The great lakes will be fucked within 10 years.

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited September 2010 in Life
I assume you've heard of the asian carp. They've made it past the electric fence.

Enjoy bass fishing while it lasts.

Comments

• Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Can still fish for bass in the tens of thousands of lakes.

I mainly fish for walleye anyways.

There is some evidence that the asian carp may actually help with the zebra mussel problem, starving them of food.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    Jolt890 wrote: »
    There is some evidence that the asian carp may actually help with the zebra mussel problem, starving them of food.

Then the filtering zebra muscles disappear, the lakes become scuzzy again.
  • HippieTrippieHippieTrippie Regular
    edited July 2010
    There are already a shit ton of invasive species around here anyway, from Giant Snakeheads to Gar. You can fish Bass effectively and without much trouble from Asian Carp whether they are present or not. I know this from experience as I fish the Mississippi River and pools and lakes around those areas, and you'll see a few carp washed up or tossed aside along the banks, but I easily hit limits without ever seeing one.
    edited July 2010
    I still don't want to get decapitated by a flying fish when i'm on my jetski.
    edited July 2010
    I still don't want to get decapitated by a flying fish when i'm on my jetski.

What the FUCK does that have to do with carp?
    edited July 2010
    edited July 2010

What the fuck? I live in Illinois and have fished a lot of the lakes and rivers and I have NEVER seen a carp do that. Someone here is full of shit.
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    It's an asian carp, they're known to do that, google for fucks sake.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited July 2010
    so does anyone want to invest in my new asian carp recipe book?
  • edited July 2010
    so does anyone want to invest in my new asian carp recipe book?

Goddamn ... They're reaching around here as well. If I see any .... they go in my stomach. I would invest in your book, sir.
    edited July 2010
    Make that 1 year. They are 5 miles away.

edited July 2010
    You people suck for not giving a damn.
  • edited July 2010
    You people suck for not giving a damn.

It's not like there is much we can do. We know of no predator or any organism that can even provide competent population management. The electric fence is as close as we can go without killing other marine life.
    edited July 2010
    They could close the damn Chicago river locks. Problem solved.
    But they don't want to "kill the 1.5billion dollar shipping industry"
    (but it's ok to let the 7 billion dollar recreation industry die)

You can't use jetskis or small boats on waters with asian carp. The motors scare them into jumping. A 20lb fish hitting you in the head at 35mph is deadly.
  • edited July 2010
    They could close the damn Chicago river locks. Problem solved.
    But they don't want to "kill the 1.5billion dollar shipping industry"
    (but it's ok to let the 7 billion dollar recreation industry die)

You can't use jetskis or small boats on waters with asian carp. The motors scare them into jumping. A 20lb fish hitting you in the head at 35mph is deadly.

I agree they should try to contain this problem while we try to figure out a weakness in the organism. Those silver carp have a lot of muscle behind them, so close that shit down. This, in essence, is just the same as kudzu in the southeast. Seriously intended to fight erosion and they did it with too much proficiency and are now choking our many unique and specialized species. We need to start researching the ecology of their origin and look for parasites and opportunistic microorganisms from around there. Make sure though that they are VERY specialized and will not affect many of the other organisms in their new habitat.
    edited July 2010
    But they won't. :mad:
  • edited July 2010
    But they won't. :mad:

They? You mean the scientists, the fish, or the potential population management? And "they" will not do what?
    edited July 2010
    They? You mean the scientists, the fish, or the potential population management? And "they" will not do what?

The Obama administration is opposing the closing of the locks. They are going to fuck this up bigger than bush fucked up the war. I'm so amazingly fucking livid that the lakes will be ruined. The utter incompetence of our government is incredible.

MOLOTOV EVERYTHING!
  • edited July 2010
    The Obama administration is opposing the closing of the locks. They are going to fuck this up bigger than bush fucked up the war. I'm so amazingly fucking livid that the lakes will be ruined. The utter incompetence of our government is incredible.

MOLOTOV EVERYTHING!

That is odd considering it would be in their financial interest to preserve the more valuable industry. Maybe the ruling class has a thing against aquatic life. :confused:
    edited July 2010
    That is odd considering it would be in their financial interest to preserve the more valuable industry. Maybe the ruling class has a thing against aquatic life. :confused:

No idea :confused:
  • edited September 2010

Bureaucracy has a thing for responding after damage has already been inflicted. At least something is starting to get done. Seriously, the poison idea may be good, but we had best MAJORLY test for selectivity.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited September 2010
    I guess I better learn Chinese:sad: