GNOME3 Hate thread

SpookSpook Regular
edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
Shit sucks. Anyone else agree ?

Personally, I think it's ugly. Why change something so much that was basically perfected ? I mean, it would have been ridiculous for distros to keep using some stale window manager, clinging on to it for dear life, but seriously, what the fuck is up with GNOME3 ?

Anyone else feel this or am I on my own here ?

Comments

• KraneKrane Regular
    edited March 2011
    Ubuntu recommended (forced) the GNOME developers to make it more user friendly (like Windows) and more 'social networking friendly'.

Im using Openbox with the Tint 2 launcher at the moment.
  • edited March 2011
    I've heard that they attempted to make it a lot more "User friendly" but messed a lot of things up in the process :facepalm: I wouldn't know, as I've been using KDE for a while now because of my involvement with Backtrack. I've also got Xubuntu installed which doesn't use GNOME either! I'll take your word for it though - I already liked GNOME just how it was :(
  • orochiorochi New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    posted this on reddit this morning:

Alright, so first of all, they take away the minimize and maximize buttons, as well as your standard panel. People have been using this basic design for over 20 years simply because it works. If I minimize something in gnome2 or most other basic windows managers I can click on the bottom of the screen where there's a button and it will pop up again. With gnome3 you have to move the mouse to the top left before you can click somewhere and get to the program you want again.

Second of all, the interface looks like some kind of tablet peace of crap. They've been putting out fucking tablets for years, but no one gave a shit until apple, who's fans these days consist of pretentious fucks, decided they would model one after their fucking phone/mp3 player/all in one device. Now everyone in the media is talking about tablets like they're some amazing new thing. Lots of people are amazed by this innovative new technology that certainly was never conceived of any time before 2010, and companies are creating new pieces of crap tablets for your inconvenience. I mean come on. The ipad doesn't have flash. WHO THE FUCK WOULD BUY A WATERED DOWN COMPUTER THAT CAN'T USE HALF OF THE WEBSITES OUT THERE?!*shouting*

Third of all, they fucking hide all the settings like they're rubbing it in your face that they changed everything and they want you to accept it. You have to fucking work to configure everything the way you want it. They might as well have put the entire fucking thing upside down so if you wanted to read everything right side up you would have to go and change something in the settings.

Fuck it. I'm not using gnome anymore. Fuck no. I would rather use fucking KDE at this point. I'm not doing that though, I'm switching to awesomewm,

To the 8 people who down voted this so far, assuming you weren't just down voting for the horrible joke, have fun with your shit new windows manager.

End of rant.
    Krane wrote: »
    Ubuntu recommended (forced) the GNOME developers to make it more user friendly (like Windows) and more 'social networking friendly'.

Im using Openbox with the Tint 2 launcher at the moment.

wait...is that true? they're not even going to be using gnome 3 as far as i know.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited March 2011
    The current iteration of GNOME 3 is terrible. I'll bet the minimize/maximize buttons will come back before release or at least on a very early update.

They still haven't integrated the app menu's with the top GNOME bar. It's completely wasted space. It's stupid that they haven't - it's a superior design but they won't do it because it's how apple does it.

The menu is as slow molasses. The apps are not organised in any coherent way. There is an over-emphasis on workspaces - very few people use those regularly.

They seem to want you to navigate between apps though an expose' like feature.

GNOME 3 will likely shed a good chunck of it's user. Ubuntu is creating it's own desktop called "Unity" which is pretty good and KDE > 4.5 is at least better than GNOME 3.

GNOME seems to have made it's decisions purely on being different.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011
    It's a good thing Gnome got rid of the two bars because those waste a lot of valuable space on the new widescreen displays. But it looks like they did it completely wrong. Why do they desperately try to change the most successful concept in GUI history - and fail so hard at it?

At the moment I'm using LXDE on linux. It does everything I want it to do and nothing I don't want it to do. I'm gonna try awesomeWM though, seems like an interesting concept. Not sure if I'm gonna like it, but I'm gonna try it.
  • BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited March 2011
    There is an over-emphasis on workspaces - very few people use those regularly.

I use workspaces religiously (Fluxbox). I want to try the new GNOME though, no one likes change for some reason. I think it's a good thing they're pushing changes; it's the only way we can improve. By the same logic, we've been using X11 for years therefore it's the best. It isn't. It mostly sucks because it wasn't written for the computers of today.

Maybe you should give it a try for at least a week. Try changing how you use a computer; you have that chance with Linux. After all, if you're going to use your computer like Windows then, well, just use Windows. It does a better job at it.

I'll post back once I eventually try it...
    edited March 2011
    BaconPie wrote: »
    Maybe you should give it a try for at least a week. Try changing how you use a computer; you have that chance with Linux. After all, if you're going to use your computer like Windows then, well, just use Windows. It does a better job at it.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Gnome may have taken a bit from windows, but microsoft had already stolen it from apple. Plus I shouldn't even have to say that the GUI has little to do with how the computer functions.
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited March 2011

I'll post back once I eventually try it...

