Possible ADD?

GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
edited January 2013 in Life
I may as well make this a topic, as I've been thinking allot lately. Just recently, I have been very late in handing an assignment in for uni and it hit me that allot of the stuff that I've been going through workwise since I was young may be due to ADD. Just recently I happened upon this website http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm and I realized that most of those symptoms matched me throughout my life. This isn't an excuse, just an observation. Thus I thought I would compile the symptoms together and this is what I got: I'll finish it later when I've had a decent sleep.

Trouble concentrating and staying focused.
This to be honest is my main one, and I fear may put me at a disadvantage at university if something is not done about it. I have allot of difficulty keeping my attention on any work whatsoever, and always have done. I can literally spend a day inside university and not get anything done. When I was in A levels, I could sit at the computer trying to revise and not get anything done either because I would get distracted by the smallest thing and time flies past. This is hence a reason why BTEC was successful, because the essays that they set me where easy and I could do them the night before without planning or much thought into them. I do however pay attention to others and not drift off as it would be very impolite not to, so that is not a symptom of mine I do not think.

I do struggle to complete tasks simple or complicated, as if what I am set doesn’t interest me it usually gets left to the last minute or something like that whereas if there is something that I am interested in I will become very absorbed in it. Hyperfocus usually sets in when I am interested in a certain topic, I will put down everything that I am currently doing no matter how important it is and focus on that topic even if it is irrelevant. Recent topic is probably been cooking.

I do overlook details very much so unless it is to do with the piano, but I don’t know the extent of that yet. I think I’ve got that more in check, as when I was younger I would have allot of incomplete work.

Hard time following directions that is true, which is why I prefer everything to be written down so I can follow it. Also, easier to remember conversations on Facebook than face to face.

 poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)- My room is cluttered but I keep all spaces used by others very neat clean and tidy. I've never organized my work much to the frustration of my teachers. My A level folder was just one massive pile of papers.
 tendency to procrastinate- Definitely this. I do everything right at the last moment.
 trouble starting and finishing projects- Definitely this
 chronic lateness- Not really, although I do need to improve. I am late quite often but only by a bit.
 frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines- Something I used to have quite a problem with but I’m getting more organized so I don’t forget as much
 constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet, phone, documents, bills)- Again, getting much better at this. All essential items are kept on the piano in my room thus I can’t lose them
 underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks- Definitely this.

Impulsivity
I do believe that when I was younger I used to have this, as I used to be hyperactive and never thought about things before I spoke. That is entirely the reverse now. I don’t believe I show any signs of impulsivity. I can be addicted to stuff for a long period of time with regards to food. I had cheese cake once a day for more than a year and a half. If there’s something that I like, I won’t get bored of it.

Hyperactivity or restleness
 feelings of inner restlessness, agitation- not sure about that one, I don’t quite know what they mean by that
 racing thoughts- Not sure what they mean
 trouble sitting still; constant fidgeting- Definitely. 100% with that one, I’m always moving about.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2013
    I supposedly had ADD all my life. I found out I just didn't know myself. Now I focus perfectly.... no drugs...
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited January 2013
     poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)- My room is cluttered but I keep all spaces used by others very neat clean and tidy. I've never organized my work much to the frustration of my teachers. My A level folder was just one massive pile of papers.
     tendency to procrastinate- Definitely this. I do everything right at the last moment.
     trouble starting and finishing projects- Definitely this
     chronic lateness- Not really, although I do need to improve. I am late quite often but only by a bit.
     frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines- Something I used to have quite a problem with but I’m getting more organized so I don’t forget as much
     constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet, phone, documents, bills)- Again, getting much better at this. All essential items are kept on the piano in my room thus I can’t lose them
     underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks- Definitely this.

I know the feeling bro. I was chronically late for work for about a year. Trying to clean up my act as my manager says i'm all out of chances and next time they will begin disciplinary action. That and when things dont go according to plan I end up going into a full blown rage and end up being extremely destructive and violent towards primarily my family and the said object or action that annoyed me. I came close to punching my own mother in the face the other day which is why I have gone to seek help for my problem before I end up being arrested for my actions or seriously harming someone who I care about. That and I no longer have any real motivation to do the things I use to enjoy.

I had blood taken yesterday to see if there is a physiological reason for my behaviour and I go to see a counsellor tomorrow so hopefully I can get my shit sorted and get on with my life.

Enough about my problems, but seriously you should go see someone about your issues. Chances are they can help sort things out.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Thanks Dak, I'm just seriously frustrated but luckily enough the anger side doesn't exist with me otherwise I probably would be. I spent a couple of days doing my piece of coursework. I went into the uni library and had written everything that I needed to do. You know how much I did? Sod all that's how much. Hours and hours of doing nothing over many days. This is the story of my life, A levels I did nothing there either. GCSE and BTEC nothing I could just blag it and get good grades.
    Now I focus perfectly.... no drugs...
    Why do you focus now TDR, whats changed? Maybe it would help me too :)
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2013
    Good sleep is one of the big keys. Not drunken or stoned sleep but good sleep.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited January 2013
    I feel ya on this one bro, I have been dealing with ADD all my life. It's like the inside of my head is the worlds wildest circus and I'm trying to play ring master. I lose shit on an hourly basis, most often my focus is shit, and tear things up in a rage on a regular basis. I have experimented with various treatments for years, the drugs for me were a fucking nightmare. You see I have these flashes of inspiration where it is like a light bulb goes off in my head and I go into a creative whirlwind, for me it is writing, I get hit with a story, essay, or some other random idea. I love these flashes and they are one of my greatest joys, to be quite honest the meds stole them from me. When I was prescribed Topamax I completely lost all creative drive and felt like a shell of myself, I just felt out of sorts in my body.

The good news however is that in the past year or so I have had a great deal of success with meditation and chi gung exercises. I have also found keeping a good sleep schedule helps a great deal, I have often wondered if my ADD is connected to my sleep apnea. I would really recommend some sort of meditative exercise, for me it has really made a difference however your mileage may vary.
    edited January 2013
    I had blood taken yesterday to see if there is a physiological reason for my behaviour

Turns out I have Hemochromatosis or high iron levels in my blood which the doctor has never seen at such levels until she met me. Turns out I will die from it without treatment which doesn't really worry me in the slightest. Everyone dies at some stage, some earlier than others. Other than that the psychologist I spoke to today is going to refer me to someone that can help me deal with my anger issues.
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited January 2013
    Jesus man, how hard is it to treat and how long till they can get you started?
    edited January 2013
    Arkansan wrote: »
    Jesus man, how hard is it to treat and how long till they can get you started?

They could have started today. It involves drawing off a large percentage of blood each week until it sorts itself (20% or more). It could take years to do at the expense of making me rather unwell. Not sure if ill go along with it yet.