San Pedro Cactus/Mescaline extraction

SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
edited June 2011 in Man Cave
So I've recently acquired a large amount of "san pedro" cactus and I was just wondering on how I shouls go about getting the most out of it. Basically, I want to ask whether just peeling, coreing, and drying the flesh of the cactus would result in anything worth consuming. Or should I attempt at a more thorough extraction method with the dried flesh?

Honestly I have little to no chemistry experience so I'm unsure whether attempting an extraction would be worth the effort and cost or should I just eat the dried cactus as is?

Any opinions or advice will be appreciated. I really have no experience with this kind of thing and normally wouldn't bother, except for the fact that I've got a pretty much infinite supply of the stuff and I quite fancy the idea of tripping off my own product.

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited May 2011
    It seems complicated. Someday I think I might do it though, simply because I want to trip hard on mescaline.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited May 2011
    This method is better than just eating the cacti.
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation5.shtml

This is a fairly in-dept mescaline extraction. I wouldn't recomend it unless you know what you're doing.
    http://forums.mycotopia.net/mescaline-cacti-succulents/7933-mescaline-extraction-tek.html
    There is also a recipe for an alcohol extraction that produces resin on the same page.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited May 2011
    This method is better than just eating the cacti.
    http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation5.shtml

This is a fairly in-dept mescaline extraction. I wouldn't recomend it unless you know what you're doing.
    http://forums.mycotopia.net/mescaline-cacti-succulents/7933-mescaline-extraction-tek.html
    There is also a recipe for an alcohol extraction that produces resin on the same page.

Thanks man. I was thinking more along the lines of this for extraction. Adleast that way if I fuck up I'm not going to poison myself. http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25923

and this was what I was thinking if I was taking the half assed route.
    http://www.thenook.org/archives/tek/MePedroPreparation.htm

The first one you posted actually looks pretty promising. The only problem is that it would be bloody easy to overheat the stuff, especially on my stove.

Decisions, decisions
    edited May 2011
    SHANE14 wrote: »
    Thanks man. I was thinking more along the lines of this for extraction. Adleast that way if I fuck up I'm not going to poison myself. http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25923

and this was what I was thinking if I was taking the half assed route.
    http://www.thenook.org/archives/tek/MePedroPreparation.htm

The first one you posted actually looks pretty promising. The only problem is that it would be bloody easy to overheat the stuff, especially on my stove.

Decisions, decisions

Well if you're looking for simple, the alcohol extraction is about as easy as it gets. As far as the second link you posted, I wouldn't want to have to swallow 25+ gelcaps fro a trip
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited May 2011
    Well if you're looking for simple, the alcohol extraction is about as easy as it gets. As far as the second link you posted, I wouldn't want to have to swallow 25+ gelcaps fro a trip

Yeah, I wouldn't mind swallowing the caps, I'm just more concerned about the stuff fucking with my stomach. I'm really trying to find the easiest method without being stuck with a bung gut the whole trip if possible.

I'll do a bit more research with the alcohol extraction method. Thanks for the advice man. As I said, I really have no experience with anything like this and any advice is appreciated
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind swallowing the caps, I'm just more concerned about the stuff fucking with my stomach.. As I said, I really have no experience with anything like this and any advice is appreciated

With nausea, generally the less you have to ingest the better. So whole, sliced, or powdered cacti would be the ones to avoid
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited May 2011
    Smoking pot with cacti is generally recommended just because of the anti-nausea effect.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah, I think I might have a go at the blender/straining method jamie posted. As I said, the only worry I have is overheating it and ending up with useless juice, but I guess I don't have anything to lose. I've got a shitload of the stuff and if that works out I will be bloody stoked
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited May 2011
    OK, so I went ahead and did the stove top method. I did exactly as instructed but put the juice (about a large cup full, from a foot of cactus) in a saucepan afterwards to evaporate some more water, ending up with about half a cup full of liquid.

I drank it in sips over a half hour period just after having eaten. For the first hour or so I had a gradually increasing body high, kinda radiating out from my stomach/oesophagus (my stomach felt unsettled for the night from the moment I took my first sip but it was nothing unbearable. I honestly don't feek much better after taking acid.)
    Second hour, slight distortions/tracers, especially out of the corner of my eye (which is funny because I know adleast with acid, the harder I try to see, the more I see. But with this it was the opposite. I felt shit happening out of my line of site but whenever I focused on anything, it would look completely normal.) and everything started getting "fuzzy", losing sharp edges and borders. I was also feeling pretty peachy by this time.
    Over the next several hours, not much else happened honestly. It actually seemed to intensify slightly as the night went on. I had some great closed eye visuals and had a good ol' psychedelic feeling of awesomeness.

