AV Cables vs. HDMI Cables

DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
Ok. I'm not that TV tech-savvy but I've noticed I got really shitty TV quality. I only get HD when I switch to HD-specified channels but besides that, everything looks pretty choppy, decent, but choppy.

So I got an Insignia 32" plasma hooked a SA explorer 4250HDC cable box.

I use these cables:
YPbPrCable-6F.jpg

Couple of my friends tell me I'll get better quality using some hdmi cable thing. I don't know how it looks like or anything.

Would it really provide a better A&V output than the standard TV AV cables?

How do they look like?

Thanks!

Comments

• LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited July 2010
    If the channels themselves are choppy that could be your cable provider having issues and you may want to call them and let them know. They can run a remote quality assurance check from across the country and debug most of your errors. Worse still they can resend your cable signal to iron out any laggyness going on. Also flashing the cable modem once in a while isn't a bad thing. It's basically like a little computer like all electronics that needs flushed every now and then.

The audio cables really don't matter but the video is another story. I used component for years (was the best you could get for TV's before HDMI) and even switching from Component to HDMI I didn't notice any quality difference. I think it's very minor if there is one. HDMI is really an overrated spec and hasn't been put into it's full usefulness. HDMI is nice because it carries both Audio and Video in one connection like DVI IIRC and has a shit ton of bandwidth to carry any information that can be pushed through it. That might be part of the lag you're getting, not sure why you'd get it on SD channels and not HD though.

These are some HDMI cables

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2100310697%201015055361&name=HDMI%20Cables&cm_sp=homeaudiocable-_-flashstorefront-_-hdmicables

Don't buy some expensive ones, by the cheapest ones you can find. This is one case in home theater that spending more doesn't equal better. I made that mistake getting suckered by Best Buy into buying $79.99 Monster HDMI cables (6') and now I stick with the $29.99 stuff which you can get even cheaper online.

HDMI is basically an oversized USB looking port. If you have a Flat Screen, LCD, Plasma, LED, etc. TV you probably already have it or a half dozen depending on the model.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited July 2010
    !!!

I've been experiencing lag with HBO and showtime, especially in HD. I don't get audio on some HD channels. I'm gonna phone up my provider right now.

Thanks for the advice.
    edited July 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    !!!

I've been experiencing lag with HBO and showtime, especially in HD. I don't get audio on some HD channels. I'm gonna phone up my provider right now.

Thanks for the advice.

Let us know what they say. That shouldn't happen with or without HDMI cables. Don't feel bad. I've called up Comcast a half dozen times in the last 6 months just about once per month to get them to resend the AV signal again because half of my channels are jacked up. They still wont send someone down to fix it and it still hasn't worked without the lag/audio going out on half of the channels. Good thing I don't watch any of those channels but still it's fucking bullshit. After the second time they should have sent someone to come look at it, I just got tired and quit, but it sounds like your problem.
    edited July 2010
    I called them a couple of hours ago and they told me they were going to reset the signal.

They resetted my cable box and instructed me to press the power button on. Everything looks a ton better without that lag. HD channels got audio now but one particular channel is getting shit quality and they offered to send someone but I neglected.

TWC had a pretty decent customer support. I was on wait for about 2 minutes only.

Oh yeah. I asked about the AV cables compared to the HDTV hdmi cables and they said that regardless of that, the video stream should be flawless.
    edited July 2010
    Good shit, sounds about right. At least you are only dealing with one channel fuckered up lol. I'm at about 40 :facepalm:
    edited July 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    Good shit, sounds about right. At least you are only dealing with one channel fuckered up lol. I'm at about 40 :facepalm:

Holy fuck.

Can't you switch providers? The difference in package prices shouldn't be much.
    edited July 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Holy fuck.

Can't you switch providers? The difference in package prices shouldn't be much.

Nope. Comcast owns my half of the city for Cable and Internet. The only option for something different is on the west side of the city and you get the option of Qwest which is even worse, especially with Internet.
  • edited August 2010
    With things like PlayStation 3's, HDMI cables make quite a noticeable difference. I used a component cable (the one you have pictured) for around a year, I recently switched to HDMI and I am really impressed at the quality I now have. It probably won't make a difference with regular TV viewing though. Listen to LSA, he knows things. Lots of things.