This whole twitter SEO bullshit

muffinsmuffins Regular
edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Seriously twitter? Why would we want mainstream conformist or clueless types to even come here? Totse became well known without these social networking things. You guys wanna know what got people to come to TOTSE ? The textfiles, thats right the content of the textfiles. MAny people came to learn bad shit not keep up with current events or celeb gossip or any of that crap.

I knew what TOTSE was for a long time and guess what i never joined the forums or even thought about it. I simply came here to read and learn. When Jeff shut things down I then went to Zoklet since they had the files, then I later joined the forums.

Dont get me wrong I like forums and all, but do we really want the kind of people that using Twitter is gonna bring? Say Joe Blow see a tweet about say fixing a water soaked ipod. He then follows the link here and sees the Marketing forum and says oh this is just spam to get me here.

Also I think it kinda sucks that stuff got disabled so this whole tweetfest thing could work without getting the account suspended from the host side. This server is full of fail right now, and to be honest I dont think theres gonna be a way for the site admin to get up the money for a virtual private server every month. Fuck man the site needed a pledge drive to even afford a vbulliten license. ( yes i donated)

I am now gonna put on my flame proof suit and await replies.

inb4 I am demodded

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    From what I understand, this twitter stuff is mainly to help get our google rank to #1.
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    From what I understand, this twitter stuff is mainly to help get our google rank to #1.

But why? I'm serious
    edited August 2010
    Cause the top result is zoklet.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    muffins wrote: »
    Seriously twitter? Why would we want mainstream conformist or clueless types to even come here? Totse became well known without these social networking things. You guys wanna know what got people to come to TOTSE ? The textfiles, thats right the content of the textfiles. MAny people came to learn bad shit not keep up with current events or celeb gossip or any of that crap.

From the very start it was an idea, not something anyone had to do, nor even pay attention to. It's about getting some SEO for the site and nothing more. Now I don't like the idea of Social Networking my damn self, but that's not an excuse to abandon the idea and use it for what it is, a tool. You have to remember Totse built up its user base over the course of 20 years, like the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built overnight." It has absolutely nothing to do with incorporating it into the site other than the extra button to "tweet" a good thread in the future or not, just like the Digg and other buttons were around long before. This is SEO marketing and nothing more. Times also are far different than before and the user base is pratically depleted from its former self. Something has to move forward to usher us in to new direction and keep us modern. People just don't give a damn about forums like they used to. The passion is gone.

I knew what TOTSE was for a long time and guess what i never joined the forums or even thought about it. I simply came here to read and learn. When Jeff shut things down I then went to Zoklet since they had the files, then I later joined the forums.

Dont get me wrong I like forums and all, but do we really want the kind of people that using Twitter is gonna bring? Say Joe Blow see a tweet about say fixing a water soaked ipod. He then follows the link here and sees the Marketing forum and says oh this is just spam to get me here.

Think of social networking as a new method of search, a Google v2.0 if you will. It isn't going away any time soon I'm sad to say. But as I mentioned above, it would be completely irresponsible and ignorant for us to ignore the new methods of communication and somehow praying for things to magically return to how they were. We have to lure them back once more. I understand you may feel disillusioned to some level, but I really think some you are overlooking things; ILTST9 and reject for example. I think everyone is too stuck in this limbo of old Totse and Zoklet and now unsure what to make of this place. Everyone has a voice here and EVERYTHING is subject to change. You have to realize so many things are being done right now that even a month ago weren't on the table. The hosting issue is just one minor nuisance that is slowing down the progress.

Also I think it kinda sucks that stuff got disabled so this whole tweetfest thing could work without getting the account suspended from the host side. This server is full of fail right now, and to be honest I dont think theres gonna be a way for the site admin to get up the money for a virtual private server every month. Fuck man the site needed a pledge drive to even afford a vbulliten license. ( yes i donated)

I am now gonna put on my flame proof suit and await replies.

inb4 I am demodded

The Tweets or Twitter campaign has absolutely nothing to do with features being disabled. If it's one thing that is being taken with great pride its the openness that is shared with the community as far as "What's going on" in real-time. Bottom line, you pay for what you get. The old host didn't give us crap when we used up resources, but the site slowed to a crawl. On this host it's snappy, but we lose in the fact they now halt your account if you go over a resource cap which for some reason they can't implement on their end. This is why "Web Hosting" services are garbage and on a serious website only VPS, Semi-Dedicated, and Dedicated Hosting is absolute, moving up only as required since nobody wants to pay more for what they don't need.

