Knives.. What do you like?

PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
I've seen a wide variety. Japanese, German, American, Glass, Ceramic, 440 Carbon Steel. What do you prefer? I use Wustof Classic 8in Chef and 2" paring knife.(my serrated is bullshit because it gets replaced oftem) I like em' except for the butt by the handle doesn't like to play nice with the steel. My broski just bought 2 Shun's 8in Santoku n' Chef. They both chipped. (not throw it on the whetstone for a month "chipped") Fucked. I like the german quality. Henkel is nice also I say.

PS: I'm apathetic w/ the globals. they do the job but are too light to feel sturdy.

Comments

• Habaner0Habaner0 Regular
    edited July 2011
    the more chinese made and the cheaper they are the fucking better
  • pedicatiopedicatio Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    Some people say Henkel doesn't have good balance. I tend to agree.
    I like cheap and reliable Victorinox, the balance may not be the best, but the price factor makes up for it.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2011
    Cuisinart.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2011
    I've seen a wide variety. Japanese, German, American, Glass, Ceramic, 440 Carbon Steel. What do you prefer? I use Wustof Classic 8in Chef and 2" paring knife.(my serrated is bullshit because it gets replaced oftem) I like em' except for the butt by the handle doesn't like to play nice with the steel. My broski just bought 2 Shun's 8in Santoku n' Chef. They both chipped. (not throw it on the whetstone for a month "chipped") Fucked. I like the german quality. Henkel is nice also I say.

PS: I'm apathetic w/ the globals. they do the job but are too light to feel sturdy.

If you chip a Shun you're doing it wrong and should stick with Wustof or something cheap.

I use a $20 Henckels 8'' Chef's knife, $14 Mora Craftline HighQ Carbon and a $20 4'' Calphalon paring knife. I don't need high performance kitchen knives when these do everything perfectly. The Mora is a fucking beauty especially for the price. The Calphalon and Henckels are German steel made in China, so they're cheap trash, but they're thin, easy to sharpen, and get abused by everyone who comes over to cook. They're cheap stainless so at the very least they're somewhat rust resistant. My Mora is a carbon steel knife (not stainless) so I don't let just anyone use it. I'm afraid some dumbass will throw it in the dishwasher when I'm not paying attention or they'll leave it out while it's still wet and totally fuck it up.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited July 2011
    I love my Shun, however I will admit that once you become adept at sharpening and honing blades, any half decent knife will do. For those of us that use them all day every day however I feel the most important thing is how comfortably it fits in your hand, although I do feel Japanese blades tend to hold an edge longer than zee germans.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited July 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    If you chip a Shun you're doing it wrong and should stick with Wustof or something cheap.

I use a $20 Henckels 8'' Chef's knife, $14 Mora Craftline HighQ Carbon and a $20 4'' Calphalon paring knife. I don't need high performance kitchen knives when these do everything perfectly. The Mora is a fucking beauty especially for the price. The Calphalon and Henckels are German steel made in China, so they're cheap trash, but they're thin, easy to sharpen, and get abused by everyone who comes over to cook. They're cheap stainless so at the very least they're somewhat rust resistant. My Mora is a carbon steel knife (not stainless) so I don't let just anyone use it. I'm afraid some dumbass will throw it in the dishwasher when I'm not paying attention or they'll leave it out while it's still wet and totally fuck it up.

When you spend 50 hrs a week in a kitchen stuff drops. If you're telling me you've never dropped one of your knives, you're lying.

Edit: picked up a 8in Wustof Classic bead knife today it looks vicious
  • edited July 2011
    Strap by my side