept

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2012 in Tech & Games
windows_ui_concept_full.png

http://dribbble.com/shots/576250-Windows-UI-Concept/attachments/44311

I would love to have an OS like this. It looks so clean.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Wow. That looks... very different. I don't think I'll be trying it out to be honest, as soon as Steam becomes natively supported on Linux then I'll be switching to a decent distro instead. That said, the screenshot looks pretty cool. I appreciate that it looks absolutely nothing like previous versions of Windows but it's definitely a step in a new direction, and that's something I like to see :thumbsup:
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited July 2012
    It looks better than the tablet versions. I'm kinda looking forward to it :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    Ahem, it's concept. The real thing doesn't look like it otherwise I would be using that as a the main OS.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2012
    I think Microsoft is headed in the right direction.Today I installed the latest consumer preview of windows 8 and its much better than the first one I installed.
    So far it works as it should but I have not tried everything out yet,so far so good, steam runs flawlessly I still need to see how my new camera plays with it though.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    That's a nice looking concept, but they'll never integrate the window decoratations like that if only for the legacy apps.

These are real screenshots:
    Screenshot%20%282%29-580-75.jpg

win8aero.png

You'll notice aero has morphed, it's no longer transparent and a lot less visible, it's nicer. They changed it mainly due to battery life.

Those box things is the new default UI, there will not be an official way to switch to the desktop on boot. When you launch a non-metro app, it will automatically switch to the desktop. The start menu is gone. I don't know how this will pan out.
  • edited July 2012
    Hmm... Not sure I like the idea of booting straight into that new UI. I'd much rather have a proper desktop to work with instead of those big buttons :(
    edited July 2012
    Also Trx100, don't hold your breathe for steam. If it is released for the linux desktop (READ: Ubuntu) there will always be massive delays and fewer titles.

A lot of people "in the know" are suggesting that steam is building a linux based console. So who know?
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2012
    A Linux based console?urhmp I think that might just work.A total cross platform machine.One that can play any game on any platform,that would be cool but somehow I don't think this would happen.
  • cry0cry0 Regular
    edited July 2012
    Sounds like they are porting the steam engine to Linux, which would make the games run just fine and increase Valve's market dramatically. And assuming that they built the engine in C/C++, it really isn't THAT large of a task to reprogram to run on Linux. As for Windows 8... with all the concern over internet privacy, why would any of you run a new operating system built by a company that is known to work with the governments we so hate? Honestly, the best thing to do is run Windows 8 through VMWare on a linux box, using Fluxbox (It's ugly at first, but put a little work into it and you can make fluxbox look WAAAAAY better than Aero ever dreamed of). Honestly I've found the Windows OS runs faster this way than a dual boot. Plus you can have more control over the data that Windows is able to send/receive. And you can run Linux and Windows software side-by-side.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2012
    That concept looks like a low resource version of some kinda linux distro. Like small core or something. I bet you it would still contain windows over indulgent obesity.
  • edited July 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    That concept looks like a low resource version of some kinda linux distro. Like small core or something. I bet you it would still contain windows over indulgent obesity.

Yeah it probably would, which is a huge shame. Why can't Windows be more like Linux in terms of speed, stability and security (serious question, someone answer)? Surely they could make some changes here and there to make it a better OS.
    edited July 2012
    trx100 wrote: »
    Why can't Windows be more like Linux in terms of speed, stability and security (serious question, someone answer)?

Microsoft has too big a market share to "fix things" in one go. You'll notice that after each disastrous MS release (98, ME and vista) they've produced a pretty good OS (98SE, XP and win7) each of those bad releases introduced something that pushed a new technology, ME killed win9x, vista introduced a new kernel and UAC, 98 a new driver model.

If they change things, 3rd party software will have to be redone, often badly. What killed vista (to an extent ME as well; although that was generally badly managed) was drivers, hardware vendors didn't do a good job at making vista drivers, they had another two years with win7 and finally did it right.

In terms of security, run rm -R ~ under Linux and run del My \documents under windows. Same thing. Since Win7 (and UAC) security on windows has become pretty good - On par with Linux, what MS has essentially implemented is Unix privileges. The difference is how hard we look for Linux flaws.

In terms of stability, it's because windows is solely a Desktop OS. I can run the Linux Kernel and gnutils and call it Linux, it'll never go down because it does very little - a server is not a complicated system. KDE/GNOME isn't any more stable than the explorer shell.

If you compare win-servers and Linux servers then the margin narrows, Linux still comes out on top but with a smaller lead. I don't know why win-servers can't match linux. TBO, it might be largely the fault of the incompetent Windows Admins.

As a dedicated linux user, i really think it would do the linux community a favour if we were all a little more self critical.
    edited July 2012
    They've produced 2 reasonably good OSs (98SE, XP)
    From a dedicated linux user perspective. These 2 were ok I guess, Can't deny that.
    edited July 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    From a dedicated linux user perspective. These 2 were ok I guess, Can't deny that.

you don't like win7? why? Also my last comment came just after trying to get my wireless USB to work, so forgive me it its a little heavy handed.
  • cry0cry0 Regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm not a Win7 fan because of the resource allocation. Seriously, microsoft needs to learn how to utilize resources better. The only thing I like about 7 is the 64bit support is bad ass.
    edited July 2012
    you don't like win7? why?
    It's still based on vista. Enough said!
    Also my last comment came just after trying to get my wireless USB to work, so forgive me it its a little heavy handed.

I never saw it as a heavy handed comment and personally I tend to agree. Dedicated linux users do need to expand past tux. We don't need to commit to a MS OS but keep an open mind towards a non linux alternative. Open mind and open source. It's the linux waiz. :)
    edited July 2012
    I think MS are going to totally rethink their concept of an OS & base it purely on touch screens.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2171079/Bye-bye-Desktop-hello-Metro-Microsoft-ditches-standard-Windows-look-feel-brand-new-interface-launch-confirmed-October.html

Gone is the Start Menu. Gone is the Desktop. Instead, applications, widgets and social network updates appear in the form of a mosaic of tiles.

Everything is touch-friendly, as you swipe across screens to access more tiles and more tiles.

This is the new version of Windows, and it is almost ready for prime-time, with Microsoft preparing Windows 8 for launch in October.

Windows fans may lament their loss, but Microsoft has seen the future, and it is all about touch.

article-2168214-13FE85A2000005DC-669_634x356.jpg