Is Your Job Killing You?

ZedZed Semo-Regulars
edited December 2012 in Life
Work can give us a sense of purpose and direction. But can it also harm our health? Welcome to the future of work: a world where everything moves faster, the hours are longer and steady jobs are harder to find.

more--

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/04/is-your-job-killing-you/255719/

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2012
    Well, what do you expect. You have to compete with others.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited April 2012
    It's all well and good reading these, thinking "maybe I should take it easier on myself" like my Dad used to.
    Then he realised that if he did, he couldn't pay the bills or even petrol to get into the office.

However, as a Leftie I think there is a better World out there. We've just yet to find it.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited April 2012
    No my Job isn't killing me, although I do work alot of nights ( 12am finish tonight haha )

But my Job is killing others haha, If you go to my profile you will see my occupation is human enlarger ( McDonalds )

EDIT: Oops Thats on another forum, my bad.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited April 2012
    I had a job where all i did was lift things up and put them down. I got pretty ripped from it, but my back is all bent outta shape now.

Imagine this: trucks full of cigarette boxes--from 50-80 lbs each--and most of the lifting had to be done with your back because of the awkwardness of the shape. About 40,000 lbs per truck between two people. One truck an hour for nine dollars an hour. I did that for nine months.

Then as soon as I'm up for a promotion, I get drug tested...fuck that shit...sucked the life outta me.
  • edited April 2012
    na don't have one
  • GrinchGrinch Regular
    edited December 2012
    [video=youtube_share;TUDEGlV1V5I]
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2012
    I haven't thought of the Dead Kennedy's in 20 years, WOW.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I don't know, I'm still in education :) However I do know that every musician I've ever known is up to their eyeballs in work from day to day. I don't know how I feel about a life of continuous work like that but I love music and what I have done doesn't feel like work so far.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2012
    If you love what you're doing it s not work.