Van de Graaf Generator

ObbeObbe Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
I'm interested in making an electrostatic generator for fun, and think this would be pretty simple. But I don't know what to use for the metal sphere. Any ideas?

Anyone have any experience building one of these?

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited June 2011
    I've seen the metal grease catchers from electric ovens used (Two put together), along with large metal popcorn bowls.

I've been meaning to make one of these too, actually. Pretty sure I have all/most of the parts....so busy though.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited June 2011
    I've seen the metal grease catchers from electric ovens used (Two put together), along with large metal popcorn bowls.

I've been meaning to make one of these too, actually. Pretty sure I have all/most of the parts....so busy though.
  • Mutant Funk DrinkMutant Funk Drink New Arrival
    edited July 2011
    When I made my VDG, I bought two stainless-steel bowls and put them together using silicone caulking. It'll be a bit more leaky than a real sphere, but it will definitely do.
  • edited July 2011
    Stainless steel is generally what's used I think, although I could be totally wrong. We had one when I was at school, it was a shit heap made of stainless steel but it worked pretty good. I got to touch it once, but then they introduced health and safety and I wasn't allowed to do it again :(