A trojan that protects you?

bornkillerbornkiller AdministratorIn your girlfriends snatch
To stipulate it does more good than harm seems to be encouraging one to keep it there, but a trojan always has an ulterior motive and 33% targeted at china seems suspect compared to the piddly 5% targeted at the US,. We all know who's interested in china's information. Yeah, I got my eyes on you nsa, you been snapped.
Routers are among the most hackable devices out there — rarely updated, easily compromised, and almost never scanned for viruses. But a new router virus might actually be making the devices safer, according to a report from the security firm Symantec. Dubbed Linux.Wifatch, the bug behaves like a regular virus from the outside: infecting the device, operating undetected, and coordinating actions through a peer-to-peer network. But instead of performing DDoS attacks or looking for sensitive data, Wifatch's main role seems to be keeping other viruses out. It stays up to date on virus definitions through its peer-to-peer network, deletes any malware discovered, and cuts off other channels malware would typically use to attack the router. In short, Wifatch is actually protecting its victims.

It's still unclear where Wifatch comes from or why it was created, but it seems to be very different from the average virus. First detected by a researcher in 2014, the virus seems to make little effort to conceal itself, and leaves various benign messages in its code. One, triggered when a user tries to access the Telnet feature, reminds users to update the device's firmware. Another, dropped as a comment in the source code, repeats a statement from free-software icon Richard Stallman: "To any NSA or FBI agents reading this: please consider whether defending the US constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example."

0pP1joR.png

Symantec estimates "somewhere in the order of tens of thousands of devices" are infected with the virus, with infections largely focused on Brazil, China, and Mexico. Resetting a device is enough to remove the infection, but the firm warns that a router may become reinfected over time. "Symantec will be keeping a close eye on Linux.Wifatch and the activities of its mysterious creator," the post concludes. "Users are advised to keep their device’s software and firmware up to date."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/1/9434521/router-virus-fights-off-malware-security

Comments

• Damn. Where the fuck can I get this freeware?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2015
    You don't want it dude, trust me. If it's supposedly harmless you know there's gotta be an ulterior motive behind it and I'd say it's some sorta spyware. Since hacker team got data pwnd it was revealed government agencies were infecting peoples computers with trojans for monitoring which were also supposedly harmless. This is a more diverse way for a government to implant a virus with the same intentions because a modem is much easier to hack. Accessing a target computer or using the modem would mean TOR anonymity is worthless.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    This is actually a genius business idea. A million trust issues to consider though.
    This is actually a genius business idea. A million trust issues to consider though.
    For the NSA

• bornkiller wrote: »
    You don't want it dude, trust me. If it's supposedly harmless you know there's gotta be an ulterior motive behind it and I'd say it's some sorta spyware. Since hacker team got data pwnd it was revealed government agencies were infecting peoples computers with trojans for monitoring which were also supposedly harmless. This is a more diverse way for a government to implant a virus with the same intentions because a modem is much easier to hack. Accessing a target computer or using the modem would mean TOR anonymity is worthless.

Read about this, pretty cool. Its written in perl from what i gather and is not obfuscated, meaning that the sauce code can be reviewed by anyone with half a brain. Therefore it is known that the 'malware' has no malicious routines. Furthermore, there is no command and control server, it gets patched through a 'peer to peer' system, which means, the author just sends a patch or update out to one of the implants and it starts sharing that update automatically, the more have the update the more it gets spread. If you don't have a C&C how will you fetch the private information you stole?
    Godda link? :-(
  • I spoke too soon, it has a decentralized C&C structure but IDK it's hard to call it a C&C also, why read an article when i got the sauce code right here.

https://gitlab.com/rav7teif/linux.wifatch
    I wonder what exactly is missing? > (missing files are unintentional and/or will be added later)
  • Not sure, it's a shitload of code as it stands.
    It's written in perl (and some C).

Also the comments and Q&A are in perfect english.
    Also the comments and Q&A are in perfect english.
    Agreed, comprehensive and articulate, almost like it was written by a political speech writer.

• Also I want to revamp an old pc that got owned by a serious virus for trying to download SOA. How should I go about this? I don't have another pc that's clean to make a disc from so I can't just boot the old fucker up and *.* it without some sort of distro on a disk can I? I don't want it infecting my router even though Comcast is fairly good at that shit.