Things are "Temporarily" disabled as Dfg posted in IRC and on the top forums, to cut back on system resources so the site can still function without "suspended" messages until we can switch hosts. It was also affecting progress on the actual site which from my understanding Dfg wants up quick like bunny.

The VBulletin thing I agree was handled wrong. Shouldn't have given that out to the public when I could have provided a nullfied version and nobody would have noticed. VBulletin can only shut down your forum if:

A) You are hosted in the U.S.

B) Your hosting provider caves in to their demands.

If you are on a dedicated host regardless they couldn't touch you, but we are not in the U.S. so we should have been fine. It was a precautionary action and shouldn't have been in the public the way it was. It made us look shady, others tried to capitalize and take us down (Totse2), and generally gave a wrong impression.

FYI VPS Hosting isn't that expensive and I live by the golden age rule of the Internet back in the 90's and early 2000's. Don't start a website you don't love that you couldn't fun yourself. The minute money becomes an issue either pass it on or find a way to raise it if the community thinks it's worthy enough to save.

This isn't Zoklet or anywhere else, you are free to bitch and moan like the rest, staff or not. Only you can demod yourself, your opinions have nothing to do with that. Stay strong and have faith. I'll be the first one to let Dfg know if the direction we're taking is going too extreme. Right now the ends justify the means and eventually I think you'll all come to realize there is a plan.
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Cause the top result is zoklet.

what are you googling? If i google Totse shit man totse2 comes up on the first page. If you google totse.info the first result is this just in then a link to the bbs and a few spots down is the zoklet thread about the site being suspnded then under that is a thread from totse2 about the site being suspended.

toseinfo.jpg
    edited August 2010
    16094394.png

But please, refer to LSA's post for a much more comprehensive argument.
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited August 2010
    I trust LSA King and get what hes saying and i do see that Zoklet is featured as the host of the totse textfiles. I then ask this how is totse.info gonna get the recognition as being the host of the totse textfiles if a search engine spiders them and they have the same content.

I frequent blackhatworld alot and am pretty familiar with SEO schemes and to be really honest its mostly spam tactics. http://www.autotweetbot.com/ shit just pirate that and dont worry about getting users from the site to tweet.

I just find some of the things going on right now kind of retarded into as we dont even have a decent server and are trying to ramp up traffic. I think i'm abit clueless and maybe others are too so clue us in.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    Had similar thoughts when I saw this. My initial reaction was similar to yours (what I consider knee-jerk in relation to my regular outlook) but after considering it I think with a few minor improvements it could work much more in our favour.

For example, instead of spamming twitter with more or less every non-brandon thread (honestly, some top quality troll thread would probably be just as awesome) it could be limited to things that are relevant to the core totse interests and various tangents on that theme. I'm inclined to agree with you about some of the inane threads in the marketing (spam) forum. Had a bit of a browse, and sure, it'll draw people to the site for five odd minutes, but what's going to make a person looking for Clinton's wedding photos stay for B&E tips?
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited August 2010
    wood wrote: »
    Had similar thoughts when I saw this. My initial reaction was similar to yours (what I consider knee-jerk in relation to my regular outlook) but after considering it I think with a few minor improvements it could work much more in our favour.

For example, instead of spamming twitter with more or less every non-brandon thread (honestly, some top quality troll thread would probably be just as awesome) it could be limited to things that are relevant to the core totse interests and various tangents on that theme. I'm inclined to agree with you about some of the inane threads in the marketing (spam) forum. Had a bit of a browse, and sure, it'll draw people to the site for five odd minutes, but what's going to make a person looking for Clinton's wedding photos stay for B&E tips?

exactly why waste our server resources for something that just attracts guest?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    OP, I understand your concerns and trust me I did this because we needed it badly. I will keep this short.

24 hours ago, we added the site map for this site and then we submitted the links to various search engine. Now, according to them it will take days to crawl our site. Since we don't have a main page it's a bitch to get any decent SEO options and since Google Spiders start with main page it will take quite some time for them to reach the forums.