I also have to disagree with this. The reason a lot of desktop environments mimick the Windows GUI is because it's a very useful UI. So what if it's "stolen" from Windows / Apple? I mean, the whole idea that created Linux was "Gee, that (unix) seems useful, I'm gonna code my own version of that."

But you do have a point in that I should actually try the new Gnome before judging.
    edited March 2011
    I think you've both mistaken me. I didn't claim that a floating window manager was 'stolen' from anyone. Or that that's even a problem. I just said that I think Windows is better at being Windows, the idea that a floating WM should have max/min buttons is only because Windows does it. Think about it, why should you ever have to minimise a window? The only reason I can think of is because it's cluttering your desktop, which isn't valid if you use separate workspaces to keep things clean. Keep it simple. Why do people complain when people make things easier? My nan can send email from my smartphone. That's amazing! Computers are there to make life easier for you.

And if it really sucks it'll get changed back. But for the time being, try to get used to it. Or better yet, try another Window Manager! You might find that it makes your life a little easier.
    edited March 2011
    I think you've both mistaken me. I didn't claim that a floating window manager was 'stolen' from anyone. Or that that's even a problem. I just said that I think Windows is better at being Windows, the idea that a floating WM should have max/min buttons is only because Windows does it. Think about it, why should you ever have to minimise a window? The only reason I can think of is because it's cluttering your desktop, which isn't valid if you use separate workspaces to keep things clean. Keep it simple. Why do people complain when people make things easier? My nan can send email from my smartphone. That's amazing! Computers are there to make life easier for you.

And if it really sucks it'll get changed back. But for the time being, try to get used to it. Or better yet, try another Window Manager! You might find that it makes your life a little easier.

I've already switched to awesomewm in anticipation for gnome3. It reminded me of unity or something. I used ubuntu netbook remix for a while, and it wasn't my cup of tea.

I have no idea what you mean by Windows is better at being Windows. Of course it is. My hairbrush is being a hairbrush than my computer. What the hell are you talking about?
    edited March 2011
    orochi wrote: »
    I have no idea what you mean by Windows is better at being Windows.

People generally go to Ubuntu wanting it to be an ub3r 133t free version of Windows. When something is different they complain. It's the same reason people tend to dislike OSX. My only point was that if you want to use something like Windows; max/min buttons, one workspace, a goto start button, then, just use Windows.

Meh, my point was mostly lost.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited April 2011
    Welp, i tried out the first release of GNOME3 on Arch. It was alrigth for about an hour but then i uninstalled it and went to KDE.

I tried the full "gnome-shell" experiece and it it was just not good enough. The window management was the biggest problem, all the windows are hidden until you access the gnome -shell. There is no minimize, you can either bring the app to the front or put it in a new workspace. This really annoyed me because i couldn't just glance at the bottom of the screen to see what was running.

There are no desktop icons (and no visible way to activate them). The new "menu is way to cluttered and the app search sometimes hangs.

The best way to describe it is that it made my 1280x800 screen feel like 800x600

I also tried the fallbak mode, which resemebed the GNOME 2 approach but when i discovered that i couldn't resize the panels by right-clicking on them i gave up and prompty went to KDE.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited April 2011
    orochi wrote: »
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Gnome may have taken a bit from windows, but microsoft had already stolen it from apple. Plus I shouldn't even have to say that the GUI has little to do with how the computer functions.

And Apple stole their GUI from Xerox along with Microsoft if you want to go that route. Personally, I think it's about time the Applification came to Linux just like it came to Windows. Windows has just gotten shittier since XP GUI wise resembling a catch-up to Apple, so anything Linux does to relatively compare itself to Windows is really comparing itself to Apple. It never ceases to amaze me how such a small shitty company like Apple has such a major influence on technology as a whole, it's fucking ridiculous. Just look at how they're reinventing the "Tablet", yes I said tablet not fucking PAD that 10 years later Apple did and magically became some *New* phenomenon. Little has changed in that same time besides processing power and the tablet/pad market is still as useful or useless as it was 10 years ago.

I don't use Linux anymore, I guess Ubuntu ruined it for me but I have to admit the Gnome 3 GUI looks more Apple'ish than Windows could ever accomplish. Then again, Linux should never be compared close to OS X or Windows until 99.5% of all tasks performed within Linux as an OS is by point and click. Seriously, the command line is all cute to say you're 'hardcore' because you can remember a string of words, but it stopped being cool by Windows 95. Get with it already. Either stay hardcore (command line based) or go mainstream already (OSX/Windows GUI point-click style). I'm sick and tired of the endless talk as if Linux is "user-friendly". Perhaps it is if you aren't an old dog trying to learn new tricks like me. But besides looking at the desktop that's about as familiar as Linux is too Windows. Once you open the computer and see that drives are now "mounts" or partitions you'll shit bricks if you came from either of those two OS realms. As a Windows user just switching to OSX confuses the shit out of me. All 3 OSes have made a strategic effort to do everything ass backwards from one another as to confuse and separate themselves to give the illusion that not all OSes are intended to do the same damn thing, make computing easier! Shouldn't have to be forced to re-learn the computer every damn time you switch operating systems unless you're in the enterprise/mainframe market. Not even servers are as ass backwards as consumer OSes are. They have to have a standard.