Steam for Linux

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited July 2012 in Tech & Games
It's confirmed, Ubuntu is the target OS. http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/steamd-penguins/

Overall this is a win for Linux.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    I think with this addition, most Linux fan would have a lot of fun. I guess it's a welcome change.
  • edited July 2012
    Fuck yeah! I really hope they make big developments with this, I want a reason to leave Windows behind, start fresh with Linux and still be able to play games without hassle. Steam for Linux, please happen.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2012
    Steam client is up and running.
    No games for linux yet.
    Screenshotfrom2012-07-22172126.png
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2012
    angryonion wrote: »
    Steam client is up and running.
    No games for linux yet.

Lol! Thats like being given a gold card with an exceeded credit limit.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    I am still wondering what kind of games would port to Linux. I mean I don't recall seeing DirectX on linux. The most you can get is OpenGL if I am right.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    I am still wondering what kind of games would port to Linux. I mean I don't recall seeing DirectX on linux. The most you can get is OpenGL if I am right.

Ya that's the deal,directx wont work opengl is iffy we will just have to sit back and see what happens.
    I really wish I knew more about this stuff it would be fun to contribute and make things happen, but I don't know shit so whatever.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    The OSX port of steam uses OpenGL. They would have had to make a lot of framework changes that would be relevent to the linux port.

But yeah, the OSX steam client usually doesn't have release parity with the Windows one.

The thing to consider is how well graphic card drivers are made for linux, they're a bit iffy occasionally. If you check the Ubuntu forums you'll see that the HIB games (with average graphic requirements) often cause problems.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    Check out the Latest LAS for an interesting discussion about Linux Steam with someone from phoronix.

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/22031/opening-the-valve-las-s22e09/