Good homeless food?

DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
edited August 2010 in Life
Obviously cheap and needs no preparation. What classifies in those category?

Since I can have access to a stove, I was going to make a shit ton of ramen and store in a tuple wear thingy.

Comments

• Wires dead babyWires dead baby Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Take it from someone that ran the streets with homeless gutter punks for 2 years, bagel shops and bakeries are your friends.
  • DaSkipperDaSkipper Regular
    edited July 2010
    I was always wondering about this. At the end of the night, do they throw away stuff or what?
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Make sure you get plenty of fruits and vegetables. Try farmer's market.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited July 2010
    ^^ theres also lots of vegetables that get dropped on the ground, just pick it up from the delivery trucks
  • JackJack Regular
    edited July 2010
    Indeed. Or go steal off trees or something. Homeless doesn't have to mean unhealthy.
  • xxombiexxombie Regular
    edited July 2010
    First and foremost: get a good bottle of hotsauce. On the streets you end up eating a lot of shitty handouts (cheese sandwiches up the wazzoo). You'll really need it. Salt and pepper are also good to have.

A jar is peanut butter is good to have in your bag. A spoonfull in desperate times goes a long way.

Other then that I rarely carry food around if I'm in a big city, it comes and goes so easily. If I'm traveling I usually pick up a loaf of cheap wholegrain bread, a tub of hummus, some deli meat and cheese (pickles too, depending on how much money I've made). For the same price as buying one sandwich at a resturant you've got sandwiches for a couple days.

If you're planning on being on the streets a long time it's a good idea to invest in a little camp stove. Lightweight, fairly inexpensive (under $100). And a hot meal goes a long way after days and days of cheese sanwiches. Fuck, with a stove you can turn all those cheese sandwiches in to grilled cheese and wow the other homebums.

DaSkipper wrote: »
    I was always wondering about this. At the end of the night, do they throw away stuff or what?

If you go to a fast-foodish place (not Mcdonnalds and big shits like that, pizza places and whatnot) they always throw shit out at the end of the night, lots of good food. You can either wait till they throw it out and look through the dumpster (it'll still be warm) or form a relationship with the workers and show up just as they're closing. Most of the time they're more then happy to hook you up.
  • InsurrectionInsurrection Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Honestly, eat some Jews. They are the most filling. If you cant find them eat Mexicans.
  • metameta Regular
    edited July 2010
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    Raw eggs(it is so fucking easy to walk into a store, open up a carton of eggs to inspect and just grab two to pocket, go to mcdonalds and get a free water cup), fruit, seeds (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, etc are all generally either very cheap or very easy to steal and are very nutritious), dumpster diving in certain locations, nuts of all sorts are also cheap & easy as well as good for yew, and lots of nutmeg.

Also drink plenty of water and try to eat as little as you can get away with, which can be hard when you're starving. But worse then being slightly hungry all the time is having to shit balls and not being able to find a place.

Oh yeah! And honey. Honey is most excellent.

Canned tuna if you have an opener, and also peanut butter.

Caviar is very easy to steal, I used to dine on quite a bit of that. As well as lobster & crab & steak & shrimp but fuck it, if you're going to be homeless do it in style.
  • StephenPBarrettStephenPBarrett Adviser
    edited July 2010
    I say invest in a cheap can opener and hit up your local supermarket, preferably one with a sit-down section.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2010
    They have tuna in packages.
    Well you can just stand outside gas stations that have pizza and what not. At the end of the day most of them give the closer the left overs. If you wait there and the closer is a nice fella you might actually get some half ways descent food but as the others said also find some apple trees or small residential gardens because you need good healthy food as well.
  • ImaginariumImaginarium Regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck sitting around all day hoping for a hand out, idk about you guys but when I'm homeless I revert back to my primal hunter-gatherer instincts. Keep moving & look at every opportunity but without desperation. It's not like a bison is just going to fall in yr lap...
  • BukujutsuBukujutsu The Angry Inch
    edited August 2010
    Make sure you bring multi-vitamins, this is extremely important.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited August 2010
    Homeless people are a little stringy. I'd suggest lower-middle class
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited August 2010
    When I got kicked out I mooched off of ice wiener and my gf at the time Not purposely but I did and it worked well.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2010
    Skip Bins at the back of supermarkets. Treasure troves.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited August 2010
    Grocery store theft and garbage cans are the friend of any hobo. Also shelters soup kitchens if your in America its pretty unlikely you'll die of starvation no matter the circumstance plus theres always dollar menus and if you can find a way to boil water ramen is cheap as hell.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited August 2010
    Go to salvation army, or helping hands.