Protip: Multiple Gmail Addresses Under One Account

fagfag Regular
edited November 2011 in Tech & Games
Did you know you can have multiple variants of your same gmail address that all go to the same inbox?

Method 1:
Say your email is [email protected]. You can also utilize the suffix "@googlemail.com".

Say you want to register an account on some site, but it wont let you based on the fact that it's a gmail account. The googlemail prefix will often bypass this.

Method 2:
You can add a + sign between your username and the @. For example, [email protected] can become [email protected], or [email protected].

These are particularly useful in filtering out spam, or to help you sort your mail out if you use it for varying purposes. You can even combine this with a forwarding account, to make sure unwanted mail never even gets forwarded to your main inbox. Oftentimes, when I place an online order, I will use this method. Say for example I buy from overstock.com, I can use [email protected]. That way, I will also know if that particular company sold out my information. I'll do that with my name, sometimes, even. Use an alternate spelling, or false name altogether.

the-more-you-know.jpeg

Comments

• SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    Can it work for Hotmail accounts?
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Spinster wrote: »
    Can it work for Hotmail accounts?

I don't know. I don't use Hotmail. Go test it and report back with your results.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited November 2011
    Yes you can link 5 hotmail accounts and have them deliver mail to just one account.
  • SpinsterSpinster Regular
    edited November 2011
    I tryed to regester on a forum the requires you to have a non internet email account (g-mail/hotmail) it diddnt work :o
  • fagfag Regular
    edited November 2011
    Spinster wrote: »
    I tryed to regester on a forum the requires you to have a non internet email account (g-mail/hotmail) it diddnt work :o

Instead of using "@gmail.com", did you use the alternate "@googlemail.com"?

If that doesn't work, you can go register a free account at safe-mail.net. Most sites that do that non-internet account thing won't have safe-mail.net addresses on their blacklist.