wild raspberries :thumbsup:

Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
edited August 2010 in Life
So, with the persistent heat we've had here in the northeast, the wild raspberry plants have fruited a tad bit early. Got lucky and managed to get a decent haul before the animals took everything. There are still a ton of unripe ones, hopefully they'll be good to go within a day or 2.

They taste awesome, a little more bitter than regular raspberries. The dark, overripe ones melt in your mouth, it's awesome:D

think I'll make a wild raspberry smoothie later.

pics:
FtEiu.jpg

Oyv0q.jpg
(there are a lot more in there than it looks)

nom nom nom

Comments

• SliceSlice Regular
    edited July 2010
    omfg, I haven't had wild raspberries in FOREVER!

I can't seem to find them around here, but fuck they're delicious. I want to make jam with them sometime, maybe try to make a pie.
  • mr.bluntmr.blunt Regular
    edited July 2010
    Wild raspberries are EVERYWHERE around my cottage, and here at home they're pretty prevalent still.

Bomb as fuck. Love them. You can make good tea with the leaves too.

There's this one old logging road near my cottage that's just lined with raspberry bushes, you can walk up one side for 15 minutes, back down the other side, and have more berries than you'd know what to do with.
  • StaplesStaples Regular
    edited July 2010
    Quill would DEFINITELY have something to say about this..

<.<
    >.>
    <.<
  • edited July 2010
    You makin' mah mouth water, brah. All the Rubus I find are blackerries.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    I can only find wild blackberries where I live as well. But we grow a bunch of raspberry plants in a garden. They're my favorite fruit by far. We get more than we know what to do and I just gorge.
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited July 2010
    4TiMf.jpg

Today's haul - only about an eighth (max!) of what I estimate is there! plus I think there's a blueberry bush further past the brambles.

yikes.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    Damn, that's a good find! The only time I've seen wild raspberry bushes there are only like 10 tiny berries, half under-ripe and the other half over-ripe.

Besides the smoothie what else are you using them for?
  • Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited July 2010
    I wish I could make jam, but even if I managed to clear that whole forest worth I don't know if I'd have enough.

i dunno, maybe incorporate them into some baked goods?
  • edited July 2010
    Habaner0 wrote: »
    4TiMf.jpg

Today's haul - only about an eighth (max!) of what I estimate is there! plus I think there's a blueberry bush further past the brambles.

yikes.

Hell, I found what I believe to be a 30 year old Farkleberry in mah yard not too long ago.
  • edited July 2010
    Habaner0 wrote: »
    I wish I could make jam, but even if I managed to clear that whole forest worth I don't know if I'd have enough.

i dunno, maybe incorporate them into some baked goods?

Do note they can and do reproduce through suckers. Wait 'till spring and dig on of the new young shoots coming out of the ground or wait 'till winter and jack a dormant older one.
  • edited July 2010
    Holy shit, thats awesome! Amazing haul there. I Wonder if these grow anywhere near me...
  • edited July 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Holy shit, thats awesome! Amazing haul there. I Wonder if these grow anywhere near me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubus
  • edited July 2010
    Dozens of wild-raspberry plants can be found around here on roads, in woods and in peoples yards in between the tall weeds.

If I drove up to Harriman State Park, I bet I'd find thousands of berries.
  • v0xv0x Regular
    edited August 2010
    I have 12 wild raspberry plants in my backyard :D
  • edited August 2010
    v0x wrote: »
    I have 12 wild raspberry plants in my backyard :D

I'll trade you a blackberry sucker for a raspberry sucker :D :thumbsup: