Laptop VS Desktop

edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
Which do you prefer out of the two, and why?

Personally, I prefer a desktop computer because of the ability to customize it and upgrade all the parts infinitely. With upgrades, you can make one computer last a lifetime! You don't get the same ability with laptops, and although you can increase your RAM easily it's just not the same :( Desktop computers are also much better for gaming and performance, thanks to the ability to upgrade to aftermarket GPU's and other parts. I love my graphics card!

I also own a laptop, and it's fantastic for computing on the move. I can take it out (I'm doing this in a little while when I go to a friend's house), I run Backtrack Linux on it so I can learn/hack when I'm in a location other than my own house. I also love the keyboard. I don't like the fact I can't upgrade it though, it's small and it overheats way quicker than any desktop would.

Comments

• DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit, that reminds me. I gotta try cracking a wep key. I used a wifi sniffer app on my iPhone and there's about 80% connectivity, that should suffice eh? Gonna download the live CD right now.

On topic- I prefer a desktop computer because of the setup. I really hate using trackpads and having to adjust my chair to reach a perfect ergonomic position. My PC [iMac] is just there and the 27" screen > 17".
  • edited March 2011
    ^ Good luck dude. Try using the tutorial which I posted in another thread which was made earlier this week - it's perfect and works exactly as planned. Also, remember to enable networking before you start using Backtrack, etc. Make a thread, let us know how you get on.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Well as far as upgrading it can only take you so far for so long and eventually you'll have to get a new computer.

Laptops these days have come a fuck of a long way. Just as powerful as a desktop, and can be moved around. I prefer a laptop. But I don't do much gaming and stuff. Yeah you can't really upgrade it but chances are you'll break the fucker and have to buy a new one in a year anyways.

Just fyi I use my Acer Aspire One D250 for EVERYTHING. Including gimp and shit. This little pile of shit has really surprised me. I never wanted a netbook, but I got it for $150.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    Depends on the situation. I really can't pick.
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    Well as far as upgrading it can only take you so far for so long and eventually you'll have to get a new computer.

Laptops these days have come a fuck of a long way. Just as powerful as a desktop, and can be moved around. I prefer a laptop. But I don't do much gaming and stuff. Yeah you can't really upgrade it but chances are you'll break the fucker and have to buy a new one in a year anyways.

Just fyi I use my Acer Aspire One D250 for EVERYTHING. Including gimp and shit. This little pile of shit has really surprised me. I never wanted a netbook, but I got it for $150.
    No real man would ever use that. :hrmph:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    No real man would ever use that. :hrmph:

A fucking ninja would. :P
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Up until about a year or so ago I would have agreed with the OP. But I have been using a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a 17.3" screen and it does more than any tower I own.
    edited March 2011
    Trx100, mind posting the link to the tut? I can't find it.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Up until about a year or so ago I would have agreed with the OP. But I have been using a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a 17.3" screen and it does more than any tower I own.

You know this whole trend of making laptops bigger and shit is pissing me off, If I wanted a fucking 18" screen I'd buy a damn desktop. Laptop should be small. Was in Best Buy a while back, and besides netbooks, you can't find a normal size laptop, they are all this monstrous things. BAH
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    Shit, and here I am trying to figure out how to get the Alienware laptop of my Dad's girlfriend. Her son gave it to her and she has no clue of how to even use it at 69 years old. It has a Huuuuugggggeee ass screen. Hey, portable is as portable does...
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited March 2011
    It depends on what im doing on the system. but currently im on an Hp G72 17.3 inch. i got it for college so i can carry it around.
  • edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »

Technically if you upgraded enough parts, you'd have a new computer anyway :D

And the link to the tutorial someone requested is here - http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=simple_wep_crack
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Technically if you upgraded enough parts, you'd have a new computer anyway :D

And the link to the tutorial someone requested is here - http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=simple_wep_crack

Well that's kind of like the old question, if you replaced every single part on a car, is it still the same car?
  • SemSem Regular
    edited March 2011
    While laptops are nice and portable desktops will in my opinion always be the better of the two.

As far as repairs go I can replace desktop parts much quicker and easier than any laptop. If the keyboard on my laptop goes out I end up having to take the whole damn thing apart to replace it not to mention custom order that specific part.

Also, while buddha mentioned that laptops are made these days on par with most desktops there generally a larger price increase.

Course without laptops I'd be much more reluctant to go about hacking in general.
  • edited March 2011
    ^ Laptops + Backtrack FTW. I love being able to take my laptop around the place primarily for this reason. Plus if something goes terribly wrong, you can throw the laptop in a bag and haul ass! :D Only problem I've experienced with my laptop running Backtrack is that some of the tools on there run a little slowly compared to my Quad core desktop :(