Looking for some good photoshop tutorials/videos

NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
edited January 2011 in Life
I've always liked photoshop, the only thing is I'm not very good with it, or atleast I can never get the desired look that I want. My main use for photoshop is most likely going to be the creation of propaganda, but I wouldn't mind being good with it, in general.

The ending results similar to looking smooth and well placed like:
Nazi_poster_Nederlanders.jpg
EnthanasiePropaganda.jpg
itp272.jpg

Soviet propaganda was well created too. Hell, even the propaganda 4chan creates and uses for any of their raids are good, and atleast eyecatching. I'm looking to make something as smooth looking as these examples. Are there any photoshop tutorials to help me produce something along these lines?

Comments

• BoxBox Regular
    edited January 2011
    Lynda is a piece of shit.

It's all blah blah and no practical usage.

You're better off youtubing videos on simple text superimposition and other basic stuff.

First learn the tools before you hop off to warping some text and applying a bevel.
  • edited January 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Lynda is a piece of shit.

It's all blah blah and no practical usage.

You're better off youtubing videos on simple text superimposition and other basic stuff.

First learn the tools before you hop off to warping some text and applying a bevel.

That is what lynda is for.

I make all my employees take lynda courses if they don't have experience with a given program.

They definitely bring you up to speed on how to do shit and they actually do apply to real world stuff. That's what the example files are for.

I'm guessing you've never taken the time to take a 9+ hour course from lynda. You definitely learn the program in that time.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited January 2011
    That is what lynda is for.

I make all my employees take lynda courses if they don't have experience with a given program.

They definitely bring you up to speed on how to do shit and they actually do apply to real world stuff. That's what the example files are for.

I'm guessing you've never taken the time to take a 9+ hour course from lynda. You definitely learn the program in that time.

9 hours of hearing some monotonous hick 'talk' about the toolbox?

No thank you.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »

This thread has a shit load of resources in, great for PS skills in general. Other than that, you should play around with the software as much as you can. Set yourself a project, and learn what you need to learn in order to complete it.
  • NegrophobeNegrophobe Regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the replies and sources, guys.
  • edited January 2011
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and sources, guys.

Any idea where you're going to start? I tried learning PS once, and it takes some good artistic skills to actually use the tools properly. One of my biggest letdowns is the fact that I suck at art, so no matter how good the software is - it always looks shit.
  • edited January 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Any idea where you're going to start? I tried learning PS once, and it takes some good artistic skills to actually use the tools properly. One of my biggest letdowns is the fact that I suck at art, so no matter how good the software is - it always looks shit.

A lot of people don't realize this. They think Photoshop will make them great artists because it's some magical piece of software. You have to be artistic in the first place.

I use this analogy a lot for people learning the Creative Suite:

You know how to use a hammer right, and a brush?

Yes.

Can you build me a skyscraper or paint me The Mona Lisa?

No....

Ok. Dreamweaver is just a hammer/Photoshop is just a brush.
    edited January 2011
    Making credit card scans was actually really fucking easy in photoshop, but obviously anyone can follow instructions and just tweak a few colours around and use different images and backgrounds. I just need to get a feel and know for it without the use of instructions all of the time, or without just googling for specific designs I want to do.

I'll probably start out with simple "forum signature" projects after following these instructions above on tool usage. One thing in my favour is I'm good at drawing logos and objects, but I'm completely shit at drawing people, but I'm okay with photography, so I can make use of that. Luckily, my cousin isn't too bad at drawing people or I can meet someone who is good at drawing people and get them involved in my ideals by being in charge of help with propaganda.

I intended to do this with people who have an interest in architecture too, specifically modernist/futurist architecture. Get them with what appeals to them first and work on the rest. I adopt a corporatist and national syndicalist life philosophy as well as economic idea, they are needed just like I (the leader) am.
  • edited January 2011
    Fancy throwing in some Totse propaganda in there somewhere too? :D
    edited January 2011
    When I'm happy with my ability I'll make some totse propaganda too :thumbsup:
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    Negrophobe wrote: »
    When I'm happy with my ability I'll make some totse propaganda too :thumbsup:
    Awesome.:cool:
  • edited January 2011
    You may also want to learn Illustrator so you can make vector images. So you can scale your projects as big/small as you want and export it to Photoshop. Illustrator is a great tool for making stuff like you want because some of it is vector based.