Overall a slightly dissapointing experience of psychedelic blueballs. It was a nice experience but I was expecting more. I can't complain though, adleast I now know I've got the right plant. I think I might try this method again, just ramping up the dosage. I'll give the alcohol extraction method a go one day when I can be fucked drying and preparing the stuff.

I actually woke up this morning feeling pretty fucking hungover and suprisingly scattered for such a weak trip. I honestly still feel fucking hungover. Ohwell, I'll make sure I make it worthwhile next time around :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2011
    Shame it was disappointing for you buddy :( Better luck next time though, you can hopefully bump up the dose a little and get some better results :) Let us know how it goes.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited May 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Shame it was disappointing for you buddy :( Better luck next time though, you can hopefully bump up the dose a little and get some better results :) Let us know how it goes.

Thanks mate. Don't worry, next time I will take a lot more. I just need a bigger damn pot to cook it all in :hai:.
    It wasn't a total dissapointment though. I still had fun and adleast I know I've got the right stuff and now that my "extraction" actually worked plus didn't make me munt all night
    edited May 2011
    Thanks mate. Don't worry, next time I will take a lot more. I just need a bigger damn pot to cook it all in :hai:.
    It wasn't a total dissapointment though. I still had fun and adleast I know I've got the right stuff and now that my "extraction" actually worked plus didn't make me munt all night

Don't eat beforehand either, that usually makes it weaker and take longer to kick in.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't eat beforehand either, that usually makes it weaker and take longer to kick in.

Yeah, that would make sense. I was just more interested in preserving my gut this time. Next time though. I'll be ramping it up a fair bit so I will probably end up puking even if I do eat
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited June 2011
    OK. So I upped the dose, and am now sturggling to write this
  • edited June 2011
    Awesome :D How much did you take this time?
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited June 2011
    Good question man. I boiled up about 5 feet as opposed to 1. I also picked the most scarred looking cacti as I hear that these have got more mescal in them. Boiled that down and got about 2 large cups of good stuff from it.
    Drank half on an empty stomach. Held it in for over an hour I'd say then projectile vomited.
    Shits just got better from then. I'm sorry I'll make more sense, I'm really struggling to write this right now.
  • SHANE14SHANE14 Regular
    edited June 2011
    OK I'll try that again.
    I boiled down and got the juice from around 5 feet this time. I cut the cores out as they were pretty damn woody and I couldn't fit enough in my pots anyway. As I said I picked the most scarred/damaged pieces I could find because I've been told damaged plants have more mescal.
    Ended up with around 2 large cups full.

At around 8pm I started taking mouthfuls of the stuff (with an empty stomach this time and no chasers). I made the mistake of letting it settle and make me feel nauseated as fuck. I managed to down half of the stuff. I held it in for I guess around half an hour until I started feeling it take affect. I had a nice powermunt then I decided to take a squat. At this point I was honestly feeling pretty terrible, but while sitting on the toilet, I noticed the world started to get a bit crazy. I struggled to focus on taking a dump as the floor lapped against my feet.
    After that I was feeling pretty shit but knew I was in for an adleast half decent trip. I decided to have a shower then sat down and watched iron man on tv and tried to eat some popcorn and tea before the trip really set in.
    While watching ironman not a whole lot more happened. Very subtley intensified over that time but by the halfway mark I was feeling pretty goddamn peachy. When that finished I had a smoke or 3 and sat down to write in this thread. At this point I was pretty much peaking and I had good ol' psytrance blasting.
    I also accidently got stuck in an msn conversation with one of my condescending ass mates which was truly terrible, but luckily he left soon after.
    Pretty much spent the rest of the night listening to music and watching funny shit on the internet. I fucking hate being stuck inside on a trip but it was bloody freezing outside and I have a habit of getting lost staring at the sky until I realise I can't feel my legs anymore.
    Went to bed at about 5 I think and had some whoresome dreams. Woke up this morning feeling a bit scattered but alot less than I expected