My tarantula is dead...

MorningsideMorningside Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
so I need a new one. I'm thinking about one of these because they look badass.
P_irminia_Main.jpg

I would get one of these, but I heard getting bit by one is a bitch...
Poecilotheria_regalis.jpg

Comments

• Swamp JunkySwamp Junky Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    P. irminia's are gorgeous spiders. I haven't owned any, but I've heard that they're a good transition between docile tarantulas and more defensive OW tarantulas.

I have a P. regalis sling. Can't really give you much advice on them yet, except for don't get bit. But you already know that. :p

Also, what kind of tarantula did you have? And why'd it die?
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I had an A. Avicularia when I was younger that died for unknown reasons, but I'm talking about my G. Rosea here. It had trouble molting and got stuck in its old skin for a while. It eventually wriggled free but died shortly after. :(
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Most likely a humidity problem with the molt. Higher humidy around molting time can do wonders. My scorpion would refuse to eat for quite a long time after a dry molt, but he was insatiable after an easy molt.
    edited July 2010
    I had an A. Avicularia when I was younger that died for unknown reasons, but I'm talking about my G. Rosea here. It had trouble molting and got stuck in its old skin for a while. It eventually wriggled free but died shortly after. :(

I'm sorry to hear that. :(
    My guess is that it was old age, since most G. roseas are wild caught.
    edited July 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that. :(
    My guess is that it was old age, since most G. roseas are wild caught.

Yeah, I think it was a male, but I'm not sure.
  • Totse BotTotse Bot Banned
    edited July 2010
    Hmm. A spider seems like a good pet. But what if they bite you or something? :(
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^ Tarantulas are not poisonous to my knowledge.

I've always wondered what it would be like to have one as a pet. Are they difficult to care for?
    edited July 2010
    All tarantulas are venomous, to varying degrees, but none can kill you. Unless you're a baby or like 10 of them bite you in the neck. You just have to show them the respect they deserve and the chances of getting bit are pretty low. :p

Depending on the species, they're very easy to keep. Very low maintenance and cheap to house/feed. But they're more like display animals than "pets". Kind of like fish, but a lot cooler. :p

I'm sure Morningside could chime in on this too.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I think it was a male, but I'm not sure.

Male G. Rosea's tend to live only a year anyways. How long did you have it for?

I had a male some years back for 2 years surprisingly...
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    All tarantulas are venomous, to varying degrees, but none can kill you.

If I recall zoology correctly... the only two poisonous spiders are the black widow and the brown recluse.

Poisonous IS different than venomous, but I forgot for what reasons... I'm more of well rounded type than an expert in a particular phylum. If you can convince SHARP over at Zoklet to come over, he will have the answers.
    edited July 2010
    It was alive for a few years, I dunno exactly.
    edited July 2010
    iSoape wrote: »
    If I recall zoology correctly... the only two poisonous spiders are the black widow and the brown recluse.

Poisonous IS different than venomous, but I forgot for what reasons... I'm more of well rounded type than an expert in a particular phylum. If you can convince SHARP over at Zoklet to come over, he will have the answers.

I think the difference between the two is that poison has to be ingested and venom works be being injected into the blood stream. That's why you could technically drink venom and not feel the effects.

I would send him a message but I never made an account on zoklet. That dude knows his stuff.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    2 ways to identify without resorting to a magnifying glass.

Were the palps enlarged and did it try to escape constantly? That's the more visible sign of males.

Females are a bit more docile and relaxed, smaller palps.

This for reference to the Rosea's. I'm not sure how it holds amongst other birdeaters.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the difference between the two is that poison has to be ingested and venom works be being injected into the blood stream. That's why you could technically drink venom and not feel the effects.

I would send him a message but I never made an account on zoklet. That dude knows his stuff.

Shit, I might just do it myself. I was the mod before him here so we go back, I think I've got his e-mail somewhere still.
    edited July 2010
    Were the palps enlarged and did it try to escape constantly?

yep.
  • iSoapeiSoape Regular
    edited July 2010
    yep.

Male.