CulinaryOverloard vs. LouisCypher

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited October 2010 in Life
You two are challenged to a recipe duel. What is the best thing that can be made with whatever's in my pantry?

3 packets of rice bowl chicken rice.
Croutons
2 boxes of reggano pasta salad: creamy parmesan and ranch+bacon.
Half a box of pancake mix
Olive oil
Cinnamon graham crackers
Raspberry vinaigrette
Peanuts
Cream of celery
2x Canned corn
Canned black beans
Flour
Canned Green beans
Sugar
Salt
Butter
Cheddar cheese (~3oz)
Sweet baby ray's
2% Milk
Ranch dressing
Onions
Ice cream
Frozen raspberries
Frozen peas
Waffles
Syrup
Frozen vegetable mix (carrots cauliflower broccoli)
Wheat bread
Strawberry jam
Velveeta mac & cheese
Tomato basil pasta sauce
Angel hair
Medium shell noodles
Bacon
Ketchup
Mustard
Vinegar (apple and white)
Hot sauce
Apples
Assorted spices
Raisins
12 eggs

Comments

• LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited October 2010
    Can we mabye make this thing a little more specific? I can make a million things with a 20 dollar budget and how would we judge anyway? Whatever sounds best?
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2010
    And the secret ingredient is....
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    Come up with the Krabby Patty Secret Formula!
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    Specified.
    edited October 2010
    Damn, what a hodge podge of shit. This will take me a few minutes.
    edited October 2010
    hmmm I'm aiming for a three course meal, have a few ideas, you sure you don't have any eggs?
    edited October 2010
    Yes I do, added to the list.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2010
    1. Take 2 slices of bread
    2. put everything on your list in between the slices of bread
    3. eat that shit up
    4. probably vomit everywhere

When all else fails...
    edited October 2010
    What kind of mustard is it?
    edited October 2010
    Weber's horseradish mustard. There's about an ounce left.
    edited October 2010
    Alright I have to admit this was pretty hard for me since you dont have any fresh veg or proteins but heres what I got.

Stuffed savory Pate a choux(cream puff) w/creamed corn and bacon lardons

Apple raisin crisp for dessert.

For the Pate a choux:

3/4 cup water
    3oz butter
    Teaspoon salt
    1 cup flour
    1 tablespoon of your horseradish mustard
    3 eggs

combine water butter and salt and bring to a boil reduce heat to low, stir in the flour all at once and stir the shit out of it until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan, the dough should be pretty smooth and not sticking to the bottom. Keep cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes dont let the dough color.
    Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl and add the mustard and another teaspoon of salt, some chopped herbs if you have any and mix for a minute or two to let some steam escape. Add your eggs one at a time incorporating each egg completley before you add the next one. remove your dough and put it in a pastry bag if you have one or you could cut the corner off of a ziploc bag. Pipe the dough into little golfball sized shapes on a sheet pan with parchment or foil keeping in mind they are going to puff up quite a bit. Throw them in a preheated oven at 425 and cook for 10 mins then reduce your oven heat to 350 and cook for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and pierce with a knife or toothpick to release the steam. When cool cut off the top of the puffs and save them, you will have a hollow cream puff ready to be stuffed.

For the stuffing I was thinking make a cheddar sauce tossed with your frozen vegetable mix You don't have much cheddar but you wont need much sauce so just make a small amout of roux (equal parts flour and butter cooked into a paste for a thickening agent.) Lets say roughly 1 oz flour and 1 oz butter. Heat 1 cup milk to a scald and whisk the milk into your hot roux with a tiny bit of salt and cook until thickened to a sauce like consistency. Grate your cheddar and whisk it in until incorporated. Cook your veg , halve the larger florets if there are any, season to taste then combine with your cheese sauce. you want a light sauce covering the veg, not like a soup. Fill your puffs with your stuffing and place on a plate masked with your hot creamed corn, sprinkle the sauteed bacon bitsover everything and dig in!

This is taking forever so I'm going to post this take a break and write up the dessert afterwards.
  • edited October 2010
    The choux paste was a great idea, but sometimes a little hard for a beginner to pull off. Give me an hour or so, I just got off work and smell like shnitzel.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited October 2010
    This should be interesting.
  • edited October 2010
    Corn and bacon fritters with black bean salsa.? Shit, no oil.

Ahh, there it is, I think I'll call this one; crepes a la totse. As with any recipe read the whole thing first, I put the crepes first because they are difficult, but you should probably make the filling ahead of time.

Make 6 crepes, to do this you will need a well cured pan, that is one that has been used a lot, or a decent quality no stick 10" pan.

Make crepe batter to the following recipe.
    1/2 cup flour+1 tsp
    1 cup milk
    1 egg+1 egg yolk(to separate the yolk, just crack the egg into your hand and let the white run through your fingers while keeping the yolk)
    dash salt
    tiny dash nutmeg, about the same amount as a bump:D

mix ingredients until smooth with a whisk or hand mixer, allow to rest for an hour

pre heat the pan on about 2.5 or about 2/3 of the way between low and medium.

It is especially important to heat the pan if it is not a non stick pan, if you put the batter in a cold pan it will stick. When you can feel the pan is hot take a piece of paper towel and pick up a little butter with it, not much, then smear it around the hot pan, or hit it with some pan spray if you have some, the butter will work best in a cast iron pan, the pan spray is better for no stick.

Use a ladle to put approximately 1/8 of the batter into the center of the pan and quickly tilt the pan in a circle, imagine you are trying to roll a marble around the edge of the pan. The batter should make an even circle in the pan. This may take a bit of practice, that is why the recipe makes 8 but you only need 6.

When the batter has lost it's shine, this will take about 20 seconds, you can flip it, unless you do this for a living it is a bit of a bitch, I usually just use my fingers, and if that doesn't work, fuck it, the crepe will be fine if it is only cooked on one side. Cook on the other side for about another 10 seconds(or not), then place it on a clean dry wooden surface to cool a bit. Your successful crepes can be stacked between layers of plastic wrap or wax paper once cool.

Repeat until you have 6 crepes. Double the recipe if you think it might take a bit to get the method down, excess crepes are very easy to dispose of with butter and jam.

Now the filling.

Dice one large yellow onion, each piece should be about 1/4 inch
    Chop 10 strips of bacon
    Grate all your cheese.
    Open and drain a can of corn.

also needed, pepper, white wine if available.

Fry the chopped bacon on medium heat until brown and drain off most of the fat, you don't want it crispy just cooked.

Add the diced onion and continue frying until the onion is clear and a little brown, then add the corn, and a little wine or water, just enough that it dissolves the goodies on the bottom of the pan. Saute for about another minute or so and remove from the pan, wait till it is not steaming anymore then put it in the fridge until cool. Then mix in the grated cheddar.

Fill your crepes by putting a couple of spoonfulls of the filling spread out in a line acrosss the center, then fold the bottom up and roll it, just like a doob.

Now you have your filled crepes, in a perfect world you would have individual "boat" dishes to put two crepes each in, but i will assume you have a cake pan instead.
    Group the crepes in a cake pan in two's about 1/2" apart. Also in a perfect world I would now teach you how to make bechamel sauce to top them with, but this is already a two pan job, so lets find a substitute.

Umm if you want the bechamel sauce method, I'll give it, but for expediency, try taking the cream of celery soup and adding about 1/2 the water(yah, I did this one in challengeC/O but whatever, my GF wants to cyber), pour the sauce over the crepes evenly then take some of the croutons and bash them to fuck in a bag and sprinkle the crumbs over the sauced up crepes.

Bake for 15 minutes in a 375 degree pre heated oven until the sauce is bubbling and the ends of the crepes are brown. Be very careful taking them out to serve, they will be a little fragile, use a broad pancake spatula.

Side dishes, Ideally a nice simple green salad, but one of the pasta salads with some apple and raisins in it would provide a little bit of balance, and some filler to accompany the somewhat insubstantial crepes.

Dessert, heat some of the frozen razzberries in a pan with some sugar and pour over a scoop of ice cream on 1/2 a waffle. Serve flamed with brandy, or white lightning whatever you have around.

C/O
    "and now I pause and reflect on my dreams of someday writing a cookbook, that was fucking work!"

And yes I realize I met the choux paste with possibly even more difficult crepes, but the alternative was veggie bacon chilli on rice.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    Now make this shit in my apartment and I will judge who wins.
  • edited October 2010
    You pay airfare, yes?
    edited October 2010
    Holy shit these both sound tasty. Wait for louis to come back with dessert and we'll vote.
    edited October 2010
    Totse will pay for it. To make it even more challenging you can only use the utensils/pots/pans I have in my kitchen along with my shitty electric stove.

1 spatula
    1 small pot
    1 large pot
    1 9'' skillet
    1 8'' chef's knife
    1 4'' paring knife
    (both sharpened to a 20 degree angle on each side of the blade by me. They cut well.)

1 9x13 pyrex baking dish
    1 2 cup pyrex measuring cup

Go!
    edited October 2010
    You can make anything with that kai.
    edited October 2010
    Warm Apple raisin Crisp ala mode

For the filling, peel quarter and slice apples, toss with raisins. In a seperate bowl mix a little sugar, flour cinnamon, a dash of lemon juice and nutmeg in a bowl and add to your fruit mixture tossing to distribute evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 pyrex baking dish or individual baking ramekins.

For the topping in a mixing bowl combine 4 oz butter, 4oz sugar and 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cut the butter into the flour and sugar mixture until crumbly then sprinkle the topping evenly over your fruit mixture. Throw into a preheated oven at 350 until the apples are tender and the topping is golden.

Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
    edited October 2010
    Alright, VOTING TIME!
    edited October 2010
    This was fun and we should do it again sometime. Nice dish CO, its good to see another serious cook around these parts.
    edited October 2010
    You can make anything with that kai.

I am fangly, not kai. Also they can only use a few pots to do it, unlike that top chef bullshit where they have an infinite supply of everything.
    edited October 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    I am fangly, not kai.

It matters. :mad:
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    I'll take chicken wings and white rice any day over those two 'things.'
    edited October 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I'll take chicken wings and white rice any day over those two 'things.'

Thanks for your 2 cents, but I already have a jar of petty change at home. Keep it for yourself and buy some class.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for your 2 cents, but I already have a jar of petty change at home. Keep it for yourself and buy some class.
    I can't buy anything with your jar.
  • edited October 2010
    Sometime around 5:30 am my eyelids banged open and I thought, "black bean succotash", it would have been way simpler but Cypher had me going with the Choux paste.

Succotash is basically just fried bacon, onions, corn, and beans, and it would have gone very well with a pack of the flavored rice, and the cheese grated over it, with some hot sauce, and I would make it over the crepes anyday.
    C/O
    "fuck"
  • edited October 2010
    I love voter apathy.