Things You Might Not Have Known of the Kingdom Animalia Thread

edited August 2010 in Life
Animals have evolved some interesting defense mechanisms and metabolic pathways. From the claws of the platypus to the diet of a fly, add your contributions!

Here's one to start off:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_fly

About spiders' eyes:

"Jumping spiders' visual acuity exceeds by a factor of ten that of dragonflies, which have by far the best vision among insects; in fact the human eye is only about five times sharper than a jumping spider's. They achieve this by a telephoto-like series of lenses, a four-layer retina and the ability to swivel their eyes and integrate images from different stages in the scan. The downside is that the scanning and integrating processes are relatively slow.[17]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider#Sense_organs

Comments

• edited July 2010
    ~The mantis shrimp have the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom
    ~It can strike with a force of 1,500 Newtons, and the acceleration of a .22 caliber bullet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp
  • edited July 2010
    ~The mantis shrimp have the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom
    ~It can strike with a force of 1,500 Newtons, and the acceleration of a .22 caliber bullet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp

:eek: I own a .22 and know they are kinda strong. No real kick or anything, but a bullet is a bullet.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

"Most jellyfish species have a relatively fixed life span, which varies by species from hours to many months (long-lived mature jellyfish spawn every day or night [the time is also rather fixed and species-specific][12]). The medusa of Turritopsis nutricula is the only form known to have developed the ability to return to a polyp state, by a specific transformation process that requires the presence of certain cell types (tissue from both the jellyfish bell surface and the circulatory canal system). Careful laboratory experiments have revealed that all stages of the medusae, from newly released to fully mature individuals, can transform back into polyps.[3] The transforming medusa is characterized first by deterioration of the bell and tentacles, with subsequent growth of a perisarc sheet (see hydroid) and stolons, and finally feeding polyps. Polyps further multiply by growing additional stolons, branches and then polyps, to form colonial hydroids. This ability to reverse the life cycle (in response to adverse conditions) is probably unique in the animal kingdom, and allows the jellyfish to bypass death, rendering Turritopsis nutricula potentially biologically immortal."
  • edited July 2010
    :eek: I own a .22 and know they are kinda strong. No real kick or anything, but a bullet is a bullet.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

"Most jellyfish species have a relatively fixed life span, which varies by species from hours to many months (long-lived mature jellyfish spawn every day or night [the time is also rather fixed and species-specific][12]). The medusa of Turritopsis nutricula is the only form known to have developed the ability to return to a polyp state, by a specific transformation process that requires the presence of certain cell types (tissue from both the jellyfish bell surface and the circulatory canal system). Careful laboratory experiments have revealed that all stages of the medusae, from newly released to fully mature individuals, can transform back into polyps.[3] The transforming medusa is characterized first by deterioration of the bell and tentacles, with subsequent growth of a perisarc sheet (see hydroid) and stolons, and finally feeding polyps. Polyps further multiply by growing additional stolons, branches and then polyps, to form colonial hydroids. This ability to reverse the life cycle (in response to adverse conditions) is probably unique in the animal kingdom, and allows the jellyfish to bypass death, rendering Turritopsis nutricula potentially biologically immortal."

Someone told me about this the other day. God just might exist.
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Wish sharp was here, he's got crazy info on birdeaters and other spiders.

There is one spider that actually plans different steps of it's attack and is smart enough to alter the plan should the situation change.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2010
    Jolt890 wrote: »

There is one spider that actually plans different steps of it's attack and is smart enough to alter the plan should the situation change.

I think that this is what you're talking about.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portia_%28genus%29#Hunting_techniques
    Portias often hunt in ways that seem intelligent. Their favorite prey appears to be web-building spiders between 10% and 200% of the Portia’s size. Portias look rather like leaf detritus caught in a web, and this is often enough to fool web-building spiders, which have poor eyesight. When stalking web-building spiders, Portias tries to make different patterns of vibrations in the web that aggressively mimic the struggle of a trapped insect or the courtship signals of a male spider, repeating any pattern that induces the intended prey to move towards the Portia. Portia fimbriata has been observed to perform vibratory behavior for three days until the victim decided to investigate.[citation needed] They time invasions of webs to coincide with light breezes that blur the vibrations their approach causes in the target's web; and they back off if the intended victim responds belligerently. Portias that retreat may approach along an overhanging twig or rock, descend down a silk thread and kill the prey. Other jumping spiders take detours, but Portia is unusual in its readiness to use long detours that break visual contact.
    Female P. fimbriata in a web

