Looking for Windows 8 Pro? Here have some

DfgDfg Admin
edited November 2012 in Tech & Games
Well it looks like MS screwed up. I will keep this short mostly because my Internet is being a bully.
How do you claim your free Windows 8 Pro key? By simply visiting the Windows 8 website and requesting a free Windows 8 Media Center Pack license. You type your email address in, and a few moments later there’s a license key sitting in your inbox. This key can’t directly be used to install a fresh copy of Windows 8, but in combination with Windows 8′s Key Management Service (KMS) it will activate Windows 8 Pro permanently.

Go to this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
Enter your e-mail and wait for the key.

Then
Get a KMS server and try this:
You can also active from the command line. If you haven’t figured out where the command line is in Windows 8, follow the steps below:
Go to: Start > Programs
Right Click on the Programs Screen, and choose “Show all Programs”
Find Command Line under Windows Apps
Right Click and choose ‘Run as Administrator’
Within the cmd window, run these commands below
slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
(xxxxx is your Windows Product Key)
slmgr /skms servername:1688
(you must host an internal KMS server or find a remote one)
slmgr.vbs -ato
slmgr /ckms

via: http://www.itsupportonline.com/2012/11/05/how-to-activate-windows-8-pro/

Reason for this:
This is where the bug seems to be: With a KMS-activated copy of Windows 8 (which you can perform with any license key, valid or otherwise), Windows 8 will — for some reason — become fully, legitimately activated when you apply your free Media Center Pack key. To do this, just visit System and click “Get more features with a new edition of Windows” (pictured above), insert your key, and voilà.

The massive irony, of course, is that Microsoft originally intended to strip Media Center from Windows 8 Pro — and then, in the face of consumer backlash, decided to offer it as a free upgrade until January 31 2013. Presumably, instead of taking the time to deliver the upgrade properly, Microsoft pushed it out the door as quickly as possible — and this is the result.

via http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141052-microsoft-accidentally-gifts-pirates-with-a-free-windows-8-pro-license-key

Once I find a KMS server I will share the link, for now get the key booked.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2012
    So I can downgrade to windows 7.5 for free?
  • TasmanianDevilTasmanianDevil Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2012
    How thoughtful of them, however i think i will wait before upgrading, never fly the "A" model of anything and all that. ;)
    edited November 2012
    Windows 8 is nothing more than some new eye candy for the OEM PC manufacturers and retailers in time for xmas. Just like Me and Vista were...
  • TasmanianDevilTasmanianDevil Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2012
    Windows 8 is nothing more than some new eye candy for the OEM PC manufacturers and retailers in time for xmas. Just like Me and Vista were...

True, it does seem that every other windows release is a complete fail.
    edited November 2012
    I worked in IT for over 15 years. Not myself nor any of my peers bothered to learn support for ME or Vista and the guys I still keep in touch with tell me they are not bothering with Win8 either. Why? Because just like ME and Vista you will never see it roll out in an enterprise environment. No roll out, no money in supporting it. Plain and simple.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited November 2012
    OH god me was a friggin disaster. I did use the trial win 8 not impressed at all.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2012
    The look of windows 8 is as bland as fuck! You could cut a finger or sumtn with all it's sharp edges.
    edited November 2012
    Windows 8 is a trick. An Xmas time retail dog and pony show that MicroSloth trots out every few years whenever their most recent real OS is not "new" enough to give retailers that kick they need in the golden quarter. So they parade out a version of the most recent real OS with a bunch of emulated eye candy that gives a sneak preview of planned but not carved in stone features of the next real OS to give the retail sheeple... errr customers something to ooh and aahh about whilst sitting in their PJ's around the dead green stick in the living room.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited November 2012
    I tried out windows 8. It's pretty okay for dual screen setups. I don't really mind it at all.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2012
    Got the Media Center Key, now I need to find the KMS :D