Methcathinone synthesis via Jones reagent

AzureAzure Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
So, tipped off by another user here, I've decided to look into the synthesis of methcathinone. I found THIS set of instructions, and it seems simple enough.

In Canada, Sudafed contains phenylephrine hydrochloride, pseudoephedrine hydrochloride in a 120mg "12 hour time release" capsule, or pseudoephedrine hydrochloride combined with other ingredients (e.g. Ibuprofen).

Could I use that as a source of pseudo?

EDIT:

Here are the forms of sudafed available at Rexall, which would be best?

Cold & Cough Extra Strength

Each white, biconvex caplet, coded "SU" on one side and "WL 61" on the other side, contains pseudoephedrine HCl 60 mg, dextromethorphan HBr 30 mg and acetaminophen 500 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cellulose, magnesium stearate, povidone and sodium starch glycolate.

Decongestant 12 Hour

Each white, biconvex caplet, printed "SUDAFED 12 HOUR", contains pseudoephedrine HCl 120 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: celluloses, edible blue ink, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, povidone, titanium dioxide and wax.

Head Cold and Sinus Extra Strength

Each white caplet coded "SU" on one side and "WL 62" on the other side, contains acetaminophen 500 mg and pseudoephedrine HCl 60 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: cellulose, magnesium stearate, povidone and sodium starch glycolate (potato).

PE Decongestant

Each round, biconvex, unscored, red tablet with code number "WL80" on one side and PE on the other side, contains phenylephrine HCl 10 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: acesulfame K, celluloses, FD&C Red No. 40 aluminum lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 aluminum lake, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, polydextrose, polyethylene glycol, povidone, silicone dioxide, starch, stearic acid, titanium dioxide, triacetin and wax.

Comments

• BungHoleBungHole Regular
    edited July 2010
    Azure wrote: »
    Could I use that as a source of pseudo?

Only if you like tar, or have a huge amount and are willing to except yield loss and a huge work up just to obtain pseudo of adequate purity.

I would definitely consider those pills "gakked to all Hell." Not going to be fun, not fun at all.

Also, the oxidation product of phenylephrine should have terrible, terrible side effects.

I also don't know about the chromates. They're not too hard to acquire, but they aren't very fun as far as contaminates.

Let's just say this synthesis is screaming toxic byproducts, and you better be prepared to remove them. It's not that hard, but it will turn what seems like a simple little synth into absolute hell for a beginner.

Permanganate would be a little less toxic and much easier to acquire, also. I've heard chromates are the best for oxidizing secondary alcohols to ketones, but permanganate seems to compete well with it when used properly.
  • HeaTHeaT New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    BungHole wrote: »
    Permanganate would be a little less toxic and much easier to acquire, also. I've heard chromates are the best for oxidizing secondary alcohols to ketones, but permanganate seems to compete well with it when used properly.

this. Permanganate is much safer, probably much more available in CA, and incredibly less toxic. You could definitely find less gakked pills... See what kind of ephedrine pils they have at gas stations around where you live
  • Hexavalent chromium is some nasty stuff. Ask Erin brokovich. If going the kmno4 way, try .4, that's point-4 moles of kmno4 to every mole of pfed hcl. I personally have become a fan of the chromium. See, kmno4 can over oxidize. When it comes to secondary alcohols, the chromates and company cannot, CANNOT oxidize beyond ketones