I hate libraries

edited September 2010 in Spurious Generalities
It's so fucking quiet in here, I'm actually scared to take my iPod out and realize how loud I've been typing... :facepalm:

Anyone else hate how quiet libraries are?

Comments

• MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    the local libraries around me always have retarded mothers leaving their kids their because they cant afford childcare
  • zingalongzingalong Regular
    edited September 2010
    Come to my university library, it's like a fucking rave in there.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I know what you mean about the typing thing. I hate that it always seems's so fucking loud when it's quiet.
  • edited September 2010
    I know what you mean about the typing thing. I hate that it always seems's so fucking loud when it's quiet.

It really doesn't help when the keyboards are absolutely shit in the library. I was typing and was literally having to hammer the keys down.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm in the library right now. :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
  • edited September 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I'm in the library right now. :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Listen to the deafening silence bro :D
    edited September 2010
    Silence punctuated by

Fap

Fap

Fap

Fap

Fap

Fap

PSSSSSSSSH
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    Haven't been in one over 9 nine years so it's kinda hard to relate.

Some dude told me that they got these black surfaces that SCAN the book's barcode? I remember the old fashion stamping and library card. A friend of mine said he renewed his card and had to enter a PIN. LOL!

Can anyone confirm this?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »

Some dude told me that they got these black surfaces that SCAN the book's barcode? I remember the old fashion stamping and library card. A friend of mine said he renewed his card and had to enter a PIN. LOL!

Can anyone confirm this?

It wouldnt surprise me. Everything is electronic now. It's the future man.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    I was going to print something at the library today, but when I got there it was closed! Some old man told me that the government cut the funding to save money. (they still have money to give the politicians a $2000 raise though)
  • edited September 2010

Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, it's all electronic now bro. Kinda sucks, I want the stamps back :(
    edited September 2010
    Protip: Always hold a pen to look busy :D
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    The books at both the university library and public library have barcode stickers. Having it electronic is nice. I know when books are due back and if they've been renewed or not. All that shit's online.
  • BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited September 2010

Can anyone confirm this?

At the Berkeley libraries all the books have RFID, the real RFID, not the RF tags they use for loss prevention in stores, and self-checkout machines with touch screens that have a laser thing to scan the barcode on your library card and when you place the books down on the black surface it reads the RFID and logs the info into the system after you confirm you want to check out everything and I guess it deactivates any loss prevention devices, then it prints your receipt, and it also has something that opens the DVD cases; it's very convenient and they need less employees because of this, which saves money.

Oh, neat, there's a video:

Technology is awesome!
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited September 2010
    WHAT?

That's freaking crazy! So no more employees I guess?
  • BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited September 2010
    They still need people as assistants and people to organize books; sometimes the RFID doesn't work, probably because someone damaged it, so you have to have them check it out the old fashion way(bar code scanner). I think I've also seen security in there and there might be other jobs I don't know about.

Goddamn it, I hate it when someone puts books back on the wrong shelf or just plain leave things where it'll take forever for someone to find them and put them back, it's such a pain.