Did some blood donation today

edited August 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I donated blood for the first time today, figured it would be a good idea and so I went down there with my girlfriend. It wasn't too bad, hurt like a bitch when the needle went in though. Overall, I'm quite happy with how it all went and would probably do it again in 4 months time (when you're next allowed to donate).

Anyone else bothered doing this? Its pretty cool to hear that I'll be helping up to 3 people in the next few weeks with the blood I gave :D

Comments

• HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited August 2010
    Know what I like to do instead?

Not give blood. If they want my blood they can stop expecting it for free. :mad:
  • NamasteNamaste Regular
    edited August 2010
    I plan to try and give blood sometime soon. Idk. I feel like at least my pathetic life will mean at least a little something. XD Not to mention, I've never had issues with needles or anything, so why not? I mean, a lot of people can't because they DO have that fear, but I've pretty much always been okay with needles, so why not? If that makes any sense...
  • edited August 2010
    They seemed pretty relaxed about it, they don't necessarily expect you to donate and its obviously up to you if you actually go ahead with the donation or not.

I see where you're coming from though. They'll probably spam me with mail telling me to donate again, lolz.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Ehh, I've always been against blood donation except when I was in the military for obvious reasons. I don't like the fact the Red Cross takes your blood and resells it for profit and all you get is that "feel good" moment afterwards. Feels like rape. Not to mention it takes a couple of months before that blood fully replenishes again which is why they don't allow you to donate but every 3-4 months. I can't wait for science to speed shit up in our bodies. They are amazing from a technical standpoint, but they are slow as shit.
  • edited August 2010
    Actually, it only takes a few hours for your blood to regenerate. Its your Iron levels which take a few months. I don't care though, I'll just eat lots of Corn Flakes.
  • PsyntheticPsynthetic Regular
    edited August 2010
    I donated for the first time several years ago for free backstage passes to warped tour and a free burrito from Chipotle. That was sweet. I've donated many times since just for the hell of it. You get like a $5 McDonald's gift card or a coupon for a free pint of ice cream each time. Usually some bitch calls and wakes me up really early in the morning and asks me to schedule an appointment, so I go in a few hours later n do it up. It doesn't really hurt at all, it's just a weird uncomfortable feeling.
  • HTS-NoobHTS-Noob Regular
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    They seemed pretty relaxed about it, they don't necessarily expect you to donate and its obviously up to you if you actually go ahead with the donation or not.

I see where you're coming from though. They'll probably spam me with mail telling me to donate again, lolz.

In Canada at least, there are/were commercials. Their slogan was "Blood - Its in you to give". Canada is... silly. First, 'blood - its in you to live'. Commercials went something like 'family in a car crash, they receive donor blood, *slogan*'. Seemed preachy as fuck when I was a kid.

Not that I have anything against donors. Donate away. More blood in case I need it. Also other people.
  • edited August 2010
    HTS-Noob wrote: »
    In Canada at least, there are/were commercials. Their slogan was "Blood - Its in you to give". Canada is... silly. First, 'blood - its in you to live'. Commercials went something like 'family in a car crash, they receive donor blood, *slogan*'. Seemed preachy as fuck when I was a kid.

Not that I have anything against donors. Donate away. More blood in case I need it. Also other people.

Yeah, they tend to preach a little because apparently out of the total number of people who are actually able to give blood, only 4% percent of people actually do. Basically, they're just really butthurt about no one giving a shit, and the chances are that if more people did it, they wouldn't be so preachy.

Also, that Canada slogan made me laugh :D
    edited August 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Actually, it only takes a few hours for your blood to regenerate. Its your Iron levels which take a few months. I don't care though, I'll just eat lots of Corn Flakes.

Donated plasma is replaced after 2-3 days.[54] Red blood cells are replaced by bone marrow into the circulatory system at a slower rate, on average 36 days in healthy adult males. In that study, the range was 20 to 59 days for recovery.[55] These replacement rates are the basis of how frequently a donor can give blood.

I'm too lazy to use a non-wikipedia source but I remember there is more to it. Not sure about the iron part sense that would be the first time I've heard that used in reference lol.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited August 2010
    ^

You get COOKIES?

What the fuck. They didn't give me shit last year besides some pamphlet saying I was a 'certified' donor. LOL.
    edited August 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    You get COOKIES?

Seriously, WTF?! I'd donate just for that alone. Your blood is probably helping people "feel" better ;). Most likely they need the THC boost anyways. I thought they only test for HIV/Aids.
  • edited August 2010
    LSA King wrote: »
    Seriously, WTF?! I'd donate just for that alone. Your blood is probably helping people "feel" better ;). Most likely they need the THC boost anyways. I thought they only test for HIV/Aids.

Fuck yeah, I got to sit there afterwards with a big ass plate of cookies in front of me, along with other things too like cake-bar things and all sorts of free goodies. They also give you free drinks to wash it all down with.

Ace.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited August 2010
    You know those people you're making "feel better" are actually vampires right? You guys should SELL your platelets instead. You get $$$, can do it twice a month and it doesn't go to the vampires.

EDIT: This takes about 2 hours to do. You get to feel really dopey and watch what is usually a shitty movie. You get a cookie and a drink!
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited August 2010
    I used to sell my plasma when I lived near a Biolife. The only thing I didn't like about it is when they put the saline in to replace the blood. It makes your VEINS cold :(
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited August 2010
    I can not donate blood...for my blood runs black with evil and hatred. :angry:
  • edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure the free coffee and snacks have something to do with the blood.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to give blood at university, but when I switched to a school without a blood donation program I quit.

I think I'm gonna start again though, it's a small effort and you get COOKIES!!
    (seriously, they don't give you cookies everywhere? Come on! Go to a donation center and say "I will donate blood if and only if I get cookies afterwards.")

And AFAIK the volume of blood is restored in a couple hours, the exact compsition (red & white blood cells etc) in a couple days, but to prevent iron deficiency and other forms of malnourishment you can only give blood every couple months.