Who wants to take part in an experiment?

McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
I have three methods to test that I hope will make you dream about whatever you want to dream about, it's part of a text file I plan on writing, I just can't get enough data by myself. So here's the methods, they are pretty simple:

The three methods to test:

1. Listening to a sound file before or during sleep. The sound file is designed to make you think about a certain setting, that way hopefully your dream will start out in that setting, or it will be easier to drift into that setting.

2. Listening to a sound file that reminds you of something in your past. I figure it will be easier for the mind to draw from old, existing memories. If you listen to a sound file reminding you of a certain subject in your past, hopefully you will dream of that subject. The problem is the sound file could remind you of other memories, and you will get different results than expected.

3. Listening to a certain sound file while reading about, looking at, or thinking about a certain subject. That way hopefully your mind will draw from recent memories when you listen to the same sound file before or during sleep.

It also may work better if you wake up in the middle of the night then try one of these methods, as you may still be in the right state of mind that will easily drift into dreaming.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I listen to Audio Books before sleeping and I am willing to help you in this experiment.
  • McSkluvinMcSkluvin Regular
    edited April 2011
    Cool, all you got to do is keep a notepad by your bedside to record whatever dreams you can remember, then report back if you get results. :D:thumbsup:
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited April 2011
    i will take part in the experiment but i didnt read any posts in this thread (tldr)

so anyway yeah im waiting to take part in whatever it is
  • DailyDaily Regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds interesting. I'll take part, too.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    Count me in, just post the sound samples bro.
    edited April 2011
    Count me in, just post the sound samples bro.

I only have one and it's basically just the sound of waves that I got from youtube. You can basically just use a song that makes you think of a certain setting, that might work.
  • edited April 2011
    Normally I might offer to join in, but I tend not to dream at all, and in the rare instance which I do, I tend not to remember much of them except that they're fucked.

Good luck anyways..
    edited April 2011
    Normally I might offer to join in, but I tend not to dream at all, and in the rare instance which I do, I tend not to remember much of them except that they're fucked.

Good luck anyways..

Do you smoke weed? I've heard with lots of people that weed inhibits dreams or at least make it so you can't remember them well.

One of my meds gives me trippy dreams (Zyprexa) but I've had no results so far when trying the first method, that's why I need more people to take part in this. If you get any data I'll give credit to you in the text file that I'm going to write. :D:thumbsup:
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited April 2011
    How do you guys not remember your dreams?
  • edited April 2011
    McSkluvin wrote: »
    Do you smoke weed? I've heard with lots of people that weed inhibits dreams or at least make it so you can't remember them well.

One of my meds gives me trippy dreams (Zyprexa) but I've had no results so far when trying the first method, that's why I need more people to take part in this. If you get any data I'll give credit to you in the text file that I'm going to write. :D:thumbsup:

I do.... although I've been out lately... still no dreams though hahaha... usually I have em at most once or twice every few months
  • edited April 2011
    McSkluvin wrote: »

Strange, I remember the last dream I had after getting high. I was running through a forest and everywhere was really dark, like the brightness had been turned down. It was actually a pretty vivid dream, to be honest.
  • MrFriendlyFaceMrFriendlyFace Regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm listening to Symphonies of the Planets, actual recordings from outer space. So I'm expecting to dream of being in space fucking all the pretty alien hoes. :thumbsup:
    edited May 2011
    There may be some hope for these methods, because of today. This morning I woke up at 6 AM and before I went back to sleep I looked at a picture of a child model. I then dreamed about me making some action movie, and the girl was that star, and she was kicking ass. So I'm going to add something to the OP that may help....
  • woolgathererwoolgatherer Semo-Regulars
    edited June 2011
    Giving it a whirl tonight. Will report back with details.
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited June 2011
    Just curiously,what's your working hypothesis behind this?
    Seems like a cool idea,I need to stop dreaming about the same shiznit every night.
    edited June 2011
    Plebert wrote: »
    Just curiously,what's your working hypothesis behind this?

Well you see.... I kind of... don't really have one.... :o

But it really seems it should work, but as I said I just can't gather enough data myself........ :facepalm:
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    The only problem I can see is that the human brain,when it isn't focusing like it should does some weird free-flow association shit,like hearing the word Canada repeated whilst sleeping could just trigger some weird fucking dream about wrestling a timber wolf or something.

Perhaps modify it so that you look at a picture of what you want to dream about for a week,whilst listening to a certain song/playlist.

Hopefully this should start to build some neural pathways linking the two,thus when you listen to the song,the association is strong enough to trigger both.

I was only curious about the working hypothesis because I devised,but never went through with,an experiment involving DMT and the effects it has on dreaming/brain waves.It's a whole lot harder to ghetto rig an EEG array out of a collander and some jump leads than television would have you believe:mad:
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Which sound file am I supposed to listen to?
    edited July 2011
    Perhaps modify it so that you look at a picture of what you want to dream about for a week,whilst listening to a certain song/playlist.

Hopefully this should start to build some neural pathways linking the two,thus when you listen to the song,the association is strong enough to trigger both.

That's basically the third method, but yeah, it sounds like it would work. :D:thumbsup:
    pedicatio wrote: »
    Which sound file am I supposed to listen to?

Just pick a song that reminds you of a certain setting.......
  • PlebertPlebert Regular
    edited July 2011
    That's basically the third method, but yeah, it sounds like it would work. :D:thumbsup:

Re-read OP and yes, yes it is.My bad.

Anyway, if anyone is still trying this (my results have been inconclusive so far) you should know that memory is consolidated much, much better when you link a visual and audio component together.Listen to a song, stare at a picture...resist temptation to fap.Think of the general 'outline' of what you want to dream about.Repeat this as often as possible.

Play song, go to sleep.
    edited July 2011
    Anyway, if anyone is still trying this (my results have been inconclusive so far) you should know that memory is consolidated much, much better when you link a visual and audio component together.Listen to a song, stare at a picture...resist temptation to fap.Think of the general 'outline' of what you want to dream about.Repeat this as often as possible.

Play song, go to sleep.

That might be a good way to learn too, like read something over and over again while you listen to a sound file, then later listen to that sound file before you go to sleep. hrm.........