Your first Anime?

kaloosakaloosa Regular
edited March 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I figured here we could discuss what anime you were first exposed to and what brought you to the fandom.

The first anime I ever watched was reruns of Speed Racer on Cartoon Network when I was a young lad. At the time, I didn't even know it was Japanese. I just thought the voice actors were weird.

The first anime that I watched and KNEW was Japanese was Dragon Ball Z when it was syndicated on a NY station that was shown in my area, followed it when it moved to Cartoon Network and have been on and off following anime ever since.

What about you guys?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2010
    I usually watched Cartoon Network and I remember Digimon, Swat Cats etc. But Naruto was the first Anime which I watched as an Anime with subtitles.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Ghost in the Shell. My grandpa showed it to me when I was about 4. It was an English dub, but he didn't understand English, so he just pointed out all the boobies.
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pokemon :hai:

I still love it, but find it hard to go back and watch the episodes again as they are incredibly gay, happy and predictable :o

The Pokemon movies and games are alright though.
  • kaloosakaloosa Regular
    edited August 2010
    Pokemon first came to the US when I was in 2nd grade. I remember thinking it was the dumbest thing in the world, if only because everyone else liked it. Probably like 6 months later I gave it a chance because the games were cool. I fell in love with that fuckin show and ended up following it through the Johto Journeys which ended about 2 years later. That's when I followed Toonami religiously and found Tenchi Muyo!, Outlaw Star, and Gundam: The 08th MS Team (the only Gundam series I liked). From there, I became a full out Otaku until about junior year of high school.
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Used to watch some random anime when I was kid but I was never that interested. I'd say what really hooked me up was Death Note and Bleach but what made it really stick was Elfen Lied after that I'd say I wasted ~1 year watching anime and counting . . . :- P
  • edited September 2010
    Wasn't interested in DBZ at the time it was a big hype here. SO the first anime I really watched was Elfen Lied.

Needless to say, it scarred my mind for the rest of my life.
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited September 2010
    The first anime I watch was Doraemon, I was just a kid
    But the really first anime that I download and watch with the knowledge that this is an anime is The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
  • AKIRAAKIRA Regular
    edited September 2010
    My first anime was, if you can believe, was Akira, lol, my grandfather asked me one day if i heard of anime, i was like uh nope, and he put in the VHS of Akira and i fell, and i was hooked, so after that i started to watch DBZ and pokemon, and me and some friends rented an anime called Nightwalker which i know was a good anime, but also had gay overtones like the main dude had gay sex with the villian, so i mainly stick to my favorite old-school anime then watching new anime
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited September 2010
    My first was Akira then I saw Ghost in the Shell. The first series I watched on tele was DBZ but the first I watched straight through was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Cowboy Bebop was the one that sold me to anime though.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited September 2010
    Dragon ball Z, was the first show I watched, and I watched allot. I thought about starting to watch Full Metal Alchemist, but I decided I would look for a scanned copy of the graphic novels, or volumes.

Lately since I have not had much to do I have been reading allot of manga, I finished Ghost in the shell which was really good I hope it is not another 10 years until Gits 2.5 or 3 comes out.

Also, I am reading Appleseed and am on the third volume right now its pretty good.

Oh yeah and thanks the the poster Akira on totse I got the Akira manga and read it, gotta say if you liked the movie read the manga, in fact I doubt I would have read any of these if I had not read the Akira manga.

DoNt fill ur head wit trash.
  • Panic!Panic! Regular
    edited September 2010
    Either DBZ or Gundam Wing I can't remember exactly. Oh, then pokemon and digmon
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2010
    Probably Dragonball, or Pokemon. WTF happened to Toonami? No wait.
    SAILOR MOON!!
    sailor_moon_3.jpg
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited October 2010
    DBZ and Gundam in my toonami years, never liked pokemon show much but played the fuck out of those games for about 12 years and counting. First real anime as a kid was a few eps of Cowboy Bebop, so when I was done talking shit on anime (because I ran out of movies to watch after ~5 years) I downloaded it. Actually a few weeks before that I got high and watched part of a Ghost in the Shell movie and found it bad ass so I downloaded Bebop. I think anime is way more pleasing to the senses, high or not, than real shit a lot of the time. Also was pretty hooked solid after watching "Mushroom Samba" and a few other Bebop episodes while on shrooms.
  • busxbusx Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    First anime I watched was pokemon, then digimon and all that stuff on cartoon network.

The first anime I actually went and found on the internet, in the original japanese, was fullmetal alchemist (original). From there I fell in love with various other anime, like cowboy bebop and black lagoon.
  • edited March 2011
    The first anime I bothered to watch all the way through was either Pokemon or Digimon. Then a little later on, it was Death Note and Chobits :) I started watching Elfen Lied but I got bored with putting so much time into watching things that I stopped and went back to posting on forums and shit.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited March 2011
    Death note.
  • ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited March 2011
    Never have been into Anime and I never watched pokemon or DBZ but the one i do remember watching a whole lot when i was little was Sailor Moon.