We're entering in a world where competition is tough, if I had a CMS system up and running I wouldn't be using Twitter at this point but the fact is Twiiter honestly rules when it comes to awareness. You can paint walls, kill children but if you just tape a fake video and tweet it, it will spread like a wild fire.

I am using twitter because it has crawlers,spiders. The minute you tweet a link, 10+ spiders from different sites crawl you content. I twitted the first thread and in few seconds Google spiders came and started reading threads then yahoo and then private bots. I was checking the users real time.
    And then some new users started visiting links.

It's better than Digg and it provides instant results. All you have to do is, play the game. I already indexed Totse.info major threads. If you go into Marketing Forum you can see thread views. All of them are from twitter.

I had two options in the end, sit back and wait for things to fall in place or wear my body armour and spread Totse name. The more we use Totse and mention Totse and overall send our threads on Twitter, the higher rank we will get.

It will also give us better Ads thanks to Adsense and we can have regular visitors. After that you start FYW operations and other covert ops to captures users. In this game of Internet, you have to be creative and use whatever tools you need to.

Don't worry about association with different services and hating twitter is understandable but if you know how to use it, YOU CAN TROLL OBAMA!

So, take one for the community and sign up and POST UNIQUE, AWESOME and formatted threads. The threads I tweeted in the start were for testing purposes and they test were sucessful. You just post and contribute unique threads and we will get targetted users soon. Remember this is just a single step, we will do tons of other stuff to raise the TOTSE flag again.

Btw Google is using a new search system and they crawl twitter and other social website for links.
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited August 2010
    Indeed we need a lot of member to form a community
    SEO is one of that way to increase our traffic by getting in a first page on google search.

But the question is is it content first or member first?
    This is just like chicken or egg question one create another. Good content attract good user and good user create good content.

I agree with wood, I think trying to get new members through twitter is a good idea but overusing it will not make user stay nor sign up here. If it's only for a temporary measures (Until we get the first page on yahoo and google search or etc) then why not. I say we shouldn't really rush thing. Do things slowly (not that slowly) but steady and people will come eventually.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited August 2010
    The age has changed. Do you know how rare it is for people like us to come along anymore?

War has changed, there's airplanes, nukes, and submarines now. We can't keep trying to fight with infantrymen only. Adapt or die.

But...then again...imitation is suicide.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, we have to get new members before we can weed out the idiots. The old methods no longer work for generating a userbase, we have to try newer methods. Sure, there's a lot of idiots on things like twitter, but there's also a lot of good people, it's just harder to find them.

Besides, I'd rather it be a forum full of idiotic kids then be a ghost town. You can at least teach the idiots something and pass on knowledge to them.

Besides, once we get members, the idiots will feel out of place and rejected and leave on their own.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited August 2010
    Twitter really is the shit for getting traffic.
  • woodwood Regular
    edited August 2010
    13579 wrote: »
    The age has changed. Do you know how rare it is for people like us to come along anymore?

War has changed, there's airplanes, nukes, and submarines now. We can't keep trying to fight with infantrymen only. Adapt or die.

But...then again...imitation is suicide.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, we have to get new members before we can weed out the idiots. The old methods no longer work for generating a userbase, we have to try newer methods. Sure, there's a lot of idiots on things like twitter, but there's also a lot of good people, it's just harder to find them.

Besides, I'd rather it be a forum full of idiotic kids then be a ghost town. You can at least teach the idiots something and pass on knowledge to them.

Besides, once we get members, the idiots will feel out of place and rejected and leave on their own.
    Or they'll start up rebel enclaves hidden deep within HB...
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited August 2010
    I had the oppurtunity to discuss things with some site admins and we are on the right track. We are just gonna have to weed out undesirable users if they show up
  • MarijuanasaurusMarijuanasaurus Regular
    edited August 2010
    muffins wrote: »
    I had the oppurtunity to discuss things with some site admins and we are on the right track. We are just gonna have to weed out undesirable users if they show up

Believe it or not, this is actually the fun part.
    Fuck off Acolyte

Copy and paste that to a notepad and use it every time you see a new user.