Things about the classics that piss you off

Sandy RavageSandy Ravage Acolyte
edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I read this on a retro site that I frequent. Thought this place could come up with some entertaining responses.

Basically, I'm asking about the old school systems... primarily the NES, Genesis, even PC.

Mine, from NES, were the mile long passwords. I never understood how some games had 5 character password but others had 20+ (Rambo, anyone?). Also when they never fucking worked after double checking them!

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I used to hate how you couldn't save on the old systems.
  • Sandy RavageSandy Ravage Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Right, but some games could. Pissed me off!
    edited September 2010
    How you could only move left and right:mad: but then again you can't really talk too much shit on the oldies because they spawned every game we have today.

A part of me sort of misses the old 2d platformer.
  • Sandy RavageSandy Ravage Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    A part of me sort of misses the old 2d platformer.

Myself as well. Also, I actually meant this topic to include personal issues, even with certain games. Like if you couldn't beat a certain boss on FF2 or whatever!
    edited September 2010
    Myself as well. Also, I actually meant this topic to include personal issues, even with certain games. Like if you couldn't beat a certain boss on FF2 or whatever!

In that case motherfucking Ninja Gaiden. Shit was so hard also that level of Battletoads where you had to dodge all these obstacles while on a vehicle. I think they were stone walls or logs or something.
  • Icee WeinerIcee Weiner Regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.cinemassacre.com/category/avgn/

This guy does that for me. Makes me chuckle pretty hard as well
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Games where you die when you get hit once and you only get 2 or 3 lives :angry:
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »

Not a classic but Demons Soul's comes to mind right now. Except you have infinite lives in that. Still it made:angry::angry: many a time.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »

Haha go play Rolling Thunder. Oh my fucking god. Hardest game ever. If you get hit by 1 fucking bullet, you die. Also once you jump up or sideways you cannot stop, so if a guy pops up or shoots where you're going to land you die. The enemies wear multi-colored KKK outfits. Everyone should play it.
    edited September 2010
    Wait I just remembered GODDAMN GHOULS AND GHOSTS. Nothing has pissed me off as much before or since I played that fucking game. i never even got past level 1. It was so ridiculous. I've never nerd raged so hard in my life.
  • edited September 2010
    I hate playing something new now, and then reverting back to a classic game which has seemingly terrible physics, graphics, storyline and sounds :D
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    I hate playing something new now, and then reverting back to a classic game which has seemingly terrible physics, graphics, storyline and sounds :D

This dosnt affect me if I go back something really old like Sega Genesis or SNES. But if I got back to like Ps1 then yeah it pisses me off.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited September 2010
    i hate, and still hate, how people beat me in my favorite classic games :sad:
  • PigPig Regular
    edited September 2010
    In the days before auto-saving, when checkpoints were like two hours apart, and the next checkpoint was only accessible after you beat some fucking hard boss.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited September 2010
    controllers of the time. compared to the new peripherals, it was like trying to row a boat with a brick
    edited September 2010
    Lethargica wrote: »
    i hate, and still hate, how people beat me in my favorite classic games :sad:

I too hate this. I used to be amazing at Mortal Kombat 2 but now I get my ass kicked every time.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate how I sucked at every game...except Pokemon.
  • edited September 2010
    Pig wrote: »
    In the days before auto-saving, when checkpoints were like two hours apart, and the next checkpoint was only accessible after you beat some fucking hard boss.

Oh god I hated this. It was like...

Mom - "GET OFF THAT GAME, YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR HOURS"

Me - "I need to get to the next savepoint!!!!!!!!!"

Mom - *Turns off game*

Me - :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited September 2010
    This dosnt affect me if I go back something really old like Sega Genesis or SNES. But if I got back to like Ps1 then yeah it pisses me off.

Yeah same here. If it's a 2D game I don't care but old 3D games are just awful now.
  • PigPig Regular
    edited September 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Oh god I hated this. It was like...

Mom - "GET OFF THAT GAME, YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR HOURS"

Me - "I need to get to the next savepoint!!!!!!!!!"

Mom - *Turns off game*

Me - :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would cunt punt her.
    edited September 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »
    Yeah same here. If it's a 2D game I don't care but old 3D games are just awful now.

I think it's because 2D games dont look like there even trying to look that great where as old 3d games you can tell they tried to make it look awesome but it just looks so full of fail now.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    couldnt change guns very quickly in Goldeneye