I'm assuming I need to get something on a cd before I splash it to hell.

Also does splash even work? It's been like 15 years since I learned about that and I may actually have no clue on how to wipe a pc
    What model is the puter?
    What was the previous OS
    I doubt the router would get infected
    Download "Hirens" live
    Burn it to a disc or make a bootable USB (With sumtn like "Rufus") = profit
    Just before I'm ready to splash I tend turn away from the puter, monitor and keyboard so nuttn gets wet. And the last one is, 'Yep, this method works for me' ;-)
  • It was a basic dell. Maybe five years old. Had windows seven it's actually not too bad but it's fucked hard by that virus. Have to look up hirens and Rufus. You can boot on usb? Is that what OS you recommend? I was thinking something like Linux
  • Also it was a zombie virus. Pretty sure those get into routers.

But..... I just remembered Comcast sent me a free router like a dumbass. I don't even get charged for it.
    Gen_Why wrote: »
    It was a basic dell. Maybe five years old. Had windows seven it's actually not too bad but it's fucked hard by that virus. Have to look up hirens and Rufus. You can boot on usb? Is that what OS you recommend? I was thinking something like Linux
    Since it had win7 @ least you know the chipset isn't rollin old skool!
    Hirens ain't an OS, it's more a puter toolgasm in an .iso. It's got all the shit in there to format your HD, fuck that virus hard like a hillbilly fucks his sister and shitloads of other useful stuff.
    Rufus is used to convert your .iso image to a bootable USB. (Good for putting an OS on a usb)
    The choice of LINUX is dependant on what you wanna use this puter for. If you're just starting off on linux then bogged out ubuntu, mint or cinnamon would be the best place to start. If you wanna be a haXor then you'd go for suntn like kalilinux, black box, blah,blah, blah. Or if you're after something lite then you have linux tiny, puppy and the list goes on. Slartifast can probably give you a better idea of choices because he's had more linux distros than hookers have herpes. But be WARNED, his idea of linux eyecandy is about as exciting as a blank text document. :-p

Well fuck me that took like three seconds to find. *needs hand held*
    http://www.techfleece.com/2013/07/10/how-to-boot-to-hirens-boot-cd-from-usb/
    Best to download it from hur: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

And I'll give you a walkthrough after that. Do you wanna use live USB or live disc
  • I'm going to pick up a usb after work. I don't think I have a 1 gig one at the house. I'm such a Luddite
  • I'll probably be on the irc in a couple hours off and on
  • What in the literal fuck is a USB over current detected warning?
    What in the literal fuck is a USB over current detected warning?
    Sounds like a short from the usb or usb ports.
    Did it do that prior to sticking the usb in?

Plug the flashdrive into a different port. If it was at the front, plug it into the rear port or vise versa & restart the puter.

If the message don't show up it's was probably the USB port on the computer but if it still shows up it's more than likely a USB device. You weren't weren't rolling the flashdrive in your mouth before pluggin it in by any chance??? :-(
  • Nah I got it at boot up. The message is staying there with the fronts completely disconnected and no USB's plugged in at all. I think the motherboard is toast.

All I did was hit with compressed air?

Maybe a bad PSU?
    So if you disconnect everything except the monitor and power lead the message still shows up? :-(
  • Yup. I tried all the usb's with just the keyboard and one time I got some more strange grey text. Something like "well fuck me fam your shits all fucked up hit f1 to try and reboot."

To which I did and got the same shit over and over no keyboard or nah.

It's dead Jim. Fucking kicker was I texted my wife and this:

"So apparently your computer is fucked. Did a little research and I think it's the motherboard or possibly the power supply unit.

This is something new btw it never did this before. Won't even boot just gives me a usb over current warning and shuts off "

"Was working fine last time i used it. Idk. I will get it fixed. Dont like the new computer at all"

So I'm just going to kill myself fam
    edited October 2015
    Yup. I tried all the usb's with just the keyboard and one time I got some more strange grey text. Something like "well fuck me fam your shits all fucked up hit f1 to try and reboot."

To which I did and got the same shit over and over no keyboard or nah.

It's dead Jim. Fucking kicker was I texted my wife and this:

"So apparently your computer is fucked. Did a little research and I think it's the motherboard or possibly the power supply unit.

This is something new btw it never did this before. Won't even boot just gives me a usb over current warning and shuts off "

"Was working fine last time i used it. Idk. I will get it fixed. Dont like the new computer at all"

So I'm just going to kill myself fam
    Since it's coming up with a usb error I'd be unplugging the wires from the MB for the front usb ports and trying it. If that shit don't work we'd be taking it up the back of a mates farm and shooting it.

• My three year old son fixed it. I unplugged the wires from the motherboard for the front usb and after trying that have up. While I was asleep my son pulled some more wires. I put them back and tried again. Bingo. But the cd driver is unplugged. Idk if that was the issue or not but I'm not putting it back yet I'm just running like this until I clean this shit up.

So I'm in rufus hbcd menu in mini xp. What do?
  • This fucking thing is awesome. I'm taking it to the company to see what kind of fuck around I can get up to.
    My three year old son fixed it. I unplugged the wires from the motherboard for the front usb and after trying that have up. While I was asleep my son pulled some more wires. I put them back and tried again. Bingo. But the cd driver is unplugged. Idk if that was the issue or not but I'm not putting it back yet I'm just running like this until I clean this shit up.

So I'm in rufus hbcd menu in mini xp. What do?
    Try & get rid of the infection first in case you wanna stick with that OS

Click on hirens menu / antivirus / scroll down to rkill .... this'll normally stop any processes that viruses run wait for it, wait for it, and when it's done choose an AV to use. Sumtn like malwarebytes should be meh, ok. I run super antispyware after that. Although it gives a few false positives it does seem to catch the shit MWB leaves behind.

If you wanna give linux a shot you should try different distros on a virtual machine first to see which one you're more comfortable with.

After you get rid of your cyber herpes (viruses) download "virtualbox" and itry out a few linux distros

• Yeah the thing is my wife was actually attached to that PC the whole time it's been sitting in the closet. I had no idea but now I see why. She's been using it to store tons of photos.

She also dislikes the new rig with win8. So it looks like my only option is to sanitize the PC I fucked up and get it running smooth. Problem is, the C drive is full. Recovery d keeps saying its out of space so I got a plan for her.

I can migrate the whole shebang to the new PC.

But I need to find a way to backup the contents of %userprofile% and not grab the .appdata directory

Format the disk

Reinstall the OS.

And I'm stumped at the moment. Obviously she will lose all the programs but they are shitty old ware and I think I can convince her I will replace them if they aren't around here somewhere.

But fuck me that Rufus is dope as shit.

Blew my mind. You can password protect bios?

You can encrypt your free space? What else can you encrypt?

Heads still reeling mind blown.
  • Will probably use her old rig to fart around with too once I migrate it. Haven't decided on distro but the fact you can fucking run a PC on a thumb drive is still fucking my whole world view perspective up.
    If she don't like win8 why don't you guys just downgrade it to win7?
    I know lots of people who buy a win8 computer only to find out they really wanted win7. Why? Because they've adapted to win7. Once she gets comfortable with the win8 layout I believe the pain becomes almost bearable. So I'm told!
    I didn't really know rufus did all that because all I use it for is creating bootable usb's. Lol, who woulda thought. :-D
  • Well the heren does a lot on Rufus I meant. Yeah that's the plan is to get vista on to the new rig and basically migrate her whole account.

That will have to wait as I'm still saving money for a new PSU to run the gpu I'm replacing.
    Well the heren does a lot on Rufus I meant. Yeah that's the plan is to get vista on to the new rig and basically migrate her whole account.

That will have to wait as I'm still saving money for a new PSU to run the gpu I'm replacing.
    Vista? ..... Now ubtrolln.....

• Dude. It's what she wants. Not what I want. But it is better than 8 and after I get it set up on mine I can still play steam games. Once she's happy I'm taking hers and putting some distro on it to learn. It's a toss up for me between arch, gentu and slackware. Been reading a little about them but don't know enough about computers to decide on which to learn on. I used Ubuntu on a friends and it was aight.
    Vista? ...... How can she slappp ....... How can she slappp!