Laboratory studies show that Portia learns very quickly how to overcome web-building spiders that neither it nor its evolutionary ancestors would have met in the wild. Portia’s accurate visual recognition of potential prey is an important part of its hunting tactics. For example in one part of the Philippines local Portia spiders attack from the rear against the very dangerous spitting spiders, which themselves hunt jumping spiders. This appears to be an instinctive behavior, as laboratory-reared Portias of this species do this the first time they encounter a spitting spider. On the other hand they will use a head-on approach against spitting spiders that are carrying eggs. However experiments that pitted Portias against convincing artificial spiders with arbitrary but consistent behavior patterns showed that Portia’s instinctive tactics are only starting points for a trial-and-error approach from which these spiders learn very quickly. However they seem to be relatively slow "thinkers", which is not surprising as they solve tactical problems by using brains vastly smaller than mammalian predators'. Against other jumping spiders, which also have excellent vision, Portias may mimic fragments of leaf litter detritus. When close to biting range, Portias use different combat tactics against different prey spiders. On the other hand they simply stalk and rush unarmed prey such as flies, and also capture prey by means of sticky webs.
  • Swamp JunkySwamp Junky Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    There's one species of spider that's mostly a herbivore. I have no clue what its called though. I'll try to find it later.

Edit: Here it is. Bagheera kiplingi
    http://pda.physorg.com/_news174568827.html
  • edited July 2010
    There's one species of spider that's mostly a herbivore. I have no clue what its called though. I'll try to find it later.

Edit: Here it is. Bagheera kiplingi
    http://pda.physorg.com/_news174568827.html

The picture of the female Bagheera kiplingi on the Acacia leaf Reminded me of the show on the Smithsonian channel, Amazing Plants

Pseudomyrmex ferruginea symbiosis with Acacia cornigera
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    People will always fight me on this one. Everyone that alreadt knows will always go STFU noob and the people that dont will say the same thing because they dont believe. Your house hold daddy long leg has ONE of the most highly toxic poison in its body. Not all daddy long leg species but most of them. The ones that have it dont have the same kinda teeth as normal and can not puncture human skin through more then the first 2-3 layers of skin which you can sometimes but not often feel a mosquito bite feeling. Also the capacity of there venom is so low that if they did find a way to get it into a person it would take quite a few to actually cause heath problems. When I say little im talking 1/8th of the tip of a pin needle. But never the less it is ONE of the most highly venomous poisons out there today. There is controversy to this and there has been for the last 5-10 years so dont quote me on everything.
  • edited July 2010
    jarkof wrote: »
    People will always fight me on this one. Everyone that alreadt knows will always go STFU noob and the people that dont will say the same thing because they dont believe. Your house hold daddy long leg has ONE of the most highly toxic poison in its body. Not all daddy long leg species but most of them. The ones that have it dont have the same kinda teeth as normal and can not puncture human skin through more then the first 2-3 layers of skin which you can sometimes but not often feel a mosquito bite feeling. Also the capacity of there venom is so low that if they did find a way to get it into a person it would take quite a few to actually cause heath problems. When I say little im talking 1/8th of the tip of a pin needle. But never the less it is ONE of the most highly venomous poisons out there today. There is controversy to this and there has been for the last 5-10 years so dont quote me on everything.

A study on the wiki page states the venom of some species might be inefficient even in the insect world.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Thats what im trying to say. Its so little it doesnt even matter. I dont know how to better explain.
  • Swamp JunkySwamp Junky Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Everything I've read said that harvestmen don't even have venom glands.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    I said people will say its not true but specific ones do. This I know.
  • edited July 2010
    Everything I've read said that harvestmen don't even have venom glands.

Harvestmen are arachnids, but not spiders. Jarkof is referring to the family of spiders Pholcidae. It seems by this link (wiki's source material) that the potency of the venom is a myth.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    There are two sides of the story between the potency. There is very few who still think it is but I am one of them. But sadly I am not well educated in the professionalism of the whole thing and thank you kindly probe for stepping in and explaining what I was trying to say.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    Jolt890 wrote: »

You're referring to the genus of Portia spiders. I saw a documentary on them once. They'll hunt spiders twice their size.

Anywho, lemurs in Madagascar actively seek out the native millipedes there which secrete a defensive toxin euphoric to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzaUA2-nHR4
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode13

Bam. Suck it. They are not poisonous. Stop spreading ignorance.
  • edited July 2010
    iSoape wrote: »
    You're referring to the genus of Portia spiders. I saw a documentary on them once. They'll hunt spiders twice their size.

