Disable youtube for every section but IFIOTW

HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
edited April 2011 in Help and Suggestions
It's becoming quite obnoxious to see threads where every post but the OP is a youtube video. It isn't contributing, and it just as bad as posting goatse or tubgirl.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited April 2011
    No, videos can be an important part of a discussion. Say for news, you can post a news clip. For science, you can post some scientific video. And so on.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited April 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    No, videos can be an important part of a discussion. Say for news, you can post a news clip. For science, you can post some scientific video. And so on.

Okay, so only allow it in certain sections. There is no reason why every post needs to be followed up by a 25 year old rap song that has nothing to do with the thread in question.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Members can disable the autoparsing by clicking the box before posting. You can see it in advanced posting.

When it comes to disabling it... Won't work. I am looking for a way to use spoilers.
    edited April 2011
    Okay, so only allow it in certain sections. There is no reason why every post needs to be followed up by a 25 year old rap song that has nothing to do with the thread in question.

This is not a solution. Videos can be found that are relevant to any section. Even if it was limited, there's nothing to stop irrelevant videos from being posted in the sections where videos are allowed.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    This is not a solution. Videos can be found that are relevant to any section. Even if it was limited, there's nothing to stop irrelevant videos from being posted in the sections where videos are allowed.

Um mods...
    edited April 2011
    Um mods...

They'll still be posted first. He's trying to stop them from being posted in the first place.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited April 2011
    nothing to do with the thread in question.

If I had a puppy and it shit in my dining room, I would hold it and show it what it had done, give it a tap and let it know that what it has done is wrong. It does not take long to train a puppy.
  • edited April 2011
    Stop crying, OP

this. I don't frankly give a shit what you find obnoxious, Totse has never been about bs limitations, you're not obligated to watch the video, and it doesn't take anything away from the site... I believe your suggestion, on the other hand does, as it's rather un-Totsean to try and keep someone from expressing their feelings or thoughts regardless of how. I certainly won't be told I can't post a video of a biggie song in ...& Rock and Roll because another (or even, in theory perhaps all other) member(s) finds the presence of youtube videos a desecration of the temple, or simply an annoyance which has no real effect on them one way or the other.

EDIT: Knew I fogot something:

• BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    OP is a racist and doesnt like 90's rap
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    YouTube - Geto Boys - Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta

Hellabutthurt, you just need to learn to be this
  • edited April 2011
    I agree with the OP, but I see some trolls and HB users don't. What a surprise.

Totseans, more specifically retards from HB, loved abusing 'features' and features that were abused on Totse were taken away, or never even given in the first place. Anyone who suggests otherwise either has serious memory problems or is trolling. If someone wants to post a link they should only be allowed to do so, one way or another, via a link. If the likes of FATTYFUCKHEAD wish to do otherwise then, as TDR points out, that's what mods are for.

As for MayTroll claiming video OPs generate discussion, a video is not a conversation. In order to form a reply what am I supposed to do, watch a whole 10 to 40+ minute video in case I find something interesting in it to talk about? Jesus Christ, my life is too short. He also needs to open his fucking eyes1 and realize that even if he was correct, this isn't happening for the vast bulk of the time (see third sentence, alternatively see every other post FATTYFATFUCK makes).

1) I know he's Chinese, but he can at least try.
  • edited April 2011
    I agree with the OP, but I see some trolls and HB users don't. What a surprise.

Totseans, more specifically retards from HB, loved abusing 'features' and features that were abused on Totse were taken away, or never even given in the first place. Anyone who suggests otherwise either has serious memory problems or is trolling. If someone wants to post a link they should only be allowed to do so, one way or another, via a link. If the likes of FATTYFUCKHEAD wish to do otherwise then, as TDR points out, that's what mods are for.

As for MayTroll claiming video OPs generate discussion, a video is not a conversation. In order to form a reply what am I supposed to do, watch a whole 10 to 40+ minute video in case I find something interesting in it to talk about? Jesus Christ, my life is too short. He also needs to open his fucking eyes1 and realize that even if he was correct, this isn't happening for the vast bulk of the time (see third sentence, alternatively see every other post FATTYFATFUCK makes).

I fail to see the difference between a linked video or an embedded one, as to be able to comment on it you still need to watch it...

When it comes to the abuse of a feature, I'm willing to concede that there is the possibility that a feature ought to be taken away if it is somehow abused, but I don't really see that as the case here, nor is it my call, nor am I bothered by it...

I also fail to see how spending 10 min reading a thread on something is different than watching a 10 min video on a subject... and if you don't have time for these things, then I would suspect that you have more pressing things to do than go to random threads on &T...

Please feel free to give me your thoughts, I quite enjoyed your posts about Meta on thedamagedone, and have nothing but respect for your views, at least for certain on that occasion.:thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    I am thinking of applying a filter that embeds the video but in a container so it doesn't lag the page. A thread full of youtube videos really does fuck up users with low-end PCs.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited April 2011
    That would be the perfect solution to appease both sides on this issue.
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    I am thinking of applying a filter that embeds the video but in a container so it doesn't lag the page. A thread full of youtube videos really does fuck up users with low-end PCs.

Even that would be better than having to sort threw 40 youtube videos to find an actual thought out intelligent post.
  • edited April 2011
    Dfg wrote: »

well it seems fine to me.... To make it clear for myself, this is essentially some type of auto-spoiler for embedded vids then?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    well it seems fine to me.... To make it clear for myself, this is essentially some type of auto-spoiler for embedded vids then?

I am going to use Spoiler tags like used on Z.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited April 2011
    Noscript.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Noscript.

Last time I checked it doesn't work on all platforms. That includes mobile. Not really a global solution. But could work in OP case.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited April 2011
    Videos don't autoplay for droid. Anyone on a computer has no reason to bitch because there's noscript AND flashblockplus. Use them and get over it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    :/ Thats one of the major things I don't like about Z. But I'll get used to it :D

Hmm, I am sure I can find a compromise.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited April 2011
    OP - fuck off retard let utoob be