logically reading minds

StaplesStaples Regular
edited August 2010 in Life
One of the things i seem to have an unusual talent for is playing out others thoughts in my head, and following their train of thought.

I can't do this with a crazy homeless person or you, but people that I know at least a little bit.. like, there have been times where I intentionally did this and the other person got really pissed. It has also happened to me on the order of two or three times, and it usually involves drunk people

just wondering if anyone else has any idea what I am talking about

*cue the schizoid breakdown*

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    It's psychology in a nutshell. Following human behavior, observing, and making assumptions based off calculated reactions with a constant debate inside the noggin as to the probability of one route the individual is most likely to follow vs the other. I know what you're talking about because I can and do, do it on a regular basis although I'm not very good with drunk people. It's a really complicated mess to explain the details. Basically, I like to listen, watch, and observe individuals to build up enough of a mental history through their 5 senses until they become my own and you play out your emotions to follow theirs to establish a remote connection toward their conscious. For instance, someone flips their shit and you don't know why. You have to establish a connection into their psyche somehow to reproduce the same reaction as you'd see it and until that reaction becomes your own. Then you just build off of that.

I love psychology, not a fan of the school courses, because the power it holds is infinite when you can mentally control others through subliminal channels. I've actually had people start fights in my name by using similar methods to make my anger their own.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, are you talking about cold reading? It's basically what psychics do to appear psychic. It comes quite naturally to some people, but others train for years to make a living out of it e.g Derren Brown.
    Cold reading is a series of techniques used by mentalists, illusionists, fortune tellers, psychics, mediums and other con artists to determine or express details about another person, often in order to convince them that the reader knows much more about a subject than they actually do.[1] Without prior knowledge of a person, a practiced cold reader can still quickly obtain a great deal of information about the subject by analyzing the person's body language, age, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, race or ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc. Cold readers commonly employ high probability guesses about the subject, quickly picking up on signals from their subjects as to whether their guesses are in the right direction or not, and then emphasizing and reinforcing any chance connections the subjects acknowledge while quickly moving on from missed guesses.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm also able to do this and use it to my advantage. I don't try to or anything, it just comes naturally. What I do is that while I follow (estimate might be more accurate) people's thoughts, I say certain things that may turn the train in another direction. A lot of the time I'm able to get people to say what I want them to say. I do it in many situations, ranging from finishing arguments to setting up for a joke to making others feel like they're making the decision.

It's not foolproof or 100% guaranteed to work, so the important thing is to improvise and work around any problems.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    Oh, are you talking about cold reading? It's basically what psychics do to appear psychic. It comes quite naturally to some people, but others train for years to make a living out of it e.g Derren Brown.

No you dumbass. :thumbsdown:

Staples - this is really cool. I might observ eothers mother closely and try it out.
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I know what you mean OP. I'm a Psychologist in training so I sort of have to learn how to read people well. You must put yourself in that person's situation and state of mind to try and get a grip of what they're thinking. Reading body language, micro-facial expression etc.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    You have to be like, a lizard person or something.
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »

Staples - this is really cool. I might observ eothers mother closely and try it out.

Are you denying that my basic definition of cold reading is incorrect, or that what the OP is experiencing is not cold reading? Please enlighten us all.

And why would you want to observe other people's mothers? Why not just observe them?
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited August 2010
    Daily wrote: »
    Are you denying that my basic definition of cold reading is incorrect, or that what the OP is experiencing is not cold reading? Please enlighten us all.

And why would you want to observe other people's mothers? Why not just observe them?

lol wtf. Did you edit my post to say that. I never typed anything about observing mothers. :confused:
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited August 2010
    There is a lot to learn!

I recommend these books:

The Definitive Book of Body Language - Allan Pease
    Louder Than Words - Joe Navarro
    You Say More Than You Think - Janine Driver

I also recommend grasping some basic concepts of Graphology, Deception/Statement Analysis, Micro-expressions and Neuro-linguistic programming.

It's also helpful to watch beastiality, scat, and a few rape/snuff films which can easily be found on the internet. CP is also a good place to start. What I usually do is invite a couple of relatives over to show them my collection of movies and force them all to eat raw and uncooked aubergines topped off with shredded cow tongue which is usually spiked with Yohimbine. Everybody has a great time and a new found respect is discovered among us.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010

Nice, I just got baked and now have something to do.

May as well throw it out there, but a good book to read is "Viruses of the mind", explains the evolution of memetics and study how how memes become mind viruses implanting and affecting people.
    Just me mentioning the book shows how the book itself is a sort of virus.
  • StaplesStaples Regular
    edited August 2010
    Blunderful wrote: »

Blunderful - keep in mind I am one of those people who understands human sociology pretty well.. but has terribly inept social skills himself.. so i would recommend not aspiring to that

oh and cool posts

nice links mj
  • edited August 2010
    It's not reading minds.

If you know a person really well, it's possible to predict (based on the situation or on what they said earlier) what they're going to say sometimes.
  • edited August 2010
    You have put into words what I thought was my own, LSA king. Figures, after all, LSA IS in your name. ;)