Dungeons and Dragons

ArkansanArkansan Regular
edited November 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Anybody here play D&D, as in table top, not the mmo? Just curious, I've played since I was around 13, started playing 2nd edition, was meh over 3rd and hate 4th. These days I play the old white box from 74, mostly because I DM and it's the easiest on the DM out of any edition I've played so far, plus there really aren't that many rules so I can make shit up on the fly without breaking the game.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    I was playing 3.5 with a group for about a year and then they switched to Pathfinders last year. I stopped playing with them about 3 months ago when they allowed some guy who is an absolute cock knocker back into the group as I am more likely to punch his lights out on sight than speak a word to him over some trouble he got my son into last year on News Years eve. But I have played it off and on since the original days when TSR held the rights and Gygax was king. In fact I went to NEOCON back around '83 and entered a tournament table which was one of six tables that the highest "scoring" player won a 4 hour session with Gygax as the DM. I won at my table and got to play a module written and DM'd by Gygax himself.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Always wanted to play, but never found anyone that does it and I dont know how either!
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited November 2011
    Fuck... That's awesome playing with the original DM himself had to be a blast. I too have had issues with players before, it's been my policy since I was about 17 or so not to have anyone at my table that I don't know reasonably well or that a close friend or relative can't vouch for. I started a new campaign week before last with my wife, older brother and a lifelong friend of the family it's some much easier just to have people you know well. I have thought about getting into pathfinder but I really can't afford to invest in a new system right now, plus it's so much easier now that I'm familiar with them just to use the three little brown books with my own house rules and call it a day. Though one day I would like to develop my own system just for shits and giggles.
    If I get some more free time and get to feeling brave, I might try and run a play by post here one of these days.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited November 2011
    Personally I've had a few games mainly of 3rd edition which was enjoyable, these days I am gravitating towards Classic Traveller I prefer the feel of it, if only I could find a decent group round here..
    edited November 2011
    I picked up the Classic Traveller reprint, the one with like the first eight books in one. I've only read the core rules so far but it seems like a neat little system. Character creation seems like a game of it's own.
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited November 2011
    Aye character creation is brilliant, like you say a game in it's self you can spend hours rolling up the characters following their career and then writing up their back story once you have finished their career. I have the reprint which is just teh first 3 books along with book4 and supplements 3,7 adventures 0,2,3
    edited November 2011
    Arkansan wrote: »
    Fuck... That's awesome playing with the original DM himself had to be a blast. I too have had issues with players before, it's been my policy since I was about 17 or so not to have anyone at my table that I don't know reasonably well or that a close friend or relative can't vouch for. I started a new campaign week before last with my wife, older brother and a lifelong friend of the family it's some much easier just to have people you know well. I have thought about getting into pathfinder but I really can't afford to invest in a new system right now, plus it's so much easier now that I'm familiar with them just to use the three little brown books with my own house rules and call it a day. Though one day I would like to develop my own system just for shits and giggles.
    If I get some more free time and get to feeling brave, I might try and run a play by post here one of these days.

The game play was obviously seamless with Gygax at the helm and good times were had by all. It really does not matter so much what version you are playing as much as the imagination of those involved. One of my fondest table top RPG memories is of a game called Champions which was a comic book superhero RPG and the old Boot Hill game from TSR. We had two really good campaigns going in those games back in the 80's which I ran and some good friends played in. I still recall the good guys/bad guys groups I creaed for champions. They were S.P.I.R.I.T. and C.A.R.N.A.L., Super Powered International Regulatory Investigation Team and Criminals Against Regional Nationalism And Law.
    edited November 2011
    I've never heard of Champions but those were some kick ass names you came up with for your good/bad organizations, very 60's spy sounding. I haven't played or even seen a copy of the Boot Hill system in person but I have heard good things about it over the years. Your very right though that the imagination of the players is far more important than the system itself, my biases against the newer systems are really just due to the fact that they are so far different than what I grew up with. Have you ever heard of Castles and Crusades ? It's got a heavy AD&D vibe but with some more modern tweaks like ascending AC and things like that, it is made by Troll Lord games an outfit in Little Rock, Gygax himself was somewhat involved with the development process and provided feedback and some play testing as I understand it.
    edited November 2011
    I hadn't heard of Castles and Crusades before nor was I aware of any of Gygax's endeavors after he left TSR TBH. It had not played any table top RPG in over 20 years before I started playing D&D 3.5 and then some Pathfiner and even at that I haven't played either in months.
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited November 2011
    Always wanted to play, but never found anyone that does it and I dont know how either!

I'm in the exact same boat as you.
    edited November 2011
    I'm not sure of your current situations but I have always found that if your looking to find a game college campuses and comic and hobby gaming stores are usually a good place to find people looking for new players, the only problem with them is that you typically won't know any of them but if that doesn't bother you it is a decent way to get into the game. Playing the game is kinda like writing one of the old pulp sword and sorcery novels as you go, if that makes any sense. Like I said in an earlier post if I work up the gumption I might run a play by post or a play be email game soon, Paco if you and GoingNowhere are interested I will make sure to let you know. That is if I get around to it, I'm working on the end of a semester right now so things are a little crazy.
  • FriggenDaneFriggenDane Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2011
    I have the game, but I don't know anyone to play it with. So it's been sitting in my garage for years. I've always wanted to give it a try, but no one has ever wanted to play it with me.