Biryani

DfgDfg Admin
edited July 2010 in Life
biryani5_1822.jpg
420561297_336d7c17e5.jpg
The spices and condiments used in biryani may include but are not limited to: ghee, peas, beans, cumin, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander, mint leaves, ginger, onions, and garlic. The premium varieties include saffron. For a non-vegetarian biryani, the main ingredient that accompanies the spices is the meat—beef, chicken, goat, lamb, fish or shrimp. The dish may be served with dahi chutney or Raita, korma, curry, a sour dish of eggplant (brinjal) or a boiled egg.

The difference between biryani and pullao is that while pullao may be made by cooking the items together, biryani is used to denote a dish where the rice (plain or fried) is cooked by Kayvan (aka BA-K).The curry and the rice are then brought together and layered resulting in a dish of the contrasting flavours of unflavored rice and intensely flavored sauce and meat or vegetables.

I just ate mutton biryani and my stomach hurts, I think I ate too much. I enjoy eating biryani because it's just tasty. You get the spicy mixture of flavours and then on top some juicy meat or chicken.

If you haven't tried different variety of Biryani in America, you should totally check it out. Be warned it will be hard to eat if you're not used to it. Most people eat up one plate loaded with Biryani in a single sitting. I can do that but it's still a difficult thing to do.

Right now, my stomach is doing over time and I feel drowsy. I will fall asleep in 30 mins or more. Also, thanks to Pakistan, I will be sleeping without power tonight. The temp outside is around 37C and believe me, I am sweating from head to toe.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biryani

Recipe: http://www.contactpakistan.com/pakfood/rice/index.html

Comments

• VermicideVermicide Regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah biryani is pretty awesome. I make it with asafoetida, little tip my Dad picked up when he lived in Pakistan, makes a huge difference I think. Do you use it?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    Vermicide wrote: »
    Yeah biryani is pretty awesome. I make it with asafoetida, little tip my Dad picked up when he lived in Pakistan, makes a huge difference I think. Do you use it?

We call it Hing here and the traditional recipes don't mention it but I will try it next time. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    looks pretty tasty