5.1 Audio - Subwoofer Not Working With Ubuntu? Here's the Fix.

edited July 2012 in Tech & Games
So I recently installed Ubuntu on my second HDD in anticipation for Steam on Linux, but came across a problem concerning 5.1 surround where my subwoofer wouldn't work properly. If I tried to play an MP3 file, I'd get no bass whatsoever. Pausing the song and clicking on the "Analogue Surround 5.1 Output" option in my sound settings fixed the problem temporarily, but as soon as another song started playing, I'd get no bass again. After doing a bit of research, I was able to discover the following fix...

Firstly, make sure your sound settings are correctly configured. Set the mode to Analogue Surround 5.1 Output as mentioned earlier. It should look like this...
audiob.png

Next, you'll want to open a terminal and enter the following;
gksu gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Scroll down until you find the following line...
;  enable-lfe-remixing = no

... and change it to this, making sure you don't forget to uncomment the line;
enable-lfe-remixing = yes

Save the file, return to your terminal and enter the following command;
killall pulseaudio

Once the command has executed, try playing some audio. You should find that your subwoofer is working once again!

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2012
    Try um... I don't know.. Windows...
  • edited July 2012
    Trying Windows isn't the solution to fixing a problem with Linux! Fixing things is one of the rewarding parts to using a Linux system anyway. Just earlier today I managed to mess up a load of dependencies and break apt-get... But I fixed it, and now I feel like a boss ;)

Besides, this might help someone :thumbsup:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2012
    Not fixing things is one of rewarding parts of Windows... I'm just sayin'...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2012
    How to do the same in Windows:
    Install Windows Audio Driver
    Go to Audio Player.
    Play the song.

It should work.

If you have a 5.1 System and using Realtek Chip.

Boot up Windows it will automatically installed the new driver or you can download it from majorgeeks.
    Install and restart.
    Go to the Realtek Sound Panel, select 5.1, test the speakers one by one, enable speaker fill and go to Room Correction to manually play with DB levels.
    Also, avoid Bass Management. Use Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra Mark II with True Surround to have fun with 2 channels file or just select stereo when playing MP3 files.

Also, select Dolby Surround (Force enable) in VLC to get the best sound possible. FFDshow Audio mixer works as well.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    Trxx100, alsamixer is a good tool for this kind of diagnostic stuff.

Incidentally, i've also started using the latest Ubuntu. It's better and finally usuable for more then ten minutes.
  • edited July 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    How to do the same in Windows:
    Install Windows Audio Driver
    Go to Audio Player.
    Play the song.

It should work.

If you have a 5.1 System and using Realtek Chip.

Boot up Windows it will automatically installed the new driver or you can download it from majorgeeks.
    Install and restart.
    Go to the Realtek Sound Panel, select 5.1, test the speakers one by one, enable speaker fill and go to Room Correction to manually play with DB levels.
    Also, avoid Bass Management. Use Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra Mark II with True Surround to have fun with 2 channels file or just select stereo when playing MP3 files.

Also, select Dolby Surround (Force enable) in VLC to get the best sound possible. FFDshow Audio mixer works as well.

The most important part of this is probably enabling the speaker fill. I remember having problems getting my 5.1 to work properly as I had no center/subwoofer channel. After enabling speaker fill I had to restart and it all started working. Not sure if this is a problem for everyone, but it has been totally fine ever since :thumbsup:
    Trxx100, alsamixer is a good tool for this kind of diagnostic stuff.

Incidentally, i've also started using the latest Ubuntu. It's better and finally usuable for more then ten minutes.

I tried using Alsamixer to get things working but I couldn't fix the problem. It's a handy tool though, fo sho. The new Ubuntu is actually pretty nice. They've fixed Unity! It now runs on my dual-screen setup without any problems. I wish I could get the launcher bar to sit on the right hand side of my monitor though... Do you know how to do that? (Before I google it ;))
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    There's a package called "Unity tweak" or something in the repos. It doesn't do much but can do all that can be done.
  • edited July 2012
    There's a package called "Unity tweak" or something in the repos. It doesn't do much but can do all that can be done.

Does it fix my need to move the launcher bar? I'll check it out, thanks bro!