Memory cards have come a long way in 10 years

edited December 2011 in Tech & Games
On the left is an 8mb Smartmedia memory card from a camera I got in around 2002, which I still use. On the right is an 8gb Micro SD card from my latest phone. The Micro SD card holds 1000x more and is 10x smaller. So, you can say that it's literally 10000x better.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/o0s1mc.jpg

Comments

• chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited December 2011
    Yeah they are making those pixels a lot smaller nowadays.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2011
    2002 you say, wow things really are getting smaller.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    I have a fear they may make penises smaller soon - just enough to procreate and keep the world ticking over :eek:

But in all seriousness, it is pretty amazing. I remember usin Floppy Disks when i was a kid as my Dad would bring back games from work on them as he worked in IT, and I was amazed at their capabilities (the fact you could universally use it and carry it around)...Now look! Those MicroSD cards are amazing for TrueCrypting and hiding from the Cops :D

Ahem :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    I remember usin Floppy Disks when i was a kid as my Dad would bring back games from work on them as he worked in IT, and I was amazed at their capabilities (the fact you could universally use it and carry it around)...Now look!

Good Lord. If you want to play like that: Floppy is 90x bigger than the Micro SD and holds 5333x less (1.5mb vs 8000mb). That works out to 480000x better.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/nnpt3q.jpg
    edited December 2011
    I just checked, my old photo storage system only holds 20 photo's, so how does that compare?

album2.jpg
    edited December 2011
    Oh Chippy, you sly fox ;)
    edited December 2011
    Actually the pixels must be getting smaller. My old camera used to have 500,000 and it's massive. My daughters camera is tiny and it has 14 million.
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited December 2011
    yeah especial with 64gb micro sd cards and 160gb usb flash drives
    edited December 2011
    chippy wrote: »
    Actually the pixels must be getting smaller. My old camera used to have 500,000 and it's massive. My daughters camera is tiny and it has 14 million.

I still remember the cameras that took Floppy Disks lol. We had one where I worked back in 2005 that could store about 3 photos and we used it to list eBay products.
    edited December 2011
    Actually my old photo album stores quite a lot of information compared to digital methods. I found this:
    The Digital Resolution of Film

So how many pixels does it take to describe all the detail we can get from film?

Fuji Velvia 50 is rated to resolve 160 lines per millimeter. This is the finest level of detail it can resolve, at which point its MTF just about hits zero.

Each line will require one light and one dark pixel, or two pixels. Thus it will take about 320 pixels per millimeter to represent what's on Velvia 50.

320 pixels x 320 pixels is 0.1MP per square millimeter.

35mm film is 24 x 36mm, or 864 square millimeters.

To scan most of the detail on a 35mm photo, you'll need about 864 x 0.1, or 87 Megapixels.

But wait: each film pixel represents true R, G and B data, not the softer Bayer interpolated data from digital camera sensors. A single-chip 87 MP digital camera still couldn't see details as fine as a piece of 35mm film.

Since the lie factor factor from digital cameras is about two, you'd need a digital camera of about 87 x 2 = 175 MP to see every last detail that makes onto film.

That's just 35mm film. Pros don't shoot 35mm, they usually shoot 2-1/4" or 4x5."

At the same rates, 2-1/4" (56mm square) would be 313 MP, and 4x5" (95x120mm) would be 95 x 120 = 11,400 square millimeters = 1,140 MP, with no Bayer Interpolation. A digital camera with Bayer Interpolation would need to be rated at better than 2 gigapixels to see things that can be seen on a sheet of 4x5" film.
    http://kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm

Apparently a 10mp photo takes up 8mb of memory, so my album holds 20 X 2Gp photo's which is 40,000,000,000 pixels which is the equivalent of 32Gb
    edited December 2011
    I always wondered how come regular 35mm photos are such high resolution.
    Looks like I got my answer :)
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited December 2011
    Aye, Playstation 2 memory cards were 8mb and Playstation 1 were 1mb :p
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited December 2011
    well i had 4gb of memory on my original xbox but thats only because the wires for the controller port and controllers are exactly th same as usb just different plug type