Anywho, lemurs in Madagascar actively seek out the native millipedes there which secrete a defensive toxin euphoric to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzaUA2-nHR4

julien-Feeels-Goood-Man.jpg

Holy fucking shit that is awesome.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    No need to get anal about it. But if you want to look back at my quotes I stated that the amount was to small to cause any damage if any did get into a system. And I also said they have no problem biting but they cant make it through the first 3 layers of the skin. There is 7. Why dont you read the whole thread before you go ape shit next time why dont you. The ways that myth busters tries to prove things is elementary with a high budget. Dont ever use them to try and prove something scientific again dumb shit. Sorry for the pissed off remark I just hate when people try to prove my wrong and then just restate half the shit I said.
  • edited July 2010
    http://mythbustersresults.com/episode13

Bam. Suck it. They are not poisonous. Stop spreading ignorance.

Perhaps there could be a specimen with a venom comparable to the brown recluse unobserved by science. You never know ...
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    No need to get anal about it. But if you want to look back at my quotes I stated that the amount was to small to cause any damage if any did get into a system. And I also said they have no problem biting but they cant make it through the first 3 layers of the skin. There is 7. Why dont you read the whole thread before you go ape shit next time why dont you. The ways that myth busters tries to prove things is elementary with a high budget. Dont ever use them to try and prove something scientific again dumb shit. Sorry for the pissed off remark I just hate when people try to prove my wrong and then just restate half the shit I said.

Sorry, not hating but rather than iterate from my own knowledge, I thought I'd let someone else do it for me (Mythbusters).

Your skin has 3 major layers... the other layers you refer to are only 1 cell thick.

And really, long legs don't have the chemical toxins in their body to hurt people.

I go to school for this stuff. In fact... I get my associates next month, fucking finally... now off to a bachelors.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well Isoape I truly want know feud with you so here is where I throw in the towel. You win.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    It's not about winning or losing, it's about keeping people educated. Myself included.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Indeed. Im just saying usually whether I know i'm wrong despite what I think I will keep fighting it till the very end but on this one its been a back and forth fact/myth for so many years that I just gave up on it. I give up on believing in some of the more retarded scientists.
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited July 2010
    jumping spiders are known to hunt mice

• jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    Megalodon wrote: »
    jumping spiders are known to hunt mice

:facepalm: to the spider.
  • MegalodonMegalodon Regular
    edited July 2010
    they also hunt lasers

• VizierVizier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, not hating but rather than iterate from my own knowledge, I thought I'd let someone else do it for me (Mythbusters).

Your skin has 3 major layers... the other layers you refer to are only 1 cell thick.

And really, long legs don't have the chemical toxins in their body to hurt people.

I go to school for this stuff. In fact... I get my associates next month, fucking finally... now off to a bachelors.

This. Those spiders are pretty much harmless. After seeing that mythbusters episode a couple of friends and I collected a shitload of those spiders from some dilapidated house nearby and we all tried to get ourselves bitten by them. Harmless, and the bite is more of a nuisance than it is painful.

Lots of animals, like snakes and insects, get a lot of shit because people think they are poisonous or will go hunting people and bite or sting them just for the sake of it. I wish people would inform themselves a little better when it came to these kind of things. There's no need to kill, say, a random snake, just because you happen to see snakes bite people on TV.
  • edited August 2010
    Vizier wrote: »
    This. Those spiders are pretty much harmless. After seeing that mythbusters episode a couple of friends and I collected a shitload of those spiders from some dilapidated house nearby and we all tried to get ourselves bitten by them. Harmless, and the bite is more of a nuisance than it is painful.

Lots of animals, like snakes and insects, get a lot of shit because people think they are poisonous or will go hunting people and bite or sting them just for the sake of it. I wish people would inform themselves a little better when it came to these kind of things. There's no need to kill, say, a random snake, just because you happen to see snakes bite people on TV.

LOL. I'll keep that mind mind the next time I walk into one of their webs. And people need to inform themselves about everything they encounter. It would make their worlds a better place. Hey, would you add an 'n' to "Known" and the word "The" at the beginning of the thread title?
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited August 2010
    LOL. I'll keep that mind mind the next time I walk into one of their webs. And people need to inform themselves about everything they encounter. It would make their worlds a better place. Hey, would you add an 'n' to "Known" and the word "The" at the beginning of the thread title?

Agreed. People need to know things before they prejudice everything they seem to come across.

Also, thread title fixed :thumbsup: