Cell Phone Bomb

edited March 2011 in Man Cave
Is it possible to set up an explosive device inside a cell phone? I remember seeing it on a movie once which isn't exactly a reliable source, but it did get me questioning whether or not it's actually possible.

So, would you be able to rig a cell phone to detonate, what would be the extent of the damage and how easy would it be to do?

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    You might be able to but it seems extremely ineffective to me. Because it's a cellphone the amount of explosive would have to be small as fuck so I can't see it being a powerful bomb at all. I would assume it would go off when you answered it and wouldn't that cause it to blow up in your hand before you put it near the head so that the final result is just a damaged hand?
  • edited March 2011
    Hmm. Is there a way to detonate the explosive when the phone received a text or call? That would be awesome, and you could blow your target's leg off or something. Then again, you mentioned the fact that you couldn't fit very much explosive inside the cell phone...
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Hmm. Is there a way to detonate the explosive when the phone received a text or call? That would be awesome, and you could blow your target's leg off or something. Then again, you mentioned the fact that you couldn't fit very much explosive inside the cell phone...

Thats the thing. I can't think of an explosive that would fit in one that could be powerful enough to do all that much damage. This seems like it would have worked ok with those old ass cellphones that were huge but now they are so much smaller.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    DS hit it on the head. All about size vs explosive force. You may be able to squeeze a tiny amount of C4 into a nook/cranny in the phone and add shrapnel, so it's a low-sized boom, but high shrapnel-count (glass fragments?). Best bet would be to wire the phone up to an external explosive.
  • LordWormLordWorm Regular
    edited March 2011
    It wouldn't be worthwhile to fill a modern cell phone with explosives, as there's simply not enough room in the casing.

An interesting alternative would be to place a small EFP charge inside the target's alarm clock, with the penetrator aimed directly at the position of their head while they sleep. Reroute the alarm power to a relay, which is connected to an electrical detonator and a 9V battery. The target will go to sleep pondering the days to come, but little does he know, he'll never wake up again. :D

All hypothetical of course, and I don't condone using explosives for murder. But damn, I should be writing movie scripts. :cool:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    Make an EMP bomb and use it inside a hospital. You'll probably kill more people than with a conventional bomb of that size.
  • edited March 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited March 2011
    LordWorm wrote: »
    It wouldn't be worthwhile to fill a modern cell phone with explosives, as there's simply not enough room in the casing.

An interesting alternative would be to place a small EFP charge inside the target's alarm clock, with the penetrator aimed directly at the position of their head while they sleep. Reroute the alarm power to a relay, which is connected to an electrical detonator and a 9V battery. The target will go to sleep pondering the days to come, but little does he know, he'll never wake up again. :D

All hypothetical of course, and I don't condone using explosives for murder. But damn, I should be writing movie scripts. :cool:

Or maybe rig up an EFP and power supply inside of a mailbox and have the initiator attach to the mailbox door.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Well, [thinks] the Cell phone bomb would be small but it can be used for creating panic. Consider placing 6 or more of these cellphones and detonating them at various intervals in a room full of people like church or mosque or even a seminar. The idea is to create panic and the let the crowd factor take hold. People will run for the exit and in doing so, will run over others and possibly kill or injure. They will remember this small ordeal for a very long time to come and people will panic thanks to the image embedded in them.

Is this plausible?
    Yes, it's very plausible. You just hand these prototype mobile phones to people entering the seminar or why not go with some flashlights. Like in a concert, you distribute those flashlights [working ones] and when the time comes to light them up, they all detonate remotely or via the user. The panic created by this can easily kill hundreds.

I mean I am sure it's not that difficult to set a timer for like an hour in the flashlight and then handing them to the fans. Not many security groups checks these minor details.

Come to think of it, it's best if you use something that doesn't seem like a threat. A mobile phone is always looked a bit harshly due to it's communication link feature but who would doubt an ordinary flash light or stick for some concert. You could get 50 of those and only plant explosive in 10 of the. The rest can have some fake smoke timers that would release smoke, this along with explosives is a sure way to fuck everyone up.
  • edited March 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    But then you don't get to scream "ALLAHU ACKBAR" before shit goes down :(

You could always hijack the wireless microphone and play the Durka Durka tape.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly all you need to do is short out the Li-Ion cell...
  • edited March 2011
    Maybe something similar to the device used here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Airlines_Flight_434