Sharing Uni Journals online

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited November 2010 in Man Cave
Hai guise!

I don't know if you have heard (assuming you're American), but Uni tuition fees are increasing anywhere up to £9,000 in the UK, and it is pissing off a lot of people - so much so that they are putting on yellow shirts to march around Parliament!

Anyway, I wanted to actually achieve something and undermine the Uni system instead of pretending to be a lame fuckup "child of the Revolution" (as Facebook puts it)

So to the story -
I have access to literally every Academic Journal ever printed, mostly in digital format (.PDF) as part of my Uni fees. I have started sharing them via BitTorrent and wondered if there were any requests or tips. I edit the metadata from the .PDF files and take out anything which could identify me, so I have covered my arse in that way, and as they are only 1-3MB in size, they get seeded pretty fast.

Good idea? Bad idea? Any tips? Requests? I can get most subjects, not just History, although that's my speciality.

Comments

• DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited November 2010
    Good idea. Leak everything.

What subjects are available? Upload them on major filehosters too.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    I have access to huge numbers of databases as well. I can easily look up and send articles to whoever needs them. What's the easiest way to edit out the metadata?
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I use a program called "PDFill PDF Editor", take out the first page which is usually created when you download the article and contains your unique URL etc. Also when you save the new, edited .PDF with said program, you can edit data such as Author, created by, security etc.

If there is a better way then can someone let me know? Cheers.
    edited November 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    Good idea. Leak everything.

What subjects are available? Upload them on major filehosters too.

Sorry, double post.
    I use this for history journals, but they also contain economic, social, political articles etc. Some others include:

Zetoc, Westlaw, SPORTdiscus, Ebscohost, Periodicals Archive Online, Parliamentary Papers, International Index to the Performing Arts, FAME, Electronic Journals Service, 18th and 19th Century Parliament Papers, Business Source Complete, British History Online (all types of media here), British Humanities Index and Academic Source Premiere to name a few
    edited November 2010
    WHAT. Good thing I'm not applying to college. :cool:
    edited November 2010

You in the UK?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010

Something wrong with journal articles? I love them, even though I don't understand a lot of them :p
    edited November 2010
    No, New York.
    edited November 2010
    No, New York.

A mate of mine graduated from a University (College?) in New York a few weeks back. Looked pretty sweet.

And yeah, Journal articles can be confusing at the best of times, but they have a blurb (usually) and as long as you know the context/background, then you're usually alright. Lecturers (well mine at least) pretty much jerk off over them, so the more Journal footnotes the better! :fap:
  • lazybumlazybum Acolyte
    edited November 2010
    woot, doesnt concern me since i'm living in the states
  • edited November 2010
    Fuck the system. Knowledge should be free and accessible.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited November 2010
    Upload them to rapidshare and make some cash.
    edited November 2010
    I uploaded a fuckton to TPB and my account was banned, so am slowly reupping them as we speak.
    How would you make money from Rapidshare? And if the end user has to pay them I'm not interested. It's all free in my eyes.