What I have obtained here, all the information, details, statistics and methods have been gathered from publically-accessible documents. This is all within the Public domain, and thus as a result, I feel this is not breaking any laws as a result. This is merely a concentration of the information. Some of the links to the material can be found at the end of these series of guides.
This guide will cover a lot of subjects and thus will be released in parts. This part is a basic intro to IEDs covering the basics like what is used, what they are and tactics. These parts of the guide are not limited to mentioning and/or discussing chemicals which can and will harm you if used incorrectly. Needless to say if you are caught with the materials in this guide, you will no doubt have somebody pull the “Terrorist” card and get ass-raped in Guantanamo. Keep your mouth shut and have a play around with the things written here. Don’t be a dick.
What this guide IS…
This guide covers how to wire, camouflage and detonate an IED. Wiring means setting up the trap, such as placing detonators and devices to trigger said detonators. Camouflage is positioning and concealing the IED, and all of these will be shown with tactics used in warzones.
What this guide is NOT…
This guide is not about creating explosives. I assume you are being hypothetical with this document, so there is no need to discuss the recipes and risks involved with making explosive compounds from scratch.
IED? Isn’t that a bomb in the road?
Well yes, and more. Improvised Explosive Devices were responsible for 70% of Coalition deaths in Afghanistan between 2001 and 2010 and originated from the Irish Republican Army, as they made simple IEDs from Semtex and Fertiliser. The Vietnam War was also a haven for Guerilla tactics, as the Vietcong would attach tripwires to Russian anti-tank grenades or just ridiculously high-shrapnel content explosives. Take your targets into consideration. Vehicle? Personnel?
There is more to an IED than just an explosive or shrapnel though. Sure, you could have the Tsar Bomb ready to go off, but if it’s in the middle of the street, it won’t be very effective, will it? Someone will spot it and we will have remake upon crappy remake of “The Hurt Locker”. Camouflage, types of detonation and types of explosives/shrapnel have a role to play. Get one wrong, and you may as well have pissed in the wind.
So what types of explosives are used?
Whatever goes “boom” really. Gunpowder on a small scale or for detonators (as well as flash powder or another low-order explosive). Mostly it is either fertiliser bombs or Military munitions that are used. I bet you didn’t stop to think of why roadside attacks increase when Afghan farmers are given aid? Well, give an Afghan man fertiliser to grow wheat, and you won’t be alive to eat the end product.
So…what types (these will all be covered within this guide)
- Landmines – Self explanatory. Bury, cover, run and leave. You can also stack them, but don’t make the stack too heavy, or else you’re dead too.
- Mortars or Howitzer rounds – Remove the end and re-wire a detonator into the nose cone. Press a button, ring a phone, put a timer or pressure plate on and boom!
- Homemade – Nail bombs, incendiary or chemical devices. Usually very crude and volatile.
- Gas canisters – Yes, some people strap detonators or Low-Order explosives to gas canisters. I will show you a table later of the blast radius’ of each size.
- Explosive Formed Penetrator – The most expensive but effective. An explosive goes off behind a concave piece of metal (Copper usually) and the explosive force and heat turns the Copper into a fat slug, smacking into whatever the target is, filling the inside with molten shrapnel. Pretty fucked up, and can be shot from pretty much any angle when placed on a surface.
And what types of detonating methods?
- Timers – Analogue clocks can be set for up to an hour as the hands make contact with a metal ‘contact’. Digital clocks can be set with an alarm and the electric current can detonate the IED. May need a 9V booster within the circuit though.
- Remote detonators – Cellphones, Garage door openers. These are usually countered by cellphone/radio jammers. Very good though as they can be detonated from a long range, even longer in the case of a cellphone.
- Pressure plate – Apply pressure to the metal-covered plates, complete the circuit. Sometimes placed on doors or underfoot like a mine.
- Tripwire – The most simple type of detonating method. Tie one end to a secure object and the other to a grenade pin or spring-activated trap which completes a circuit upon removal of the tripwire.
- Switches or buttons – Suicide vests and VBIED (Vehicle-Borne Improvised Explosive Device) employ these methods as they are difficult to spot, especially as electronics are getting smaller as time goes on.
- Obscure – Others such as radiation (Smoke Alarm circuits) and dark/low light sensors (So the IED will detonate as a vehicle passes over it…or the Sun goes down)
Right, and camouflage?
- Buried – Can be great or crap depending on how well you bury it. Simple ones can be put under soil or sand. More advanced ones have been detonated/found in asphalt roads. Detonation wires have even been buried and resealed under the asphalt.
- Placed within something – A corpse, bag of rubbish, put among rocks, behind a poster or in a cupboard. These have all been found and in a warzone, there are a lot of areas you wouldn’t expect to find deadly traps. If your enemy doesn’t stay on their toes, then a Coke can could be the death of them.
- Suicide – Suicide vests or Vehicle-Borne. Essentially the same thing, but vehicles are bigger and more destructive. Cement trucks have even been used, and the resulting explosions were insanely huge. It’s as big as your imagination.
- Obscure – Placed behind a road sign, within a discarded vehicle tyre or central reservation on a highway. As I said, the bigger your imagination the easier you will find this.
How are they all wired up? I’m no electrician..
It’s surprisingly easy, actually. To make a simple command-wire which you can use to detonate anything from a firework to an IED, you will need:-
- 1 x 9v battery
- 1 x Electric switch
- 2 x 50ft wire (different colours helps, and so do neutral ones so as to not give the IED away, also depending on the force, the size can vary. firecrackers? got for 3ft)
- 1 x Model rocket ignitor (Can pick them up in packs of 6 for ~£6)
- Electric tape
- Wire strippers
Step-by Step instructions. Link as it’s a big ol’ image.
Step 1 – Get your wires and wire strippers
Step 2 – Strip the ends of the wires to reveal their coppar innards. This gives you the clean flow of electric you need in order to trigger the ignitor and thus blasting cap, thus IED.
Step 3 – Take a wire and cut it a few inches from the end and strip. You can put the 9V battery between the gap now.
Step 4 – Attach the end of one of those wires onto the positive, and the end of another onto the negative terminal with electrical insulating tape. Congrats! You are now halfway there.
Step 5 – Put that to one side for a moment and grab your uncut wire. Attach one of the exposed ends onto a terminal on the switch. Do this for the shorter length of wire you have also attached to the 9V battery, and use small pieces of electrical insulating tape to complete. You now have an almost complete citcuit.
step 6 – take the 2 ends, one from the 9V battery and the other from the switch, and attach them to the ‘prongs’ off an ignitor. Use some tape and bend the ‘prongs’ to decrease the likelihood of accidental dislocation of the wires due to pulls or tugs.
Step 7 – Tadaa!
You should have something similar to this. Link as it’s a HUUUGE image.
Of course there is always an alternative way. When you go to buy the Model Rocket Ignitors, you can also get a Launch Control box. It’s the 9V battery, switch, wires etc all in a neat box, almost designed for the Urban Terrorist or prankster..or in this case, bored 15 year old who wants to be an Anarchist.