Tor-tse - a proposal for an 'Underground' Totse

da teachada teacha Regular
edited December 2010 in Help and Suggestions
The most interesting content, is that which we probably can't safely post in the open.

An underground section of the site, where we'd be able to post in true anonymity, would unlock many doors; giving way to extremely useful content.

A while ago, I had a flash drive totally dedicated to anonymous browsing. I wasn't entirely sure whether it worked effectively, but I'm sure if we plugged our minds together, we could have a dedicated guide to keeping anonymous, and could use that to stay safe when posting fringe content.

Tor would be the ideal place to host such a site imo, as it provides better performance than other competitors such as Freenet. Additionally, word of a Totse on the Tor network would definitely attract some of the Tor browsers who linger on the network; some of whom are probably interesting people with thigns to contribute.

Furthermore, Totse's presence on Tor would mean the network as a whole could benefit in performance and effectiveness as more people are providing their connections.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    Bump for review
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2010
    Sounds good.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2010
    I like this. But we need to decide how to do it and who is going to handle it etc. I am not really a Tor user and I doubt hellish uses Tor network. Any one with experience about hosting server on Tor?
  • edited September 2010
    I like the idea, but I have absolutely no idea how to start anything up like this.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited September 2010
    No idea.
  • da teachada teacha Regular
    edited September 2010
    So firstly, you need to have software which will allow you to access the Tor nextwork. Google, follow instructions, download, etc. 'Tor Bundle' is what you want.

When you have shit set up, you can access internet via proxy (another Tor user), however ALSO can access 'hidden' services; shit hosted on other users' servers.

The first port of call is http://kpvz7ki2v5agwt35.onion/wiki/index.php/Main_Page - The hidden wiki. Note the .onion domain.

From here there are links to various Tor sites. There's generally nothing of interest. But imo, it's a wasteland with huge potential to use for something interesting.

There's a free host available, Freedom Hosting - http://xqz3u5drneuzhaeo.onion/ here perhaps we could have a little trial of making a BBS with content from Bad Ideas, Warez, etc.

If it's showing signs of being successful, maybe then we could look at our own hosting? Maybe creating some kind of network where the site isn't hosted in one place, but is joint hosted by several people across the world....
  • Mutant Funk DrinkMutant Funk Drink New Arrival
    edited October 2010
    Actually, this was something I was working on extensively a year ago. I made a clone of Totse using phpBB and I was going to run it as a Tor hidden service. There didn't seem to be enough interest in it though so I ceased development.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited October 2010
    well ive been saying we need to have an actual bbs.totse.info BBS
    this we be pretty cool to have hidden in there, or maybe do one or both off-site. with a rigorous application procedure and secrecy procedures. this actually sounds fkng amazing.
  • TorTSETorTSE Semo-Regulars
    edited December 2010