WTF my desktop starts on its own

DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
edited May 2011 in Tech & Games
Anyway I recently activated hibernation on windows 7, however when it's put into hibernation for the night it will start up on its own in the early hours of the morning. any suggestions on what may be causing this?

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    It has only started doing it since i installed a TV tuner in it last week, i have checked that wake on lan and whatnot have been disabled in the bios and i have checked the power settings and nothing is set to wake it up
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited May 2011
    It has only started doing it since i installed a TV tuner in it last week, i have checked that wake on lan and whatnot have been disabled in the bios and i have checked the power settings and nothing is set to wake it up

Do you own a cat?
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but its always out side at night. that i make sure of, besides i'm sure the cat couldn't press the power button to turn it on
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited May 2011
    Unplug everything. Make sure no devices are allowed to wake the computer. Remove the tv tuner. If it still turns on let us know.
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, but its always out side at night. that i make sure of, besides i'm sure the cat couldn't press the power button to turn it on

What about your keyboard? Many of them have power keys or power key combos. My cats have done all sorts of interesting things with my systems over the years. Just sayin....
    edited May 2011
    What about your keyboard? Many of them have power keys or power key combos. My cats have done all sorts of interesting things with my systems over the years. Just sayin....

i had that problem with my laptop before i built my desktop, cat sitting on the keyboard doing weird shit
    edited May 2011
    i had that problem with my laptop before i built my desktop, cat sitting on the keyboard doing weird shit

Oh hell yeah... Cats love laptops because of the heat. If I leave the room I have to close the lid for fear of them earning me a flooding infraction.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Go to Device Manager:
    Check TV Turner propertise and see if that device can bring computer out of hibernation.

Check your event logs to pin point the problem.
    edited May 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Go to Device Manager:
    Check TV Turner propertise and see if that device can bring computer out of hibernation.

Check your event logs to pin point the problem.

looks like it was scheduled to run a defrag at 2 am, it started at 1:58 so i'm guessing that may have been the problem. anyway i will see is still happens since i disabled scheduled defrag
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    looks like it was scheduled to run a defrag at 2 am, it started at 1:58 so i'm guessing that may have been the problem. anyway i will see is still happens since i disabled scheduled defrag

Could be it! or worse GHOSTS!
    edited May 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Could be it! or worse GHOSTS!

Well if it is they haven't mastered turning the switch on the psu back on, i suppose it could be a lot worse then just turning on my comp. like ghost rape or some shit :D
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    I have exactly the same issue with the laptop, and it has woken me up more than once I can tell you! :)