Go for arch and you're jumping in the deep end unless you use sumtn like Manjaro which uses the arch platform and is reasonably noob friendly. Slackware is ok & I dunno much about gentu. I'm sure Slartifast does though.

Ubuntu, Mint or Cinnamon are good starters but I found them really resource hungry and bogged down with so much shit you'd probably never use. ...... Like windows really.
    Don't listen to BK. Arch will make you cry unless you have an engineering degree.

Check out openSuSE, Mint or Puppy.
    Don't listen to BK. Arch will make you cry unless you have an engineering degree.

Check out openSuSE, Mint or Puppy.
    "and you're jumping in the deep end" < This is usually used as a deterent in a sentence, not a thumbsup. :-D
    And yes, you're absolutely right about Archlinux. That shit made me blubber like a pregnant teenager during the setup process, but Manjaro's not that bad because all the hard shits been done. But I have to agree with your OS choices because they're the sort of linux distros you 'd wanna have as linux appatizers.

@Gen_Why
    Mght I suggest to load them on a live usb (rufus) to see what makes you feel warm & fuzzy inside. ;-)

• Yeah that's probably what I will do thanks man
  • Ok so I'm looking at doing this I think. Two hdd's in my rig. One hers and one mine. Mine will be in ext4 with mint or gentu and hers will be running her vista. Then I just boot mine from bios when I want to use mine.

Some questions though. Hers can't see mine in ext4 so that means it won't try to treat it like a backup drive right?

How do I know if my motherboard can do this? It's an asus so I think it's good.

Will this fuck up the drivers for my gpu?

What am I not seeing here?

Also I will have to backup my win8 and all my stuff on my drive on a new drive before I even attempt this.
  • Ok I'm sure yall are getting sick of me and my noob questions but please explain

Wiki:
    "An example of a computer with one operating system per storage deviceis a dual-booting computer that stores Windows on one disk drive and Linux on another disk drive. In this case a multi-booting boot loader is not strictly necessary because the user can choose to enter BIOS configuration immediately after power-up and make the desired drive first in the boot-order list. However, it is more convenient to have a multi-booting boot loader on one of the drives, set BIOS once to always start booting from (i.e., load the boot loader from) that drive, and then allow the user to choose an operating system from that boot loader's menu. No special disk partitioning is necessary when each operating system has its own dedicated disk drive."

Is that saying set up one dedicated boot drive and somehow it will have an option to run an entirely separate drive with an entirely separate os?
    edited October 2015
    I feel i have to warn you; you are headed down a dangerous path. Only proceed if you enjoy fixing broken computers. It is likely you will lose your data.

now:

with a dual boot. you have a boot manager that if loaded by the BIOS from the MBR. This boot manager lets you select the OS you wish to run. so you typically create two partitions on your hardrive (you actually create more but I'm simplifying) and install a boot loaded to the MBR.

those two partitions have windows and linux installed on them.

The absolutely easiest and probably safest way to get linux on your computer and keep windows is to install Ubuntu. The Ubuntu installer has a nice GUI that lets you resize your disk and keep windows.

eeewwww ubuntu. *shudders*
  • Think I'm going with Slackware so I can just learn everything from the ground up. Maybe.

Thanks for the heads up
    StartBartfast. I don't mind fixing broken shit i break xP

I don't mind if I kill my hdd at least. My wife will probably stab me if I destroy hers though. Kind of the reason I wanted to dual boot.
    Thought I'd better take a totse break in between work!

Hows the project coming along Gen_Why?
  • Well tonight I'm going to see if I can get my rig running off the mb since I don't have a suitable PSU for my new gpu. If that works I will see about dual booting and if I have the proper setup for that. If I do I will reformat my hdd which has win8.1 and see if I can get started installing Slackware. Once that's done I will be busy learning Python and my next project will be setting up my old car to run efi through Python on a rasberrypi. That's the full extent of my project. After that I ambitiously hope to learn other languages and learn how to stay invisible on the web.
  • Today I learned that the NSA has lost it's right to harbor any data that was mined from phone carrier customers. But does that apply to China ;))