What's the best way to enjoy food?

Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
edited July 2010 in Life
I questioned this while grabbing the last biscuit. I had to savor it - but how? How do you savor? Would closing my eyes work - because I'm disabling one of my other senses? Is that why people close their eyes when eating something delicious?

Halp! I want to enjoy food more!

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Close your eyes. Sit at a table for eating. Don't read or "do" anything while eating. Music may help though.

olol I forgot to say Look at the food first. Try to admire its visual qualities per se, without comparing to anything in rivalry. Try to find fun patterns or shapes in it if it won't get cold too fast.

Smell the food. Imagine how it might taste based on the smell you perceive. Remind yourself that the taste may not match the smell and that you are open to the experience anyway.

Take a smaller bite than you usually would. Smell the food first in a sniff, then in a snort as it's under your nose. See how you have different scents and sensations when you breathe hard and deep to smell.

Chew slowly and thoroughly. Don't swallow until you think you couldn't chew it any further. Move the food around in your mouth. See what it tastes like on the different taste bud areas of the tongue. See if you like chewing it on the left or the right, more toward the front or the back. Swallow when the time comes.

Alternate at the desired rate with the same procedure for your favorite drink.

Also I'm pretty sure people close their eyes in exaggerated ecstasy.

Note also that this post focuses pretty much entirely on the sensate aspect of eating, but some people can derive mental imagery (I don't mean like synesthesia but that a thought pattern can be led by the experience) from eating. As you become familiar with every aspect of what you're eating, you may come to appreciate it more in various ways and develop many interesting thought tangents.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    Nice post. Will definitely do that with tomorrow's meal.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    Get some sorbet or other pallet cleanser if you're having more than once course, it will help define seperate flavors without the last course muddying things up.

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/explorefrenchfood/a/palatecleanser.htm
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    smell the food while chewing. pay attention to textures on your tongue.

no homo
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Get some sorbet or other pallet cleanser if you're having more than once course, it will help define seperate flavors without the last course muddying things up.

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/explorefrenchfood/a/palatecleanser.htm

Definitely this, it must be so ace to taste everything as if you just started eating.
  • edited July 2010
    Put it in your butt and shit out your mouth.
  • TurkishDelightTurkishDelight Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    with weed.
  • John StamosJohn Stamos Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Put it in your butt and shit out your mouth.

I can attest to this method. Works like a charm. Healthier than eating regularly.
  • GreenbullGreenbull Regular
    edited July 2010
    There's nothing better than being starving and smelling the food before you gobble it down.

So, being hungry.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
    Im definitely going to try that next time I go to McDonalds. Im sure everyone will look at me like im a retard, but I don't give a fuck im "enjoying" my food. :)
  • Professor ElmProfessor Elm Regular
    edited July 2010
    You must remember to have a glass of water, or another drink that does not hinder the tast of the food. The more hydrated your mouth, the more flavour you extract.